ARB locked front and rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For us un-lucky few that have 80's without the stock lockers, i was thinking what would happen if you were to have ARB's locked in the front and rear without locking the center? Tear anything up, like the VC?

why would you want to do that? You only use the lockers when you have to and if you have to then surely you would have the center locked too. In order, you should lock the center, then the rear then the front.

True junk, but i was thinking when trail riding i'm not always wanting to ride in low. I do have the CDL switch installed, but was wondering if i or anyone didn't but did have ARB's and hit a spot on the trail where they needed to lock maybe just the rear for one obstacle and then unlock again 200 ft. later would it cause trouble. An example would be snow riding, i believe that the ABS is needed in the snow. When you lock the CDL the ABS disengages. But there are times you might need to lock the front and rear to get through some deep stuff.

Dont know about damage to the vc with this but I do imagine that wihtout the center locked up your front locker was just wasted money. ie: deep snow lock the frotn and rears, rears start to spin and no power will go to the fronts. again my truck has spider gears not a vc and this is how it behaves without locking the diff. I cant imagine the vc would care about the differntials being locked or unlocked it simply transfers power to the drive lines. anything after that is just wheel spin or no wheel spin.
Dave

I have ARB's front and back and the CDL installed as well. Two weeks ago on a snow outing I drove most of the time with the rear locked and engaged the front from time to time. In one or two tight spots I locked the Center as well. Since in that scenario, you are in a very low traction situation, it shouldn't matter at all. The only time I could think of using the front and rear lockers without the CDL, would be situations like this, and with the limited traction, it shouldn't matter anyway.

few years ago in the snow, tried to climb a hill, had both ARBs locked.......damn thing wouldn't climb, just spun..............hmmmm finaly locked the center diff and it walked right up........see I had forget I did the mod to manualy lock low range center diff......... :whoops: :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom