ARB Install with Warn 8274 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Paco

SILVER Star
Threads
Getting ready to install an ARB bumper and Warn 8274 on my HJ61. I need to rebuild the winch but really want to get the bumper on first. Is there enough room to install the winch later after the bumper is already on? Or should I wait (less preferred option) and install it all at once?

I put my bumper on first. And when the winch arrived I took the bumper off to install the winch. Not saying it would be impossible but seems much easier to put the winch on the bumper then put the bumper back on. But really I'd don't think it was that hard to pull the bumper back off. My recommendation is to wait if it's only going to be a few more days, but if you are waiting weeks then go ahead and put the bumper on.

I don't know about the new ARB bumpers, but the old ones allowed the bumper to be partially secured with just two bolts, sliding the bumper out to the furthest holes in the frame which allowed a Warn M10000 to just sneak in place. Once the winch got in its spot, the heavy bumper with winch could then be slid backwards into its proper mounting position and all the bolts inserted.

The bumper even without the winch in it is very heavy. If you're strong you can heave it up into position by yourself. If you've got doubts, get a friend to help. Same with the winch. The bumper with winch combo is SUPER heavy.

I'd test fit the bumper by itself before attempting to install the winch. I found mounting the bumper was way easier if I applied a little grease to the friction sliding spots on the frame.
I eventually replaced all the mounting bolts with stainless steel bolts & nuts. After a few years they start to rust (outside vehicle near the beach).

Newer ARB might work similarly, not sure. But installing the bumper beforehand will make it much quicker the second time around. The mounting brackets will already be in place and you will be more familiar with it.

Thanks all! That makes sense to get the brackets and fit up done without the extra weight of the winch. Also takes some pressure off so I can rebuild the winch without rushing through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom