Aqualu tub. Best etch or epoxy primer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aqualu tub on its way for 1978 fj40 project

since it is a nice aluminum
anyone have good recommendations for primer etch or epoxy to stick to this?

thanks
Eaj71

Well this is from PPG in regards to "self-etch" primer. No longer recommended to use an etch primer under an epoxy primer Based on this post, I would infer that DP series epoxy primer would be your best bet after giving the tube a proper sanding and wash down. I would not skimp, at all, with this step. Personally, I would consider this to be the most import layer of the entire paint job and therefore would dictate the high quality of material used.

Indeed
Well this is from PPG in regards to "self-etch" primer. No longer recommended to use an etch primer under an epoxy primer Based on this post, I would infer that DP series epoxy primer would be your best bet after giving the tube a proper sanding and wash down. I would not skimp, at all, with this step. Personally, I would consider this to be the most import layer of the entire paint job and therefore would dictate the high quality of material used.
indeed you are correct
So guidance is necessary

I just primed a used aqualu tub that I bought. After sanding the tub, based on the paint shop recommendation I applied a self-etching primer to the bare, scuffed aluminum. I was told, and the label confirmed, that the top coat can go right over this primer. I hope I received good advice because that is what I did.

Same material as an aircraft, might as well follow those procedures since it stands the test of time. Use alumiprep (Or go to your local auto store and buy ‘aluminum brightener’) and a maroon 3m scuff pad. Rinse well with water. Apply alodine (the gold is easier to see which areas you’ve done) rinse very well with water. Wax and grease, then epoxy prime. From there shoot it with Paint as normal. A quart of alodine is plenty to do a complete tub. Can be purchased online or from aircraft spruce.

The airplane types have been dealing with aluminum and dissimilar metals forever, follow their path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom