ARB Front Deluxe Bumper pics on a LC100 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to get the ARB front deluxe bumper for my 2006 100LC. It is part number ARB 3413190.
My LC is white with gray on the bottom.
Anyone have any pics of one of these bumpers on their 100 series LC?
Just trying to envision what it will look like.
Thanks guys! :cheers:

I have the impression that the ARB bumper is the heaviest among the popular choices on this forum. If your 06 LC has AHC, it's worth researching a bit on whether ARB bumper's stress on the AHC is a concern.

I have the impression that the ARB bumper is the heaviest among the popular choices on this forum. If your 06 LC has AHC, it's worth researching a bit on whether ARB bumper's stress on the AHC is a concern.
i'm finding bits and pieces of information, but it is in general a bit vague. do most people just add extra aftermarket springs or mess with the torsion bars?

For unknown reasons, ARB seem to be very reticent about the actual fitted weight of the their Deluxe Bar -- I have seen guesstimates from 45 kilograms (99 pounds) to 85 kilograms (187 pounds) -- much, much more if a winch is added depending on the winch selected. My guess is 75 kilograms (165 pounds) including built-in winch mounting but without the actual winch, including front hoops but not sliders, net after removing the OEM plastic bumper and fittings. It would be great if somebody actually has weighed one of these things and can advise an actual weight? ARB Intensity lights are about 3.6 kilograms (about 8 pounds) each.

In any case, for a while I just let the AHC look after the weight and it rode OK -- but surprise, surprise -- the result after about a year eventually was very weepy front shock absorbers. About then, I learnt about IH8MUD, Techstream (and other scanners) and AHC pressure specifications per FSM. I replaced the front shock absorbers, learned about cross-levelling and its purposes to equalise torsion bar loads using torsion bar adjusters (engine/AHC OFF), and separately, IH8MUD-recommended operating ride heights (hub-to-fender) using Height Control Sensor adjusters measured with engine/AHC ON, and, learned how to adjust AHC front pressures using torsion bar adjusters.

So, with new Toyota OEM AHC style Shock Absorbers and properly adjusted torsion bars, all has been good, front AHC pressure is set at 6.5MPa. No weeping shock absorbers after 4 years, ride is good, became even better after all four 'globes' were replaced, then became slightly firmer after rear springs were replaced with KTRS-79 springs in anticipation of heavy vehicle loads for touring. With unloaded vehicle, rear pressures are too low, 5.3 Mpa, but the ride is still acceptable.

Had I added a winch then re-indexing torsion bars almost certainly would have been required, or possibly new torsion bars. However, I have no plans for a winch and I have not researched these options.

The ARB Deluxe Bar is as shown on my vehicle in the pics, paintwork colour-coded with the vehicle in Crystal Pearl (Toyota Colour 062) and with RoadSafe Recovery Points added.

In B.C. times (Before COVID), the vehicle was used as a long distance tourer. For example, it is 4,316 kilometres (2,682 miles) from home in Brisbane on the East Coast of Australia to visit family in Perth on the West Coast -- probably longer via the backroads we usually choose. So AHC flexibility and TEMS comfort is very important to us. We plan to continue these adventures as soon as travel restrictions are lifted.

Landcruiser - barely challenged - Arkaroola.jpg

Alternative A 14OCT16.jpg

ARB Deluxe Bar Detail.jpg

HDJ100R IFS - ARB airbag compliant mount - Roadsafe recovery point.jpg

Last edited:
Had AHC with my deluxe bar and Sherpa winch on for a couple months before I took it off. Front end certainly felt the weight while driving, but there was no noticeable AHC issues.

For unknown reasons, ARB seem to be very reticent about the actual fitted weight of the their Deluxe Bar -- I have seen guesstimates from 45 kilograms (99 pounds) to 85 kilograms (187 pounds) -- much, much more if a winch is added depending on the winch selected. My guess is 75 kilograms (165 pounds) including built-in winch mounting but without the actual winch, including front hoops but not sliders, net after removing the OEM plastic bumper and fittings. It would be great if somebody actually has weighed one of these things and can advise an actual weight? ARB Intensity lights are about 3.6 kilograms (about 8 pounds) each.

In any case, for a while I just let the AHC look after the weight and it rode OK -- but surprise, surprise -- the result after about a year eventually was very weepy front shock absorbers. About then, I learnt about IH8MUD, Techstream (and other scanners) and AHC pressure specifications per FSM. I replaced the front shock absorbers, learned about cross-levelling and its purposes to equalise torsion bar loads using torsion bar adjusters (engine/AHC OFF), and separately, IH8MUD-recommended operating ride heights (hub-to-fender) using Height Control Sensor adjusters measured with engine/AHC ON, and, learned how to adjust AHC front pressures using torsion bar adjusters.

So, with new Toyota OEM AHC style Shock Absorbers and properly adjusted torsion bars, all has been good, front AHC pressure is set at 6.5MPa. No weeping shock absorbers after 4 years, ride is good, became even better after all four 'globes' were replaced, then became slightly firmer after rear springs were replaced with KTRS-79 springs in anticipation of heavy vehicle loads for touring. With unloaded vehicle, rear pressures are too low, 5.3 Mpa, but the ride is still acceptable.

Had I added a winch then re-indexing torsion bars almost certainly would have been required, or possibly new torsion bars. However, I have no plans for a winch and I have not researched these options.

The ARB Deluxe Bar is as shown on my vehicle in the pics, paintwork colour-coded with the vehicle in Crystal Pearl (Toyota Colour 062) and with RoadSafe Recovery Points added.

In B.C. times (Before COVID), the vehicle was used as a long distance tourer -- it is 4,316 kilometres (2,682 miles) from home in Brisbane on the East Coast of Australia to visit our daughter and family in Perth on the West Coast -- probably longer via the backroads we usually choose. We plan to continue these adventures as soon as travel restrictions are lifted.

View attachment 2432253

View attachment 2432254

View attachment 2432255

View attachment 2432256

I found ARB's description to be 176 lbs. I imagine this does not include a winch, but would likely include the rubber trim pieces and foglight buckets (maybe not the actual foglights).

176 pounds

Technical Details
ManufacturerARB
BrandARB
Item Weight176 pounds
Product Dimensions79 x 34 x 30 inches
Item model number3413190

i'm finding bits and pieces of information, but it is in general a bit vague. do most people just add extra aftermarket springs or mess with the torsion bars?
It's all about neutral pressure. That needs to be checked and maintained regardless of adding the ARB or not.

At a minimum, you'll need to adjust the existing T-bars. Maybe you'll need to install Toyota non-AHC T-bars, but I suspect that's probably overkill.

I've got a Dissent aluminum front bumper and winch. The bumper isn't very heavy, but the winch is. My T-bars only needed a slight tweak.

I'm of the mind that a well-maintained AHC system can handle armor weight perfectly fine. The system is designed to respond to weight fluctuations around 1100+ lbs. IMO, the common troubles we see are when someone throws on an extra 150-200 lbs onto a rig with neutral pressures that are already too high (because neutral pressures may not have been checked by anyone since the vehicle left Japan 14-22 years ago).

I’m going to get a bumper at some point at leaning towards the TJM 17 I believe. Looks just like the ARB and is a little lighter I believe. Just another one to check out

It's all about neutral pressure. That needs to be checked and maintained regardless of adding the ARB or not.

At a minimum, you'll need to adjust the existing T-bars. Maybe you'll need to install Toyota non-AHC T-bars, but I suspect that's probably overkill.

I've got a Dissent aluminum front bumper and winch. The bumper isn't very heavy, but the winch is. My T-bars only needed a slight tweak.

I'm of the mind that a well-maintained AHC system can handle armor weight perfectly fine. The system is designed to respond to weight fluctuations around 1100+ lbs. IMO, the common troubles we see are when someone throws on an extra 150-200 lbs onto a rig with neutral pressures that are already too high (because neutral pressures may not have been checked by anyone since the vehicle left Japan 14-22 years ago).
thanks for the information, i appreciate it!

In B.C. times (Before COVID), the vehicle was used as a long distance tourer -- it is 4,316 kilometres (2,682 miles) from home in Brisbane on the East Coast of Australia to visit our daughter and family in Perth on the West Coast -- probably longer via the backroads we usually choose. We plan to continue these adventures as soon as travel restrictions are lifted.

View attachment 2432253

View attachment 2432254

View attachment 2432255

View attachment 2432256
heaps of great information, much thanks!!

I found ARB's description to be 176 lbs. I imagine this does not include a winch, but would likely include the rubber trim pieces and foglight buckets (maybe not the actual foglights).

176 pounds

Technical Details
ManufacturerARB
BrandARB
Item Weight176 pounds
Product Dimensions79 x 34 x 30 inches
Item model number3413190

Thank you @MongooseGA -- this is helpful information. I now see the details on Amazon USA and Amazon UK. Presumably this is the weight of the bar and all the fittings in the package for shipping purposes and would not include a winch or lights. Even if allowance is made for packaging materials and removal of the OEM plastic bumper etc, the weight is still a big number! As mentioned previously, it is manageable on AHC by using the torsion bar adjusters to cause the torsion bars to carry the additional weight of the bar, not the AHC system. The AHC and TEMS systems can then function properly on the road in their correct front pressure range and automatically self-adjust vehicle height. Height selection – LO, N, HI – still works unless the total suspended weight of the vehicle and all on it and in it exceeds the capacity of the AHC/TEMS system. For non-AHC vehicles it would not be a big deal – just adjust torsion bars to correct height.

ARB remain coy about publishing weight details on their own websites but a guy at one of their workshops told me this morning that the net weight of the installed bar is “about 70kg” (154 pounds) with winch-plate but without actual winch and after removing the OEM plastic bar -- but I think that was just his personal guess.

I had SLEE install the bumper along with OME HD 2.5" springs/torsion bars. I am happy with the ride quality, as well
as the increased carrying capacity. I have had ARB bumpers on two prior vehicles and there are plenty of other good options
but ARB is the original and one of the best in quality/function, IMHO. I bet the front bumper is close to 250lb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom