ARB bumper pad mounting alternate ideas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trunk Monkey

Threads
I've repowdercoated my ARB deluxe bar and in the process had to take off the rubbery bumper pads. The bolts were rusted and the way they're made is by placing a slotted bolt with a nail welded to it (so it can't spin) in the material during manufacture. Well, 7 of the 8 on mine stripped out of the material and snapped. So, obvious option is get new pads - but they're close to $100 from most places by the time you figure in shipping and tax, and not in stock with no delivery date from AUS on the books.

Plan B is to maybe figure out a way to mount them differently. My basic engineering mind only thing I've come up with is a long carriage bolt that goes right through the face of the pad and drill a new hole in the bumper where it would pass through. Downside is now there would be a metal stud looking thing on the pad. Any other genius ideas?

Photo of how they look new:
1684188495261.png

and mine

1684188529828.png

on truck

1684189104437.png

Last edited:
IMO, it looks better without the pads, granted you clean up the seam and holes. But I guess you already powder coated it. :meh:

After I ripped one of mine off on a trail and saw the price and crappy mounting/poor durability, I've been running without them for a few years.

Since they're already kind of thrashed, you might be able to RTV them on to get a little more life out of them?

I run without. I removed the remaining one when I realized I lost the other.

It give the ability to enter a key in one of the hole to tight bumper bolt. Useful.

Can you pull the old studs out, and press new ones in? My Ironman bumper pads just had cheap bolts pressed in. I’d imagine you could pull one out, and JB weld new ones in. I’d degrease the pads, soak them in hot water with soap and pressure wash the grime out of the rubber.

Or throw them out and go naked.

I see the picture of yours. Probably just toss ‘em.

@2000UZJ had the right idea. Clean those up and epoxy in some other bolts.

if you have a grinder with a cutting wheel and a welder, you could fab up some triangular blocks that will meet the edge of the grille guard. Just weld some studs to the blocks and drill a couple matching holes on the bumper to mount them. Apologies for the potentially confusing description.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom