1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ARB 3/4 roofrack

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by concretejungle, Jan 29, 2004.

1. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

Does anyone have the ARB 3/4 rack? I have one, and must say it is very high quality and tough, i can actually walk around up there. But it hangs about 1/2 way over the sunroof. Now, even going 45 mph it's just so loud. And if the sunroof is open it's deafening.

I was thinking of chopping a 6 inch section out and re-welding it to shorten it just to line up with the back of the sunroof. Any thoughts on this issue?

2. Jomama

Jomama

Media:
    Albums:
    I've a 6-inch style con-fer rack that sits just behind the sunroof opening. Taller than the ARB style. I don't think shortening it will reduce the noise thru the sunroof much tho. Mines loud despite being behind the opening. I was thinking of rigging a wind-dam like is on some thule/yakima racks, but to get the right angle the damn would be out over the sunroof hole.

:cheers:

3. Greddy0

Greddy0

Are aftermarket roofrack noisy? Why would the aftermarket roofracks make noise while the stock doesn't? I still have factory roofrack my LX450 but am looking for something more sturdy. Looking to hold ~200lbs worth of camping gear. Any suggestions on roofracks? Thanks

4. Hltoppr

Hltoppr

Media:
    Albums:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    You're going to get wind noise with any aftermarket rack, from Yakima to con-fer. You can try to make a wind dam out of plexiglass or modify a Yakima/Thule one, which will help. There is no way you'll get it to be as quiet as a factory rack, which is more aerodynamicly pleasing than useful anyway...

-H-

5. Jomama

Jomama

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=Greddy0 link=board=2;threadid=10775;start=msg96807#msg96807 date=1075414696]
    Why would the aftermarket roofracks make noise while the stock doesn't?
    [/quote]

Lots, and lots of drag on the aftermarkets, 10x the surface area of the stock plastic rack, gives you all types of areas to make nice little whistles.

6. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    Like someone said, get a wind fairing like the one from Yakima. I think there's a "van" wind fairing which is much wider than a standard one. With the fairing, you can open the sunroof and not hear a thing!

Ali