ARB Adjustments...100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed, well i had the shop install, an ARB bullbar on the front of my 98. It doesnt seem to be adjusted right on the passenger side. There is an 1 1/2 gap from the top of the bullbar to the underside of the front part of the wheel well. How do i bring the PS up a bit?? Everything seems tight...

it also doesnt seem pushed as far back either, but wheni look under it it doesnt seem that it can go back any further........

wtf??
IMG00021-20090307-1015.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Its kind of a pain to adjust the bumper because all of the bolts need to be loosened. But you can get it even and put where you want it. Having 2 people makes the job much easier to keep things aligned while you are tightening things back up.

Its kind of a pain to adjust the bumper because all of the bolts need to be loosened. But you can get it even and put where you want it. Having 2 people makes the job much easier to keep things aligned while you are tightening things back up.
but it doesnt seem like it can be pushed back any more than it already is on the PS side...

The ARB bar kind of floats on the frame mounted cradle. There are 6 bolts that hold it to the cradle and they have a wide range of motion. Once the bar is in place in relation to the body, the bar is pinned in place by drilling through the metal tabs that are located below the rubber bumperette things. This keeps it from shifting around.

If your bar has been pinned in place you'll have to undo those bolts, loosen the 6 mounting bolts, shift the bar around, and then figure out a way to repin the bar. There's not enough space on those tabs really to redrill, so you may have to fill weld the current holes and then redrill.

Gary's right, it's easiest to align with 2 peeps. But, I did it myself by just barely loosening the mounting bolts and then smacking the bar around with a rubber mallet.

Be aware that if you close that gap too much. You will get some bumper to green paint action. That gap looks a little big, but don't get it too close. How about a pic on the other side for camparison sake? My gap is about that big in the front but the wings are bent up so there is about 1/4" gap at the end. It makes contact with the body regularly. A 3/4-1" gap is about ideal. IMO.

Be aware that if you close that gap too much. You will get some bumper to green paint action. That gap looks a little big, but don't get it too close. How about a pic on the other side for camparison sake? My gap is about that big in the front but the wings are bent up so there is about 1/4" gap at the end. It makes contact with the body regularly. A 3/4-1" gap is about ideal. IMO.
on the other side i can put the first part of my finger between the two, the PS side is almost half inch wider.

the bumper on the PS side definitely needs to slide back further. This is going to annoy me until i get it fixed.....and the wife is out driving it and i cant friggen get it fixed..

i am not having any luck with closing the gap at all......i just dont see how i can close it anymore, everything seems to be tight. Ive taken out the bolts on the PS side and completely loosened everything else.

what am i missing??

so get this s***.....

I end up taking out pretty much all the bolts that attach the ARB to the frame and notice on the PS that they are different than the ones on the DS. They look to be the old bolts that attach the impact bar to the frame (i am guessing). So i take them out and notice that while taking them out i get resistance every 3/4 turn. I finally get them out and they are friggen BENT. The mother F'ers put bent bolts back in my LC, seriously WTF??

I still cant bring the PS up anymore to close the gap and it is pissing me off.... So tomorrow i am taking my rig back to the place that put it on and ask them if it is a practice to put bent bolts back in a car???

Sounds like incredibly shoddy work.

FYI, the installation instructions for my ARB call for a 15mm (0.6") gap at the wings. It is a tight fit to slide my index finger across the gap, and I have never had any fender to bumper contact.

so get this ****.....

I end up taking out pretty much all the bolts that attach the ARB to the frame and notice on the PS that they are different than the ones on the DS. They look to be the old bolts that attach the impact bar to the frame (i am guessing). So i take them out and notice that while taking them out i get resistance every 3/4 turn. I finally get them out and they are friggen BENT. The mother F'ers put bent bolts back in my LC, seriously WTF??

I still cant bring the PS up anymore to close the gap and it is pissing me off.... So tomorrow i am taking my rig back to the place that put it on and ask them if it is a practice to put bent bolts back in a car???

Maybe your truck has been in an accident and it will never get any closer (that could explain the bent bolts as well.)...I seem to remember someone on here putting some type of rubber spacer in to fill the gaps...

When I installed my bar it was possible to get one side to hang slightly lower. I just worked a side at a time. Tightened up the DS when it was in place and then the PS.

Plus, I don't know that any of the bolts I removed from the crossmember would have worked installing the ARB, seems like the ARB bolts were all a lot bigger. Hope they didn't strip the captive nuts on the bar.

Maybe your truck has been in an accident and it will never get any closer (that could explain the bent bolts as well.)...I seem to remember someone on here putting some type of rubber spacer in to fill the gaps...

the reason i replaced the bumper in the first place was b/c i hit a guard rail. It only did damage to the bumper, nothing else was bent and the impact was more on the DS anyway. Carfax had nothing saying it was in an accident before

Where'd you take it to get it done?

Obviously not OK4WD...

I can see it now...juan here comes that friggin gringo back again......

just replace the bolts yourself....remember your still ahead of the curve on this one...no?

Last edited by a moderator:
Insurance costs money....?

Replacing bolts on your own may be the hassle free way to go... Especially if they screwed you already.

If you havent already, try taking out all 4 (i think) bolts that mount the bumper to the brackets. You should def be able to move it then. Will take more than 1 pair of hands.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom