ARB front locker...shoud I or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok...What do you guys think...I have a 99 LC. Going to keep a long time...Should I do the front locker? Will cost me around 1200 for everything. Granted, I want to save the money, but I don't want to have the front diff. break and cause more headaches and money in the future...I am leaning towards purchasing...

What do you think? Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
It's way more fun to have it explode in a few inches of snow requiring you to buy a complete new differential before you add the arb.

Add some other stuff first, and put the arb in some other time.

Why are you worried about the front diff breaking?

I just bought a 2000 TLC. I plan to wheel it, so I'm installing a front locker and calling it preventive maintenance. Having front and rear lockers will be a definite plus also.

Do you have a factory rear locker? I've gotten conflicting reports on whether only having a front locker is good or bad.

I do have the rear locker on my 99....I used to have a jeep with front and rear ARBs and that thing could go anywhere...crazy stuff!!!

Ok, newbie locker question, but if you don't have lockers at all and add just one set, you always do the rear first, correct? If so, exactly why is that, better for push than pull, or something else?

DO IT!!!!

Most people install a locker in the rear, because they are putting in a fulltime(spool) or auto locker. The locker will make the tires "chirp" around corners and can be unpredictable in the snow. The problem with putting one of those in the front is when the locker is on it is all but impossible to steer. The ARB can be turned on and off at will. So, you can disengage it to steer. On the 100 certainly having the ARB in the front would be a better way to go, if you only had one locker. Lock the axle that is most likely to allow a tire to leave the ground.

On a 2-pinion diff (98/99), couldn't you do the compressor later and save some dough now? Obviously it would suck having an unlockable locker, but at least it wouldn't explode.

I just bought a 2000 TLC. I plan to wheel it, so I'm installing a front locker and calling it preventive maintenance. Having front and rear lockers will be a definite plus also.

Do you have a factory rear locker? I've gotten conflicting reports on whether only having a front locker is good or bad.

Just so you know, 2000+ LCs have a 4 pinion front which alot stronger than the two pinion. Also you would want to put in a rear before a front

you would be shocked at how well ATRAC works, I would say wheel it for a little and then make the decision. If your not a hard core wheeler or really need that extra traction, I would say ATRAC works fine.

you would be coo-coo to spend all that money and find out you really don't need them. But then you could sell them to me for cheap :D

I have an ARB air locker on my 98(after blowing front diff on the trail). Go ahead and do it, a tow from BFE could be expensive. Try and find a local provider and installer of the new locker.

you would be shocked at how well ATRAC works, I would say wheel it for a little and then make the decision. If your not a hard core wheeler or really need that extra traction, I would say ATRAC works fine.

you would be coo-coo to spend all that money and find out you really don't need them. But then you could sell them to me for cheap :D

Not sure I would consider myself a "hardcore" wheeler, but the trails I see have a lot of steep, off camber and loose rock climbs. I've had and used my lockers in my Jeep, so I'm assuming I'll be using them in the 100 as well. Maybe/probably a foolish assumption...

I'd be more bummed to get stuck, or broke and towed than not using the lockers.

Not sure I would consider myself a "hardcore" wheeler, but the trails I see have a lot of steep, off camber and loose rock climbs. I've had and used my lockers in my Jeep, so I'm assuming I'll be using them in the 100 as well. Maybe/probably a foolish assumption...

If thats the case, get a rear locker first, then worry about the front. 2000+ has a 4 pinion front so it would be kinda hard to break it, and adding a rear can reduce that risk as well.

Get 'em both F/R (easy for me to say, spending someone else's $ :D). Cost wise, it only takes once to recoup the front axle investment. While I like how ATRAC works, if I wheeled my 100 like I wheeled my 80, I'd go F/R. While farinvail is correct in putting traction on the axle most likely to lift a wheel, on loose, rocky climbs you'll likely lose a lot of traction on the front axle anyway with all the weight shifting to the rear axle. That might be a lot for ATRAC to overcome. So if you're gonna wheel hard, do the front for strength, but I don't think it alone will solve all your traction issues.

Last edited:
Ok...What do you guys think...I have a 99 LC. Going to keep a long time...Should I do the front locker? Will cost me around 1200 for everything. Granted, I want to save the money, but I don't want to have the front diff. break and cause more headaches and money in the future...I am leaning towards purchasing...

What do you think? Thanks for your thoughts.

Don't even think. Just get it and then not worry. No worry = More fun!

AND REALITY IS YOU MIGHT EVEN SAVE MONEY BY DOING IT NOW!

Some of those front blow-ups have taken out a R&P set! Slap that ARB in now and don't worry about anything!

Thanks for everyone's thoughts...Placed the order...ARB front and factory rear...Should be good to go! I appreciate everyone's opinion, etc.

Much appreciated.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom