April Trail Ride - Texas Creek, Saturday, April 20th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SAS

Seeking higher vistas
Threads
Who: CLC members and friends
What: trail ride
When: Saturday, April 20th
Where: Texas Creek (between Canon City and Salida)

The Springs group will meet at Safeway (South Nevada Avenue) between 8am and 8:30am. We'll drive south on 115 to Penrose, then Highway 50 through Canon City and on to Texas Creek. Pueblo/Pueblo West crew can meet us in either Penrose (gas station) or Canon City (Wal-Mart).

Dang it. I’m going to miss this again. In Moab at EJS this weekend. Never been to Texas Creek.

hey idk if i will make it this round.. but i know people had talked about camping, i just wanted to let anyone know.. if you are interested in seeing the royal gorge and like easter service too... they have a sunrise service at the royal gorge bridge on sunday morning... and its free... so u get to see the bridge and park for free... just a little tip if you guys are still making easter plans...

I may be running a little close to 8:30 departure time. Helping my brother with his rig and lost track of time tonight. Im going to pack my stuff in the car and make lunch for the trip and getting up at 6 would kill me.

We had a great time at Texas Creek! Five rigs--me in the 60, Jeff and Bill in their 40's, Josh in his Tacoma, and Dan in the LR4.

We got to the Texas Creek parking/staging area at about 10am. We drove up the wash (Fremont County 27) and then took 6040 to the left. Surprisingly, light traffic--only saw a few bikes and UTVs, and one *eep. The scenery was fantastic, as expected! Road conditions were dry, with only a few spots of water. We saw a few spots (north-facing slopes) where there was still snow in the shade of trees.

Took a lunch break after a couple of hours, just before climbing Table Mountain. Then we dropped down and drove east to 6040B where Bill's 40 starting to make some noise; Jeff gave it a diagnosis, so at that point Bill and Dan decided to limp it home or to a shop in Canon City.

Josh, Jeff, and I continued down 6040 to its end (at a gate where it intersects a "restricted" trail for 50" width or less). We made our way back out to 6040C (more pinstripes!) and parted ways there--Jeff and Josh headed home and I drove 6040C to build a trail guide (trailsoffroad) and then, before it got dark, ran over to 6040A.

@Pops @Grimeless and Vic will remember 6040A--it is where we all (except Sam) got stuck in that deep hole 3-4 years ago!!!
It is dry now, but it's still deep!!!

I camped on 6040A, then came out this morning.
Here are some pictures--I'll try to load a video soon.

000_0077.JPG

000_0079.JPG

000_0086.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like it was an awesome meet, where did guys take off from in Colorado Springs? I must’ve went to the wrong Safeway. I ended up heading out with some jeeps that we’re meeting at the safeway i went too. We ended up running independance trail which was pretty aggressive and not what I was planning to run. Maybe next time!

0D09F60D-197E-4122-A288-99E7DE9DDA83.jpeg

Reactions: SAS
where did guys take off from in Colorado Springs?

The one at Cheyenne Road (not Cheyenne Boulevard) and South Nevada; the address is 1920 South Nevada Ave.

Come join us in May for Medano Pass (assuming it will be open) on the 18th.

Looks like a very successful club trip. Great pics. Thanks for posting up. Wish I could've come along.

Hey, Harry, you might be the story of the day--by accident! You got introduced to arguably one of the most challenging trails in all of CO. Most of us with "normally" modified rigs go over to the Independence/Patriot network to simply gawk at the highly modified rigs with huge tires, super twisty suspensions, and full roll-cages doing their thing over the monster rocks and tall ledges. Your rig does look very capable. Did you try Independence? Hope you walked it first. Hats off to you for infiltrating the jeep group out of necessity!
:)

Last edited:
Looks like a very successful club trip. Great pics. Thanks for posting up. Wish I could've come along.

Hey, Harry, you might be the story of the day--by accident! You got introduced to arguably one of the most challenging trails in all of CO. Most of us with "normally" modified rigs go over to the Independence/Patriot network to simply gawk at the highly modified rigs with huge tires, super twisty suspensions, and full roll-cages doing their thing over the monster rocks and tall ledges. Your rig does look very capable. Did you try Independence? Hope you walked it first. Hats off to you for infiltrating the jeep group out of necessity!
:)

We actually did Liberty to independence and back (I get mixed up with the names), no one was brave enough to exit through independence. I started second guessing as soon as we dropped in but we were able to make it through. One jeep broke a u-joint and twisted the splines on his chromoly axle shaft so we had to work to get him out. All in all it was fun and the 80 made it out alive. I think that trail is a one and done haha

pGnOgelVRn26m5DX9L1Phg.jpg

TI0rfU0FRWKr2JXcWOe3Og.jpg

fullsizeoutput_9e4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom