1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ARB front bumper

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by krich97, Mar 3, 2004.

1. krich97

krich97

I am ready to step up (Financially- I sold a car and wife gave ok) , and just wondered are there any drawbacks to adding the ARB front bumper? such as worse mileage, airbags won't work right, neighbors will be afraid, etc. -- also same question re the rear (Kaymar most likely due to cost,quality etc.)

Thanks! :)

2. yomama

yomama

Since no one else has chimmed in.
    If you are thinking about adding this extra weight you will need different springs. You can drive it without, but a large pot hole would probably take your fender off.
    It adds durabilty, looks cool. I got the rear bumber to add more towing capability.

Yomama

3. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Slap leather and enjoy. :D

The main drawback is it looks a lot better with a winch so you will need one eventually :rolleyes:

I prefer the Slee bumpers. Personal opinion, no affiliation, yadda, yadda, yadda...........and so on :flipoff2:

4. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Good points by -B- and Dan,
    on to the airbags. just my semi-educated opinion here but they shoudl have no effect on the airbags of the vehicle you are fitting them too. this is due to the design of the airbag system and we could go on for a long time on that one.
    actually I think we already did but I cannot recall wether it was here or in the SOR days. be deligent and you will find it all. FWIW both the slee and the arb are good well built units now its just asthetics.
    on the rear bumper go with slee.
    Dave

5. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

Another possible drawback, something thats still unconfirmed but some have suggested, and it seems to make sense, is that for offroad use and possibly even for onroad use, the ARB might more easily fire off the airbags if the bumper hits a solid object. Some have suggested disconnecting the air bag wiring for offroad adventures. I love the ARB I have, the only thing I would change is that I do not have the one for the winch!

6. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=12489;start=msg114531#msg114531 date=1078346399]
    I prefer the Slee bumpers. Personal opinion, no affiliation, yadda, yadda, yadda...........and so on :flipoff2:
    [/quote]

Any specific reason for favoring the slee over the ARB? I'm tossing between the two. The slee's wings apear to be more "swept" than the ARB, allowing better approach angle. But the ARB looks like it would provide more protection. (sorry for the thread jack Krich). :D

7. cruiserdan

I have not heard of an 80 popping it's pillows off road. In order for air bags to fire, a specific set of circumstances must be met.
    The vehicle needs to be traveling above a threshold speed (somewhere over 20 mph or so) and needs to decelerate abruptly (IE, hit something to stop it).

That being said, it is important to mention that Toyota's position is that NOTHING should be done to change the front end configuration of an air bag equipped vehicle.

That being said, lots of people have chosen to do it any way. Logic dictates that it is possible that a "big bumper" would transfer energy into the frame more abruptly than a colapsing stock bumper. Therefore it my pop the bags when it ordinarily wouldn't but you would probably need them anyway.

D-

8. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=12489;start=msg114544#msg114544 date=1078347352]
    I have not heard of an 80 popping it's pillows off road. In order for air bags to fire, a specific set of circumstances must be met.
    The vehicle needs to be traveling above a threshold speed (somewhere over 20 mph or so) and needs to decelerate abruptly (IE, hit something to stop it).

D-
    [/quote]

Dan, I'm glad you got into this thread cause if anyone has heard of pillows popping offroad it would proabably be you since you have all of us calling you and since you probably overhear all the talk from the service section at your work. Just to make sure I understand you, are you saying that the vehicle has to exceed twenty miles per hour in order for the airbags to blow or are you saying that some speed should be required to generate enough force for the airbags to blow? The reason I ask is that if it is a speed thing then I am not about to worry for offroad use but if it is not a speed thing, and entirely a force thing, then I would think that with a good sized granite rock, even a 10mph collision with such a solid attachment up front could conceivably pop the pillows? If you do not mind, what do you think?

9. krich97

krich97

MoJ, No prblem on the thread jack - I have wrestled with that question too for a long time. I like the Slee both front and rear - (ARB sahara looks cool too but not avail for 80 series) I finally started leaning toward the ARB for more on road protection and "Don't even think of pulling out in front of me appearance" due to the upper portion. As for the rear, ideally I would go with the Slee but cost is somewhat of an issue and the Kaymar seemed better than the TJM etc.

10. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Turbo,
    all air bags are tripped off of decelerometers. think of a ball attached to a magnet with x amount of force the ball will break free and hit a contact. the beauty of these systems now is that you need to trip both the outer sensors (the ones on the frame ends) and the sensor at the aibag ECU under the dash. at least this is how it works in most cars. not sure if Mr. T has a different design but they all as far as I know have a redundancy feature between perimeter sensors and ECU sensors.
    I know you asked Dan so please correct me if I am wrong.
    Dave

11. nakman

nakman addict. Supporting Vendor

Phaedrus I think it was here, on a post that I started when I got mine.. at any rate Krich this is a good one to read through anyway, includes how to wire up your lights https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=5547;start=0

12. cruiserdan

Dave has pretty much summed it up. Some vehicles, including the 80 series, use only one main sensor. That sensor is generally mounted on the transmission tunnel, under the dash.

As I understand the system, the vehicle must initially going above whatever the threshold speed is to "arm" the system. In other words a 10 mph thump into a big old rock normally would not be enough to get a pillow in your face.

13. ParadiseCruiser

ParadiseCruiser

Krich -

One consideration not fully emphasized in this thread is application: How do you intend to use the truck?

Christo designed his bumper for moderate to serious trail work, and for rock crawling. The general consensus of the group is that the bumper is sturdier, and has a better approach angle for this application.

On the other hand, the ARB gives better collision impact protection higher up - IMHO - and the fellows down in Oz will tell you all about what a roo will do to a cruiser should they meet at speed. Around here in my neck of the woods, deer collisions are a serious matter, and my truck is used for expeditionary style wheeling - as opposed to crawling - so I find the ARB a better choice in my particular application.

The rear is a similar matter. Christo will be the first to tell you that the Kaymar is better suited for expeditionary wheeling, his own design for crawling and other and serious trail work.

So, it all depends... :)

Cheers, R -

14. Beowulf

Beowulf

>> Good points by -B- and Dan, <<

Thanks Dave, but that was yomama & C-Dan. :D

We have heard the FUD about air bags deploying when off road for several years. Personally, I have followed many off-road forums though only the 80/100 series have been closely followed. To this day, I have never heard of any vehicle with air bags having the bags deploy when off-road. I am aware of two 80s that rolled off-road (both are members of this forum); but I don't think either vehicle was equipped with air bags. I have heard of several 80's where the bags have gone off in accidents on the street, but never off road.

Has anyone got documented information of ANY vehicle that has had the air bags go off at an innappropriate time when offroad?

MoJ and KRich,
    The Slee front bumper is made of heavier steel than the ARB. The recovery points designed in Christo's bumper are true recovery points and and they go through the bumper into the frame. This is true on both their front bumper and their rear bumper. The ARB front bumper loops are not designed for heavy pulls.

The Slee bumper is designed for the Warn M12000. The ARB is designed for the ARB M10000. We all know that everyone runs the M12000 in the ARB but that doesn't change the facts.

There are many reasons the Slee rear bumper is a better choice than the Kaymar but if the cost is the biggest consideration then I can understand that. However, if you can wait until you save enough for the Slee with tyre carrier then I really think you will be much happier.

-B-

15. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

sorry to yomama and to -B-
    my bad, Ron is on it here though it depends on where you live and how you plan to use the truck.
    why is that a recurring thee around here?????
    Dave

16. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=yomama link=board=2;threadid=12489;start=msg114530#msg114530 date=1078346373]If you are thinking about adding this extra weight you will need different springs. You can drive it without, but a large pot hole would probably take your fender off.[/quote]
    I'm not sure what my ARB weighs, I remember I picked it up and moved it around easily enough. It's heavier than the old bumper, but not that significant for this heavy a truck. I don't throw my truck around much, but I really don't notice much difference between my wife's truck and mine, both with stock suspension (although I have airbags in the rear). I haven't measured, but I think the fronts are nearly the same height. If I get a winch I'll get new springs, but I'm happy with stock springs for now.

17. Junk

Junk

Basically, if you are doing general wheeling, either ARB or Slee will do. If focus is on rocks, then definitely slee. I tend to hit a lot of deer and have nailed 3 with an ARB. I've had both ARB and Slee and think the slee is definitely better.

To be candid, I think you'd be happy with either.

18. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    You can run the arb on stock springs and shocks. I do, although not for long.

19. Rich

Rich

I'd guess the biggest drawback is when trying to work on the engine you have the bars in front providing a major obstruction.

20. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=12489;start=msg114764#msg114764 date=1078372389]I tend to hit a lot of deer and have nailed 3 with an ARB.[/quote]
    I've hit five without the ARB :(, so that made it an easy decision. I haven't noticed a problem working on the engine, but I stand on a platform anyway. I guess it's not much different than leaning on the sharp and breakable plastic bits.