ARB front bumper won't fit! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

grayfj40

SILVER Star
Threads
So I got my ARB bumper today and went to install it, it will not slide over the frame rails. So I measure the frame rail its depth is 4 5/16" (each side), and the ARB bumper measures 4 1/4" inside(each side). This is not good!

Have any of you had this problem? If so how did you fix it?
I know that I can grind the frame rails but that is not my first choice.

Wow, that's no good!:mad: I put my 80's ARB bumper on without any difficulties, everything seemed to match up great. I may not understand your measurments correctly, but you are saying that no bolt holes line up between the bumper and the frame rails?

It's off by 1/16th of an inch? Use a bigger hammer.

-Spike

The depth (height) of the arb bumper channels that slide over the frame rails is about a 1/16" smaller than the depth (height) of the frame. I checked the width of the arb channel and it is ok. it's just the height of the channel that slides over the frame that is preventing the bumper from going into the frame rails.

Mine was very tight but I got it on with a bigger hammer. Trick is to not slide either side on to far it has to go on evenly.

Yes I removed the factory tow hooks.

Just went out to the garage and looked. It is tight. Mine went on like a glove. I would try to open up the channel on the arb a little bit, (2# hammer or whatever) then try to slide it on. The bolts will draw it back in tight to the frame.

2nd choice would be to grind the top and bottom of the frame horns, starting at the front, don't do the whole frame horn. Just shoe horn it on.

Common issue. Use a ratchet strap around the ends of the frame rails to squeeze them in a bit.
-B-

Is he having a framerail spread, or box height problem? Possibly a spread fit problem being misdiagnosed.

If this is the case. Then I would suggest the easiest. Do what Beowulf says for sure.

I have a solution, give it to me. hehehe

Ok fine, get a bigger hammer as suggested.

bumper not fitting!

Sorry to hear that!:frown: That is the problem with prodution stuff, someone fell asleep and said"close enough" lets run it. but it can be modified I'm sure, just the principal of the whole thing, I know you paid good money for it!

So I got my ARB bumper today and went to install it, it will not slide over the frame rails. So I measure the frame rail its depth is 4 5/16" (each side), and the ARB bumper measures 4 1/4" inside(each side). This is not good!

Have any of you had this problem? If so how did you fix it?
I know that I can grind the frame rails but that is not my first choice.

Is he having a framerail spread, or box height problem? Possibly a spread fit problem being misdiagnosed.

If this is the case. Then I would suggest the easiest. Do what Beowulf says for sure.

After rereading his post, I deleted my reply because it sounds like he is having a different problem. This seems very strange because there are hundreds (thousands ? ) of ARB bumpers on 80s and, other than the above mentioned frame rail issue, they fit. I'm wondering if he has an FJ60 bumper or something weird going on.

-B-

I'm with Beowulf on this one. I just installed my ARB two weeks ago and it fit like a glove. It did take two people to line it up right and slide it onto the frame but everything lined up perfect. You have probably already done this but.........It should have had a sticker on the front PS of the bumper with the model number on it. I would double check to make sure it was the correct bumper. Other than that .....has your 80 ever been wrecked or winched on really hard?????

That's odd. I also wonder if the truck's been hit or something. Also, I assume there are no changes to your model year versus later 80s?

DougM

just work with it. when i put mine on i had a hard time getting it on
i had to pound on everything to get mine on. lot ore work then i was expecting but it wet on and haven't had an issues.

big hammer and some grease.

also do check the model # as previously mentioned.

Did you remove the triangular end caps off the end of the frame? that would cure your problem if you haven't

I was pissed when I went to slide mine on too! Just would not fit. I never wasted any time measuring anything. I just went at it the frame rails with a BFH for about 3-5 mins and voila...slid on with nice and snug fit.

Smit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom