Arb Bullbar owners: a headlight question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrMikeyG

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey. I didn't want to clutter the 80 tech area with this, but there didn't seem to be a different appropriate heading. So, How hard is it to remove replace headlights with one of these bumpers? I will be switching from OEM to Depos. Should I get that done first, or will it be no big deal after the bumper?
Thanks.

It’s no big deal.

I’ve got an ARB front bumper and just changed out my OEM headlights for Depos.

You take screw out of side light, whack them forward with your hand and they pop out. Unscrew the grill and remove the headlight bolts. There’s plenty of room to work in there.

Good to know. Thanks.

Its really easy. There is plenty of room to swap in Depos. I did it when I ended up with Depos for cheap

Thanks everyone. It may be a moot issue though as is seems my front stubs of frame rail are just out of whack enough that I cannot get the ##!! arb mounted.
No accidents reported on Carfax, oem bumper only had a small wrinkle where license plate mount notch was.
Arb has 29-7/8" clear between outer plates of mount channels. My frame rails are a true 30" outer plate to outer plate. Oh, and drivers side seems to be a 1/4" higher than passenger side. FML.
Oh, no evidence at all of any damage to ARB

My frame was also slightly out of whack.

We had to use a porta power from Harbor Freight to get mine on.

Could have done it with hi lift jack.

I really need to start these things earlier in the day.

Post up some pictures. Also, are you using the bulbs that come with the Depo’s or something else? I’m about to start this same process in the next week or so. I ordered the Morimoto 2Stroke bulbs from Retrofit Source.

Use two sets of bar clamps, on top of and from under the frame rails.
Clamp both up and they will pull the rails in enough to slide the ARB on. :bounce2:
It is so nice when they slide on...

So, I'm pretty sure I have the sticky ARB figured out. Thanks to a great many fellow mudders. I just need to get home earlier to make it happen.
@jmlockwood I just got my Depos within the last 2 months, and I did not get the Euro ones that come with bulbs, etc. I have innovative wiring adapters en-route, and have been reading up on the various bulb options (will be H4/H1 of some type).
I have a "build" thread going that doesn't have the build header. I will post up pictures of the bumper process and the lights when I get things done.

Its not your frame rails that are tweaked, its the bumper mounting fixtures on the arb. with the bumper on the ground, use a bottle jack, a bunch of wood blocks to spread the mounting brackets outward. it looks super duper sketchy, but it works. Mine was about 1/16 to 1/32 off, until i finally spread the bumper. Trial and error, and remember the bumper will spring back toward its original shape after a min or two.

Now that this is completely derailed from headlight question; I read your replies(Thanks!!), re-read a couple of threads, bought the harbor freight porta-power type thing just in case and left it safe in the back seat, place a jack and a scrap 4x6 between ARB mount channels, spread those apart, and kicked the bumper on while sitting on the ground (it was early morning so no hammer on steel allowed).
Here's the funny' I mashed it on about an1/8" too far and can't get any bolts started. D'oh! No rain this weekend, so the 80 will get some love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom