ARB Locker questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I was under the truck putting in the new driveline last nigst and noticed a tear in the rear ARB line. Tore into that as well and spent 4 times the time it took me on the driveline on that damn ring that is supposed to slide up the air line. Anyone found an easier way to do it for future reference?

Also noticed on the trail that my ARB lines discharge when the engine is shut off. Is this normal? Can I change it?

Thanks

you can use the ARB heavy duty air lines, I run them on some of my Cruisers.

I don't think mine release air when motor turned off?

sounds like the power to your solenoids has been run through a "key on" wire and when the key is turned off,no power to solenoids and psssss,there goes your air pressure.....

disclaimer:i dont have any experience with ARB air lockers(always wanted them in my 1993 zuzu trooper though)but i work on equipment with solenoids(air/water/steam)all day every day.

so your mileage may vary :D

doug

Use the heavy duty airline. Not that it's any better, just easier to deal with. If you reroute it, put through the frame rail and use that as conduit to protect it. :flipoff2:

Mine are in a switched circuit. Why would you want them on if the truck is not running? The idea is to use them as little as possible.

Uhhh maybe it's just me, but I'm not using mine when the truck is not running. :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Seriously though, I agree with the philosophy, but if you're in a long string of rigs, each one often makes it through a tough obsticle and then watches the others. If I shut down to watch, I have to charge the compressor again and then the lines, putting more wear on the parts. I've been in other rigs and with others on trails that don't behave this way. Sounds like 96Cruiser has the idea, just need to apply it to a wiring diagram.

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious here, but before I went to CO2, I would simply kill the engine and then put the ignition back in "accessory" if I wanted to keep the tank charged. See, I'm too stupid to remember to turn compressor off after the trail ride and would likely have jumped out of my skin when the compressor cycled at 2:00am while I was peacefully snoozing on my roof rack. Then again, we were usually still drinking at 2:00am, so who knows...

JJJ

The ARB valves are NC (normally closed). In the absence of power to the solenoids, no air should be escaping the system. Is everything wired and plumbed correctly? If this is a new installation and the valves are plumbed backward then you'll get air bleeding out of the system.

As far as the compression ring that fits inside of the fittings, you're better off purchasing a few extra pieces to have on hand. It's difficult to re-use the old, compressed ring!

One drawback to the heavy duty lines is that if you snag something heavy/strong, the fittings at the diff end might be in jeopardy of being damaged. Junk's idea of running through the frame rail is a good idea.

[quote author=Whale link=board=2;threadid=8689;start=msg74910#msg74910 date=1071245807]
would likely have jumped out of my skin when the compressor cycled at 2:00am while I was peacefully snoozing on my roof rack. Then again, we were usually still drinking at 2:00am, so who knows...[/quote]

hence the trail goes on forever and the party never ends? :flipoff2: :D

JJJ,
You using a full size 5lb or 10lb bottle, or you using something like a paintball cartridge? Been fixin to move to small C02 cartridge setup but been too lazy to spend time figuring it out. :whoops:

Alia176-

No clue...bought everything pre-plumbed and pre-wired. But I had to take the tank and everything our awhile back to clean it out and such, and didn't notice anything two intense as far as the wiring was concerned. If power were disconnected from the ARB, then should it drain? Can you turn your ARB on with the car off?

BTW anyone know the standard size for the inline fuse on the ARB? Mine is quite rusted and you can't tell anymore. Thanks.

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=8689;start=msg75033#msg75033 date=1071261497]
JJJ,
You using a full size 5lb or 10lb bottle, or you using something like a paintball cartridge? Been fixin to move to small C02 cartridge setup but been too lazy to spend time figuring it out. :whoops:
[/quote]

I'm using 12oz paint gun bottles fitted with regular CO2 nozzles and an 80psi regulator. One bottle was good for about 6 pretty serious wheeling trips and still had CO2 left, but I changed it just on principle. You can actuate a locker twice with just the air left in the lines once you turn the bottle off. That may give you some feel for how little air these things use. I still carry a fully charged spare just in case and, push come to shove, I have a little adapter to plug it into the 5lb tank I carry for tires/tools.

JJJ

Safado,

If power were disconnected, nothing should drain. That being said, I tied up the compressor and solenoid valve circuit to a Ignition circuit. In the past I briefly ran a switched hot wire to the compressor clutch and it killed my battery. I forgot to turn off the switch and it sat there engaging the clutch and drained the battery. Same can be applied to the ARB compressor. No sense running the air compressor while you're in bed sleeping. I suggest powering everything through a IGN switched power source.

Good luck,
ali

JJJ,
Any possibility of getting more info on that setup? I take it you're using some mechanical switch? Where do you keep the cartidge stored? Yeah, I know it's real low volume, that's what makes it seem like it's ideal. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Flip_anim.gif

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=8689;start=msg75196#msg75196 date=1071283499]
JJJ,
Any possibility of getting more info on that setup?
Flip_anim.gif

[/quote]

Sure... Currently, I manually turn the valve on the bottle on or off as needed. I tried using a Summit Racing CO2 solenoid for turning the main supply on and off, but it leaks ever so slightly... will empty a 12oz bottle in about a week's time. Tried two different ones with the same results. I still run the ARB solenoids in front of the lockers, but I believe Christo has an aftermarket solenoid that is cheaper and works as well if memory serves. The bottle, currently, is mounted on the PS floorboard as high up toward the firewall as was reasonable for access. With a Weathertech mat over it, the passenger never knows it's there. If I can't find a decent CO2 main solenoid, I'm going to move it over to the drivers side on the vertical surface just under the driver's seat. That will make the valve a little more accessible from the DS. I typically turn the bottle on at the beginning of the day at an event and twist it off when we return to camp. If you leave the bottle on all of the time, the CO2 wlll eventually leak out over about a month... I'm told it has to do with the size of the CO2 molecule and the PVC lines... I dunno... not enough book-learnin' to explain it myself. There's the basics... let me know if you want or need anything more specific. It's really pretty simple (or I couldn't have done it) and the parts are all available through Summit or, if you're cheap like me, usually on ebay.

JJJ

JJJ,

Have you considered using NOS solenoid? I wonder if they do a better job than the standard ones used for air only....!

Ali

Thanks JJJ, appreciate the help.

Could be that happens with the leaking since the CO2 is not an inert gas. Dunno for sure, could be due to size. Will see what I can find out. If I stumble upon anything decent, will let you know.

Safado

Coming in late..............

Run the ARB line through standard fuel hose, which provides the protective barrier & is more flexible then the ARB AN-3 lines.

You need to plumb in a resevior tank to minimize compressor recycling.

[quote author=Warthog link=board=2;threadid=8689;start=msg75741#msg75741 date=1071463151]
Safado

Coming in late..............

Run the ARB line through standard fuel hose, which provides the protective barrier & is more flexible then the ARB AN-3 lines.

You need to plumb in a resevior tank to minimize compressor recycling.

[/quote]

Thanks Wart,

Go the standard resevoir, and that would be fine, except for the fact that the lines discharge everytime the truck shuts off. Looking for an electrical fix here I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom