ARB compressor puking gear oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The rig I am currently driving came with ARB lockers and an ARB compressor. The first few times I used the lockers they worked great and had no issues. A few months ago I used them while parked on a steep hill and than I noticed a lot of gear oil in the engine bay and dripping under the rig.

After searching I came to the conclusion that my diff breathers were clogged. I went ahead and changed the diff breathers and extended them. They were not clogged and now I know those are good.

The compressor still pukes at least half a cup of gear oil whenever I use the lockers and they seem to take longer to engauge. After more searching I am at a lost. I found some stuff about the compressor misting oil, but mine is puking oil. Some stuff I found referenced a seal in the axle housing and other stuff referenced an o-ring in an air line?

At this point I am confused and don't know how to proceed with curing this case of compressor nausea.

Any advice on what steps to take next?

Thanks

The pressure switch that ARB has used in the past was set too high and caused the internal seal in the locker to fail.
IME, ARB lockers work well around 70 psi, not the 90+ that they recommend. In my 91, I added a second regulator off my OBA system for the lockers to keep the pressure reasonable.

Sounds to me like you have an air leak inside the differential.

Probably going to have to disassemble to track down the leak. Any time gear oil gets close to your vent port, it will push gear oil out with the air.

Also do what Jon said.

My Discovery (competition pic in avatar) used to blow oil out of the solenoid when the lock was released, not as much as the amount you mentioned, and I released the line at the differential and blew it out, it turned out that one of the 'O'rings on the lock was allowing oil to get under it and into the pipework, the solenoids act like an exhaust for the released air.

The 'O' rings were changed and this did not cure it completely but certainly improved it, signs the pipework was getting contaminated with oil was the slow engagement of the lock. This would happen long before the oil came to the solenoid. Before competitions I simply disconnected the pipe at the differential and engaged the locker switch, the oil that came out was about a thimble full?

I would certainly check the pressure though as per @jonheld, as my issue was before the 80 (over 10 years back) I cannot remember any numbers, I know the ARB pump does not work well under water! Don't ask. LOL.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Mine was doing this. I used plumber's tape around the screw-in lines that go from the compressor to the lockers (at the compressor). I screwed them in really tight and the problem was eliminated. If I am misunderstanding your issue, please disregard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom