ARB Base Rack-Want to buy one for my LC but I hear the noise is terrible..> (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, i have a 200 series as many know and I need a roof rack. I really like the ARB base rack but have heard not so great things about the road noise. I hear amazing things about the rack, like everything else is really really great except the wind road noise.

I would be buying the full rack with FULL RAILS. Like a basket all the way around.

I posted a few weeks ago on something similar but got zero responses. Please can you all give me your ownership review about the wind noise if you own one? I would really appreciate it.

My 2nd choice is to the the Frontrunner Slimline 2 full rack with the full rails.

Thank you all in advance and hoping to hear some real world feedback.
Eric

Hi all, i have a 200 series as many know and I need a roof rack. I really like the ARB base rack but have heard not so great things about the road noise. I hear amazing things about the rack, like everything else is really really great except the wind road noise.

I would be buying the full rack with FULL RAILS. Like a basket all the way around.

I posted a few weeks ago on something similar but got zero responses. Please can you all give me your ownership review about the wind noise if you own one? I would really appreciate it.

My 2nd choice is to the the Frontrunner Slimline 2 full rack with the full rails.

Thank you all in advance and hoping to hear some real world feedback.
Eric

I installed a 51x84 base rack with wind deflector and the Slimline light bar on my 2020 HE and does not create any more noise than the factory rack did. Note I never open the sunroof, so I don't get the buffeting through the sunroof as many here complained about.

IMG_20220206_133721481_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220113_100943898_HDR.jpg

I also have a full length ARB Base rack with wind deflector and there is no discernable wind noise. Although, I'm not sure how much noise would be added by the rails.

I have the same as above. Nothing noticeable except a 1 particular speed and wind direction on the highway. Sound is coming from above my head but can’t pinpoint why it only happens in that 1 particular scenario.

I had one of those Baja Rack universal Mega Mule’s before and that was noisy all the time.

But yeah LOVE the rack otherwise and IMO looks so much better than any of the alternatives

868DEA2A-5C83-4385-A15A-4F2E9D317743.jpeg

They all make noise. My ARB makes a whistling noise.

Only rack that seems the most quiet is the gobi. Price is higher, but it's a better rack.

if i were you guys, i would take a 4x5" piece of steel, and a metal c clamp, and move it around until i found a place where the roof rack wind noise goes away.
if it is "whistling", that is a resonance, and stopping that resonance somehow is what you are trying to do

Some black 550 cord works well too for pin pointing/stopping wind noise. The whistle noise mostly comes from the airs even flow over the bars and collapsing on the rear negative pressure side of the bar. Wrapping the bars with some 550 will disrupt the even flow around them, and it is usually up front on the rack because air is turbulent by the time it makes it to the rear. You can sort of see the cord on the top front bars on my 100 BIOR rack.
20200715_114539.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom