ARB Fridge on 24V Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can't find my manual, can't find it online... can someone please tell me if this ok?

I've alwasy used 12V or 120V... Does the ARB fridge have internal switching for 24V? Is it just plug and play or do I need to do something when using 24V source?

Thanks

Mike

you don't need to do anything, just plug and play. the fridge will know what to do.

fridge.jpg

Ask Sailor for his manual

I have the earlier ARB, which takes 12 VDC or 24 VDC or 120 VAC. If connected to 12 or 24 VDC it preferentially takes AC power when available, while still connected to DC power. I think it prefers 24 VDC over 12 VDC - at least seems to run more efficiently.

The newer ARB fridges do not have the cooling coils spaced out from the sides of the fridge. This I believe leads to more temperature disparity between the bottom and top levels when packed with food, which is most of the time.
On the Utah trip Eric's new ARB fridge was set at -3° and his drinks were cold only if left at the bottom. In my old ARB I keep my drinks in the upper baskets and they are ice cold even when the temparture is at 3° above, which is where I usually set it.

I would recommend the upper fridge baskets to prevent crushing of fragile foods and/or quick access to drinks.

Thanks guys... I tied it and it works just fine.

I'm curious on how the power supply unit works. I might have to take it apart. :hmm:
I wonder if the fridge electronic's and compressor run on 12VDC and when plugged into 24VDC or 120VAC it steps down to 12VDC.
If that is the case how does it dissipate the wattage?... inverter? transformer? power resistor?

So, if it's a 12V unit, running it on 12V would be most efficient since there is no voltage reduction.

M

seriously it works for 24v relax.
I bought one last year and it worked all summer without a hitch on 24v.
Now I am running it on 12v and it works fine when plugged into the wall at home.

They are quality units, but they maybe cheaping out on the new 'ARB' design.

Yes, I know it works. I am relaxed... I just like to know how and why things work. :hmm:
I always keep mine plugged into 120 when It's not in the vehicle.

On the Utah trip Eric's new ARB fridge was set at -3° and his drinks were cold only if left at the bottom. In my old ARB I keep my drinks in the upper baskets and they are ice cold even when the temparture is at 3° above, which is where I usually set it.

It'd be interesting to throw thermometers inside both fridges... I don't think the digital readout is remotely accurate.

Probably has nothing to do with it, but I wonder if Eric has enough airspace around his fridge, IIRC it's tucked in his drawer rig.

FWIW, I haven't had any trouble keeping drinks cold in my new style ARB, wherever they are in the basket. Usually set around -1.

I always though the recommended fridge temperature was 2 to 3 degrees C. I set mine at 3C.

I always though the recommended fridge temperature was 2 to 3 degrees C. I set mine at 3C.

Yes, but what I mean is if the digi readout is set for 3C it doesn't necessarily mean the inside of the fridge is 3C. I don't think that readout is too accurate.
Next time I fire mine up I'll throw a thermometer inside to see how far off it is.

I set mine to 3C and its 3C inside, so drinks come out of my ARB as cold as they do from my home fridge at the same setting.

The old ARB fridge had the cooling coils about 3/8" away from the walls - allowing for an air circulation space. See below - the wavy coolant coils are spaced away from the inside wall.. The advantage being you could cram it full of food (because you have to being so small) and the space allows cold air to circulate top to bottom and all around the your food, no matter how tight its packed. Result is even temperature distribution

The NEW and IMPROVED ARB fridges don't have that (correct me if I am wrong ) - see second picture. So if you jam the new one full of food - air has trouble circulating and so you don't get even temperature distribution. To compensate you have to crank the temperature down to -1 or -3 to get it cold enough to have cold drinks on top. That is what I was trying to say.

oldin.jpg

newin.jpg

The new ones have built in coils throughout like the old ones. The upper pocket spot is for items that don't need to be as cold.

So they have a 3/8" space between the inside coil wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom