ARB bumper whistle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine is a bit out of wack (passenger side sits higher) but no, I've not noticed that. Granted it's been mostly the same since buying the rig 5 years ago aside from being knocked around a bit while wheeling. So it's possible I just never noticed. I'm usually pretty keyed in on odd noise though.

I do have an odd whistle on acceleration but it's been there since I've had it. Checked all the usual stuff. Right after I got it I had a dealer check it and they told me it was the fan. It's never changed since then though so I haven't dug into it. Mine is def accelaration related though. Once it's cruising it only happens under more throttle.

Adding any bulky aftermarket parts like that to a vehicle will def change some air flow/sounds.

No sir. I run the ARB Deluxe with 12k Warn Tabor winch. Also I have a LED Lightbar attached to the upper antenna brackets.

Are you sure it's from the bumper? When I removed the bug deflector I had wierd noises. I replaced the rubber seal under the bonnet and the problem was solved (to mount the deflector I had to cut the seal on 2 sections.)

Yeah because I just installed the bumper and it didn't whistle before.
20191017_082333-1008x756.jpg
20191017_082324-1612x1209.jpg

I'd start by ghetto taping a chunk of cardboard to different areas on the front and driving around to see if the whistle goes away. Once you find the area then fine tune from there (moving aux lights around, etc, to change the airflow).

I'd start by ghetto taping a chunk of cardboard to different areas on the front and driving around to see if the whistle goes away. Once you find the area then fine tune from there (moving aux lights around, etc, to change the airflow).
Thats a great idea, thanks.

Did you have to mess with the fender liners during the install?

IRRC: A few guys installed the 4Runner ARB front bumper and had whistling... it ended up being the fender liners.

Might not be applicable to a LC install, but who knows.

Did you have to mess with the fender liners during the install?

IRRC: A few guys installed the 4Runner ARB front bumper and had whistling... it ended up being the fender liners.

Might not be applicable to a LC install, but who knows.
No the arb doesn't mess with the fender. Thanks though.

I would guess the cutouts in the top for the winch and clutch lever.

Never seen the big holes right below the winch? Did you made those?

Well it's gone now. I finished the license plate mount took it on the freeway and it seems quiet. Thanks for the ideas.

I was eyeballing those 2 hinges (presuming for your plate) - I was going to suggest them as bad actors, but betting they now are bolted to the plate.

My plate rattles at ~70mph on the highway because it rattles a little ziptied to the bumper bar on my tundra, despite alot of gorrilla tape on it & bar where it touches.

Sometime I’ll drill holes & just mount it right. Sometime. (so never :hillbilly: )

I was eyeballing those 2 hinges (presuming for your plate) - I was going to suggest them as bad actors, but betting they now are bolted to the plate.

My plate rattles at ~70mph on the highway because it rattles a little ziptied to the bumper bar on my tundra, despite alot of gorrilla tape on it & bar where it touches.

Sometime I’ll drill holes & just mount it right. Sometime. (so never :hillbilly: )
Haha nice. I put some hvac foam on the back just in case it wants to rattle. Front plates are kind of a pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom