ARB Bull Bar on FJ40 - Too heavy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,

Thinking about putting an ARB Bull Bar on my FJ40, but am concerned about how much it will drop the front end. I know they are pretty damn heavy. I've got a 4' Skyjacker lift, Skyjacket Nitro shocks, and stock length anti-inversion shackles. Will the Bull Bar drop the front end noticeably? I haven't seen any pictures on this forum of anyone with one, which makes me suspect it may too heavy, although I saw a picture of one on TLC's website. I'm also going to be putting approx. 120# worth of winch and fairlead on there. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I don't know about too heavy, but when I was askin about it the guys at MAF told me they didn't sell many "cuz they're too ugly!"! :D

Yeah - they're not any too pretty, but I'm looking more for functionality. I'm going to be using the FJ40 during hunting season next year and I'd rather have 1/2 of the Brooklyn Bridge(Bull Bar) on the front Cruiser than have some stupid deer run out in front of me at 55 mph and total my Cruiser, and possibly me. Now that would be even uglier than the Bull Bar :eek: I've hit a Buck in the past and seen other people have run-ins more than a few times so I'm trying to protect my Cruiser. We call bumpers like this "deer killers" in Texas.

Ship weight on them is ~140 lbs, there actual weight is closer to 90 lbs...

I the last 10+ years, we have probably only sold a dozen or so of them, they are nice stout bumpers, but the are huge! That being said, I have a pretty big bumper on the front of my FJ40...

Big question... Are you planning on a winch as well? That can easily match the weight of the bar...

Cruiseroutfit,

Will definitely be putting a winch with the Bull Bar. I need to find out what type will fit it. I'd like to use an 8274, but in the pictures I've seen it looked like an XD9000 or HS9500 people have used with it. Do you know which winches will fit it?

[quote author=78crzr link=board=1;threadid=7933;start=msg66919#msg66919 date=1069628836]
Cruiseroutfit,

Will definitely be putting a winch with the Bull Bar. I need to find out what type will fit it. I'd like to use an 8274, but in the pictures I've seen it looked like an XD9000 or HS9500 people have used with it. Do you know which winches will fit it?
[/quote]

The ARB website says it will accept an 8274. I have the Man-A-Fre bull bar and an 8274 with stock springs. No sag, no problem. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My family picked it out and gave it to me for Christmas. It's beautiful and I'll play bumper cars with anyone who says it isn't! :flipoff2:

Theo,

Thanks for the reply. Got any pictures of your rig with the Bull Bar? The picture below is what I'm after. Seems there different types of ARB Bull Bars for FJ40's.

my budy has it on his 40 with a 8247-50 it rocks its a great brush pusher :cheers: but he did put a add-a-leaf in the frt cause it dropped about a 1in he was also running OME springs

[quote author=78crzr link=board=1;threadid=7933;start=msg67235#msg67235 date=1069691995]
Theo,

Thanks for the reply. Got any pictures of your rig with the Bull Bar? The picture below is what I'm after. Seems there different types of ARB Bull Bars for FJ40's.
[/quote]

thats a Jeep TJ bull bar

LOTS of guys make it fit its not suposed to be hard but i have never done it ... i had that bar in my TJ ;)..... ARB AU has one they "show" with it on there too SO it cant be that hard ... i wanted to put a 40 bar on my TJ :-\ but i'm a brush jumper i like the cover it gets you

[quote author=78crzr link=board=1;threadid=7933;start=msg67235#msg67235 date=1069691995]
Theo,

[/quote]

I'll get you a pic tonight. Mine is the "high-rise" style that protects the headlights too. Not sure you'll like it. I'll get the cost and part numbers if I can find them.

52100winch.jpg

this one

from here http://www.man-a-fre.com

Well, you're right Kling-on, it is a TJ bumper that TLC modified to fit an FJ40. Pisses me off that they post it on their website like that is the ARB made for an FJ40 and come to find out it isn't. Glad I didn't order one from them using their part# listed because I would have paid $875.00 with shipping and gotten something completely different than they have pictured. Guess I'm on the hunt for a good fabricator in Central/South Texas that can modify that TJ bumper to fit my 40. :mad:

I like the looks of the ARB TJ bar on the 40.......but it does a good job of blocking the headlights. Jim at ARB asked me a few years ago to bring a 40 over for them to fit a TJ bar onto, at that time my 65 fj40 F motor took a crap on me, so I didn't have a 40........might have to ring em up again.

The ARB bar MENT for a fj40 will take a 8274, my buddy has one.

The MAF 4+ stuff is very nice, I have the basic bumper w/8274 on my fj45 and I really like it.

[quote author=kling-on link=board=1;threadid=7933;start=msg67276#msg67276 date=1069695538]
52100winch.jpg

this one

from here http://www.man-a-fre.com
[/quote]

When I asked MAF about this one they said it was for a 55. They sent me a pic of the one for the 40 and it wasn't like either pic here.

Yeah that's the type the guy at TLC told me they are going with these days. There is a TLC advertisement in Toyota Trails that I'm sure everyone has seen showing an FJ40 with one of the MAF type with an 8274 Winch. I'll find someone here in Texas to massage the TJ bumper to fit my 40. Can't be that tough. :D

Landpimp,

Looks like there are 2 different versions of the Jeep bumper. One for TJ's and one for YJ's. It appears that they have lowered the side bars on the TJ to accomodate the turn signals and therefore doesn't block the headlights. The YJ picture looks more like the one on the TLC website where the side bars are quite a bit higher and do block some fo the headlights. Wonder how the frame of the TJ compares to the YJ in terms of width and if the TJ bumper would fit a 40 with some modification? Hate to do it but I may have to inspect the frame rails of a YJ and TJ to check out the difference. Thats going to be a horrible experience inspecting any Heep - kind of like how a Gynecologist must feel examining a fat ugly woman. :eek:

Here's the TJ pic... Sorry to post pictures of Heeps here boys. Just trying to illustrate my point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom