April ROTM - Montana Mountain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Now I know what Prince meant when he sang "when doves cry". Get well soon

Now I know what Prince meant when he sang "when doves cry". Get well soon

In like a lamb and out like a lion with that blistering guitar solo at the end

If I started an hour late from the shell, how hard would it be to catch up to the group? Anyone who has done this run before?

Depends how many times the group stops, how fast they are going, how fast you will go/stop etc. It's a fairly long trail so I would think a single rig could catch up with a larger group. Would be sad to rush though. Just drive and enjoy and if you catch up great and if not oh well. Again, I believe you would but many factors would determine exactly where.

If I started an hour late from the shell, how hard would it be to catch up to the group? Anyone who has done this run before?

Done it tons of times ......
If we are starting from the Queens Valley end (I hope so) the first 10 miles can be very fast if solo.

Done it tons of times ......
If we are starting from the Queens Valley end (I hope so) the first 10 miles can be very fast if solo.

Phil, if you think that's the best place to start, I'm good with that. I've never been on this run, and only know what I've read on the trail descriptions online.

Did you say at the meeting that the best place to camp was at an old cabin? I saw a waypoint for an old Miner's cabin on Google maps, but there wasn't a road listed. Oak Spring was nearby. I need to check my other maps. Is that the spot you were talking about?

Phil, if you think that's the best place to start, I'm good with that. I've never been on this run, and only know what I've read on the trail descriptions online.

Did you say at the meeting that the best place to camp was at an old cabin? I saw a waypoint for an old Miner's cabin on Google maps, but there wasn't a road listed. Oak Spring was nearby. I need to check my other maps. Is that the spot you were talking about?

The camp spot I was talking about is a barn and corral a couple miles closer to 60 past the cabin. The cabin is a stop by camping or not.

Starting from Queens Valley dumps out at Boyces. The total mileage of the run is ~28 miles. In the past I have seen it done in a stock Lexus LX470.

Where do we pick Steve aka *FF at?

*Fire Fairy

Well looks like we are going to have to back out of this run, will be looking forward to meeting everyone on the Mt. Ord run in May though...

Freeway closures.

Northbound 101 lanes will then be blocked off from McDowell to Chaparral from 9 a.m. Saturday to 5 a.m. Monday. Alternate routes include westbound I-10 or westbound 202 to northbound SR 51 or I-17 to reach north Valley destinations.

Loop 202: Northbound Loop 202 is closed between Elliot and University from 9 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday. Both US 60 ramps to northbound 202 are also off limits during that time. Ellsworth or Sossaman could be your plan B to get around the closure.

We will be on time after all. I decided to for go the rush of drIving from CG to tempe, run Pats run, drive back to CG, change clothes, change cars, drive to meet the group. Instead ill have coffee, and we will leisurely drive to the Shell station. See you guys soon

:)

Awesome day. I am glad Annette got to come with and meet the crew. Good luck with camping. The thrill on the hill looked fun. We just ran out of time.

- Chris

Thanks Otter for putting together a great run. Thanks LCP for leading the way, and thanks Brice for shuttin the gates. It was great getting out on the trail again after being sidelined for what seemed like forever. It was nice seeing some familiar faces and meeting some new ones.Sorry we had to bug out early. Looking forward to the next overnighter. Thanks Chris for taking point on our Montana Mtn. bug out. Alvis, thanks for the test drive, we're going to order up some ham of our own.

Sorry I couldn't be there with the group. My morning got blown up. I still ended up going way later in the day with my 9 yr. old. I've yet to go with the crew. Shooting for Mt. Ord run in May. I really do exist, not an forum figment of imagination.

Curious how cold it got last night. Temperature was lower last night then previous couple of nights up on the rim. Twenty-seven degrees last night.

Curious how cold it got last night. Temperature was lower last night then previous couple of nights up on the rim. Twenty-seven degrees last night.

We never found a large enough spot for all of our vehicles and tents on the mountain. We ended up camping just west of Superior off the 60. According to Google, it was about 52 degrees at 5:40am this morning when I checked. I'm sure it was much cooler where we originally talked about camping.

@Otter @LandCruiserPhil Thank you for another great run, and camping.

@Saddletramp Thank you for exploring with us. I want to take that rack and see where it leads. I checked my maps, and I think you are correct in that it eventually leads to Top of the World.

Tina, Oscar and I had a great time with everyone. Nice to see some new faces, and get to run with some familiar faces. Camping was great. @Rooty245 Thank you for dinner.

@jclarke450 & @Cruzrmama Your kids are adorable.

@Otter is was nice to meet your dad. I hope he had a good time.

@floggerdogger It was nice to meet you. Hope to see you on many more runs in the future.

@LongDuck @Cruddz Thomas and Alvis, it was nice to see you guys.

@1Louder Chris, it was nice to meet Annette. Tina hopes to see her on more runs.

@GOLDY Nice to see you again. It had been almost a year!

@Chrismanjs Nice to meet you. Sorry you did not make it camping with us. We had a great time.

Here is a link to the photos we took. I don't need to bore everyone by posting them here, but this way, if someone is interested, they can clock through.

CSC April 2016 ROTM on Flickr.

Fun time had by all. The final camping sight will be revisited as we very much enjoyed the shade and wind break but warmer weather will make this site a fall destination.

It was great meeting Ray, Richards dad, he fit right in with the group and was a good sport to put up with our usual mis adventures of finding the right trail.

New friends and old we all had some laughs and got out to see ir great state, thank you to our female companions for allowing some of our sophomoric humor. Dogs, kids and perfect evening weather made for another memorable family outing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom