1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aqualu Tub / Steel Hardtop

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by jayrodd, Aug 28, 2006.

1. jayrodd

jayrodd

In the process of refinishing doors on my 82 FJ40. It has an Aqualu tub and what I thought was an original hardtop. This photo shows the difference in the door jams. The doors match the tub, but not the hardtop. ???????? not sure how or if I can fix this without a lot of work. Or I'm I missing something here?
    100_1247.jpg

2. jayrodd

jayrodd

Full side view
    100_1252.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  3. projektdotnet

projektdotnet

Not sure about the top. I know for the 70's models that (the top) is what the jambs looked like.

4. numtel

numtel

So the door closes and there must just be a big gap in there? Can you put a thick piece of weather stripping in the crack?

Is it already hard top season again? Summer can't be over yet! :crybaby:

5. corsair23

corsair23 SILVER Star

Just looked at my 12/74 tub and hard top...Mine looks similar to yours except the door jam area of your hard top looks 'pushed in'. My hard top door jam lines up with the tubs door jam with the door striker in the void between the two jams.

Do you have posts on your top that fit down into the tub? Somehow it looks as if your hard top got bent or pushed in. If you have the posts and they fit into the tub then I don't know what you'd do to fix it other than get the best fit you can and then use oversized weather stripping to fill the gap. I can snap some pics of mine if it would help you at all to see the difference...

6. Mark W

Mark W

You just need to push the bottom edge of the hard top out more before you drill the holes and secure it.

Mark...

7. jayrodd

jayrodd

Weather stripping from SOR is rather large. But haven't had time to see if it does fill the gap. This is South Florida, 3" to 5" of rain every afternoon. Tired of getting soaked everyday.

8. jayrodd

jayrodd

It does have post that sit in the tub. Pics would be great. I thought about the top being pushed in, but it's exactly the same on the drivers side. ugh!

9. corsair23

corsair23 SILVER Star

Jayrodd,

I'll try to snap a few pics tonight when I get home. If you want high res pics though you'll need to PM me an email addy. I'm about out of my picture 'allowance' on MUD :frown: so what I post on here will probably be pretty small...Keep and eye out for them (unless someone beats me to it) and if they are too small for you to see the detail you need PM me an email addy and I'll send them out.

10. MJM

MJM SILVER Star

Did you cut the post

I assume you cut the post down so the tub does not push them in. I have that same tube on my 1980 with an OEM Soft-Top and had the same issue. I drilled tapped the inside piller so I could use a bolt to push the tubes out and hold it into place. Make sure the post are not hitting the tub in some way.
    MJM

11. corsair23

corsair23 SILVER Star

;)
    Jayrodd,

Here you go...I think the pics will speak for themselves re: the difference in alignment between my tub/top and yours. Good luck and post back on how you fix it or what is causing your top to pitch in like it is...

I may need to delete these pics down the road so save them if you need them for reference

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  12. Mark W

Mark W

That just means that you need to push both sides out some. I've done a few of these tubs. It doesn't fit together like a laser cut jigsaw puzzle. There's always a little tweaking and fitting.

Mark...

13. BTC95

BTC95

I am having this exact same issue with fitting my hardtop with my Aqualu tub. The posts or rods from the hardtop push the hard top in on both sides which creates a gap and does not allow the doors to seal.

Any suggestions on how to address this?

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">