Events/Trails April ROTM Kofa National Wildlife Refuge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Dates weekend of April 6- 7, 2019
Route - 2 hours of highway from Scottsdale to trailhead
Over 100 miles of dirt routed. Lots to see and explore. Hoping wild flowers and cactus bloom is still strong.
Not stocker friendly but close. No armor needed just some clearance. Full disclosure - I have only been on ~20% of the purposed dirt track.
I plan to overnight both Friday and Saturday so anyone attending can head to the dirt starting point (2 hours away)anytime from Friday to Saturday morning departure at 9:30am sharp.
New moon weekend so it will be dark with bright stars
Design temps - Historical average 83°-54°
What to expect

Lots of optional stuff to play on along the way.

DARN! Another one I wanted to hit. I have family coming out that weekend, taking them up to Sedona and Broken Arrow, Soldiers Pass and Schnebly Hill before heading to Flag for dinner. Still would have preferred to hit the Kofa, been wanting to take time off to explore out there for some time now. Looking forward to the trip report though!

Camping in the Kofas Is a great experience. The Big Horn Sheep are really cool and wild burros in abundance. Lot of mines and prospects. Further south The Old Dad Mountains have a lot to offer too. My advice, don't sit on the fence for this one. Have fun.

@aztlctina and I plan on going. Will most like have our 14 year old with us so we will be bringing the trailer as well.

@LandCruiserPhil Is it trailer friendly, the 20% you have driven?

@LandCruiserPhil I'm planning on camping on Friday and Saturday, what time and where do you plan on heading out on Friday? Also, do you think my truck will be alright? The front is lifted, but the rear is sagging a bit due to the weight of the stuff that I have on the back which put my rear ground clearance similar to stock. Thanks.

I'll be here. I'm in Yuma and in the Kofa's everyday for work. Depending on the trail I may have already been on it. I know of a cabin people can overnight in out by one of the mines. @LandCruiserPhil what trail do you guys intend going out on?

I'll be here. I'm in Yuma and in the Kofa's everyday for work. Depending on the trail I may have already been on it. I know of a cabin people can overnight in out by one of the mines. @LandCruiserPhil what trail do you guys intend going out on?
See attached PDF
Starting and ending at the Kofa Cabin
Running all the red track and blue that links them together.
Can you get to hwy 95 via the Palm Canyon road shown in orange?

Attachments

• Web Map - Kofa _ Gaia GPS.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 279
See attached PDF
Starting and ending at the Kofa Cabin
Running all the red track and blue that links them together.
Can you get to hwy 95 via the Palm Canyon road shown in orange?

I'm having a hard time making sense of that map without any road names. It looks to me like the top orange at the top of the map is Palm Canyon and the upper red route is King Valley road which has a turn off that kind of heads south past castle dome and comes out around the castle dome mine museum. Does that sound like the route you want to take?

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time making sense of that map without any road names. It looks to me like the top right orange at the top of the map is Palm Canyon and the upper red route is King Valley road which has a turn off that kind of heads south past castle dome and comes out around the castle dome mine museum. Does that sound like the route you want to take?

Sounds right without the map being in front of me. The icon left of the orange track is Palm Canyon road turn off on 95. My question is does the orange track go to through to 95. Where the orange track intersect with the blue track there is a sign "road closed 3 miles ahead". The road looks fun (big rocks, narrow, in a canyon/wash) but I did have the time and had no interest in finding a gate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom