ARB bumper question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the ARB winch bullbar on my 97. I put a couple of D-Rings in the eyelets on the front bottom. Has anyone ever REALLY pulled with those eyes before? Can they take a hard pull? I figure if it's a straight pull they would probably hang, but anything at a right angle would bend the crap out of them.

I would hate to pull or be pulled and have it break. A flying D-ring could kill ya!

Anyone know??

Thanks

Those aren't meant to be used as an anchor point. Use the factory loops mounted to the frame - if you don't have one, then get one.

You're right a flying D ring could kill ya.

Those aren't meant to be used as an anchor point.  Use the factory loops mounted to the frame - if you don't have one, then get one.

You're right a flying D ring could kill ya.

I still have the factory rings mounted on the frame. That is what I have used to pull with in the past.

So, what are the eyes for? :dunno:

How about for regular towing? Also they are a good place to store extra d shackles for when you need them :G

ARB also makes an adapter that goes in there to hook up a high lift jack to.....

doug

ps:dont remeber where but saw a website where a guy cut out those small d-ring mounts and welded in some real beefy(mmm beefy)3/4 thick mounts(or something close to that thickness)cant remember exactly..... ::)

If the towing eyes on the ARB can't be used as a point to connect a winch to a d-ring, what purpose do they serve?

Just wonderin'
John

John,
I think the towing points on the ARB can be used for light towing but shouldn't be used as a recovery point for snatching. You can also attach your winch hook to them. If you need to hook up a strap to the front then use the factory tow hooks attached directly to the frame.

The recovery point posted by Beast (see attached) might work OK on a smaller vehicle but you should do some more research before attaching these to your 80 series ARB bumper. My concern would be that the bolts are in line with the typical direction of pull. This means that the strength is severely limited. Bolts should be 90-degrees from the direction of pull for the best strength.

-B-

ps:dont remeber where but saw a website where a guy cut out those small d-ring mounts and welded in some real beefy(mmm beefy)3/4 thick mounts(or something close to that thickness)cant remember exactly..... ::)
Doug - I think that was a dude from Yankee Toys - don't remember who - maybe Wench can find out for us. If I remember correctly, his method would not be a bad choice since it would have to pull through the ARB to pull out. :D

Thanks Wrench.

Yeah - good thing I had that hard core Slee bumper on my rig on Sunday - cause it's got some badass anchor points built into it. With that 12k double line pull and stalling out the winch - those flimsy ARB eyelets if used would have come flying out quicker than the false teeth from yomamma's momma.

Not too many people realize this. I've been astounded by the number of folks that try to use those as winch points - guess they forget that their ARB is attached to a 5,500+ truck.

No problem.
But one thing I have used the ARB eyelets to pull with and be pulled with no problems. I even yanked/jurked rigs out of trouble.

No problem.
But one thing I have used the ARB eyelets to pull with and be pulled with no problems. I even yanked/jurked rigs out of trouble.
Wrench - pulling little camrys out of the expectant mother parking space at the local grocery store don't count :flipoff2: :D

Try a full size GMC pickup off road in deep snow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom