ARB BASE RACK AND SHARK FIN ANTENNA ISSUE ON 2021 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning. So we have an issue or "opportunity". We have been working to install the new ARB Base Rack on our 2021 build. The Base Rack does not clear the Shark Fin.

I cannot get a clear answer on what the Shark Fin Antenna REALLY does: SiriusXM only? SiriusXM and NAV????

So I need that answer first, then we need to come up with an alternate antenna that will allow Satellite Radio to still function on the truck.

Your thoughts and input solutions are appreciated.

Obviously whatever we do come up with won't be in the same location as the Shark Fin as the Base Rack completely covers it anyway.

Thanks in advance.

PS, I already read the thread of the gentleman who ripped his off with the garage door.

tempImageQBd4zG.png

tempImageDGLmSk.png

Can you provide any other pictures of the rack in relation to the fin? How close is it?
I was at the shop yesterday and the guys said it touches the rack and won't work. So we are trying to figure out an alternative antenna and placement of it. But we don't know yet what all the functions are so we can get something appropriate.

I assume it is satellite radio only, but really don't know. One way to see would be to unplug the antenna where it enters the us passenger side D pillar. As I recall, it plugs in near the top, so it is a fair amount of trim removal to get to it. I took the panels out to install power ports after I removed my third row and seatbelts. If you like garage projects, it isn't a tough job, just a little time consuming.

I couldn't swear to it, but I think this may be where it plugs in:
C1DDABA6-B850-4541-8519-B0CEF78C5189.jpeg

Last edited:
I assume it is satellite radio only, but really don't know. One way to see would be to unplug the antenna where it enters the us passenger side D pillar. As I recall, it plugs in near the top, so it is a fair amount of trim removal to get to it. I took the panels out to install power ports after I removed my third row and seatbelts. If you like garage projects, it isn't a tough job, just a little time consuming.
Headliner is coming out tomorrow. Panels already out.

tempImagehoFXUs.png

tempImageZf4Kqm.png

I added to my post above - look on your passenger side, above where your power opener motor is, just about where the headliner would meet the upper trim panel.

Wouldn't be easier to just modify the rack to clear?

Wouldn't be easier to just modify the rack to clear?
I thought about that, but even by doing that (and maybe compromising its strength) the Shark Fin will still be rendered useless, which is not acceptable, so I feel I need to get some sort of replacement or even 2 replacements if we need to divide up what the tasks are....

why not a different rack? Many racks dont have an issue with the fin

I thought about that, but even by doing that (and maybe compromising its strength) the Shark Fin will still be rendered useless, which is not acceptable, so I feel I need to get some sort of replacement or even 2 replacements if we need to divide up what the tasks are....

Is it not possible to adjust the fore/aft positioning of the rack platform? Maybe move the platform forward enough to clear the fin?

Just a thought.

Is it not possible to adjust the fore/aft positioning of the rack platform? Maybe move the platform forward enough to clear the fin?

Just a thought.
The way the rack mounts there is minimal adjustment. And we are committed to this one now. It is nicely built with VERY few bolts to potentially corrode or cause paint issues where I live, in Upstate, NY.

Would be helpful if ARB chimed in...Having a hard time believing that this wasn't discovered in R and D by such a reputable manufacturer.

Would be helpful if ARB chimed in...Having a hard time believing that this wasn't discovered in R and D by such a reputable manufacturer.

Agreed. Seems like a massive oversight.

Or not. If the antenna is only on up spec VX or VX-R, maybe most of their global market doesn't have this antenna to worry about. The us is such a small market...

Or not. If the antenna is only on up spec VX or VX-R, maybe most of their global market doesn't have this antenna to worry about. The us is such a small market...
Scale is relative here. It's advertised on the arbusa.com website and NA print material extensively. Millions of $ spent to market, ship and distribute components and mounting accessories in NA.

Even though it's not designed specifically for LC200's, it's an important part of ARB's market. Their application/fitting guide shows it as compatible with no noted modifications for US-bought LC200 2016-on (there is no "fine print" yet, that may change). If it ends up not fitting they will need to manufacture, ship and distribute mounting adapters at no cost to those who have already purchased. Economically speaking it's a big deal for them.

Last edited:
Scale is relative here. It's advertised on the arbusa.com website and NA print material extensively. Millions of $ spent to market, ship and distribute components and mounting accessories in NA.

Their application/fitting guide shows it as compatible with no noted modifications for US-bought LC200 2016-on (there is no "fine print" yet, that may change). If it ends up not fitting they will need to manufacture, ship and distribute mounting adapters at no cost to those who have already purchased. Economically speaking it's a big deal for them.
I have a Base11 on order, with expected shipping some time this week. I've reached out to my distributor requesting they get clarification from ARB.

Even though it's not designed specifically for LC200's, it's an important part of ARB's market. Their application/fitting guide shows it as compatible with no noted modifications for US-bought LC200 2016-on (there is no "fine print" yet, that may change). If it ends up not fitting they will need to manufacture, ship and distribute mounting adapters at no cost to those who have already purchased. Economically speaking it's a big deal for them
I think you vastly over estimate the importance of the US land cruiser market, but we're all entitled to our opinions.

Didn't mean any disrespect toward your opinion. I have no doubt ARB can absorb the cost required to remedy this, if needed.

If they did in fact manufacture a faulty URJ200-specific mounting kit it would still be a mistake that costs them $ which would need to be recouped. We know who ends up paying.

Bottom line is that this is all speculative at this point, and I'm guilty of getting caught up in the silliness. ☮️

Even accounting for this it surprises me that ARB would overlook figment issues on upper trim models.

Is the US antenna the same as on ROW VX/VX-R’s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom