arb air compressor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello I want to get air on board but do not want to carry a tank; at a recent show i seen the arb aircompressor does anyone have this unit ifso is it good? and does it work fairly fast? I dont know much about these things it state 2.18cfm liters /minute is that good? thanks for any input

ARB Air Locker Heavy Duty 4x4 Bumpers

I am building an on-board air system right now. But you don't need a name brand compressor to get the job done. I found a compressor at Pep Boys for $30 (and they have a heavier duty model for twice that) that will more than adequately serve all your needs. I will check the specs when I go home later, but it can fill a truck tire in less than 4 minutes.

I am rigging mine with a tank and air lines from the engine compartment to the rear of the vehicle just below the passenger side rear vent window. The whole system will be less than $150 in the end, including fittings, hose, compressor, etc. For a tank I am converting an old aluminum fire extinguisher (free).

I will post pix when I get it all together. Good luck.

I evaluated compressors a few years ago for an ARB locker and air tank set up on a different vehicle. The ARB compressor does not have the volume ability and other features that other compact models have. I ended up going with a Big Red. You should look at other purpose built compressors. Many models have better features than the ARB.

thanks guys this is the info i was looking for thats why i love this site; this week end i will try to shop around and look for some models. thanks again

is there room under the hood for that whole puma set up with some creative locations?

that was my next question but you beat me to it; it looks a bit big to fit under the hood. It would be perfect to just throw in the back for trips but i am looking for a permanent instal to have on board all the time. anyone have this unit installed????

Specs
Dimentions: 15" High, 14" Long, 5" Deep
100% Duty Cycle
30 amp draw
1750 rpm
60 dec noise level
23 lbs
1 Year warranty

I think it could fit completely under there (by the passenger side firewall) if you move the PS reservoir. But separating the tank and mounting that elsewhere might work better.

Added: Read Tools R Us review on it. His dimensions are slightly larger. Supposedly the compressor is a rebadged Extreme Aire or Max Air compressor. I do not know if that is true.

Last edited:
The ARB pumps i am familiar with will make you sad if you try to fill tires with them.

A lot of guys use this compressor Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices they work pretty well and are cheap. If all you want to do air up tires you really don't need a pressure tank, and you couldn't practically mount one big enough to do you much good for that application anyway.

The PUMA compressors are very nice. I am with TOOLS R US right now in Moab. He removed a flat tire with a 3/8 air drill and removed all 5 lug nuts without the compressor even turning on. For $200 you cannot go wrong with the Puma unit. The tank can motor can be seperated in order to save some space and get creative with your locations.

thansk for all the info i think the puma one is the way to go; some time back i seen one mounted in a 80 series (inside in the rear) but that truck was a bit utilitarian inside. My problem is that i still use the 3rd row on occasion for my daughters friends.

The PUMA one is nice, big and fast, but for $60 for the Harbor freight you would be hard pressed to go wrong. It is portable, can be thrown in any vehicle or trailer, including someone elses and will do the job most people require it for. If you are serious 4x4ing and airing down and up your tires all the time then the PUMA or other systems would be an advantage.
ARB's newer compressor is more than double the output of their older model, it now does 2.18 cfm @ 29 psi, but is a lot smaller than the PUMA but also has a lower output.

The PUMA one is nice, big and fast, but for $60 for the Harbor freight you would be hard pressed to go wrong. It is portable, can be thrown in any vehicle or trailer, including someone elses and will do the job most people require it for. If you are serious 4x4ing and airing down and up your tires all the time then the PUMA or other systems would be an advantage.
ARB's newer compressor is more than double the output of their older model, it now does 2.18 cfm @ 29 psi, but is a lot smaller than the PUMA but also has a lower output.

I think I am serious, I plan to get the HF $60 compressor for my 100. :confused:

I think I am serious, I plan to get the HF $60 compressor for my 100. :confused:

Well it is easy, small, portable, should pump up a flat tire in five minutes, at the price you can get one for each vehicle! Its specifications are better than the older style ARB unit, but not as good as the new one. You do however get "everything" with this one for $60, gauge, hose, fittings etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom