April Club Run - Baja! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If we still hope to do a Baja trip in March April, we will need to decide how long of a trip we want. On a five-day trip we might be able to go as far as Gonzaga Bay. On a seven-day trip, we could get all the way down to Bahía de los Ángeles on the Sea of Cortez.

We can do a combination of Ranchero or bunk-house stops, and beach or mountain camps. We can use a guide, at a cost of $300/day (split between the total number of rigs, so assuming 5 rigs, about $60/day each), or plan our own itinerary. It’s really up to us how we want to structure it. A guide can show us the best places to stay and camp. Other expenses will be any hotel (Rancheros) we decide to stay in. Most are between $60-$75 a night including dinner and breakfast. Any camping will be free, unless we go to a campground.

Everyone will need an up to date passport, Mexican car insurance, tourist permit, etc…, but these are all easy to arrange. IF YOU'RE CONSIDERING THIS TRIP, PLEASE CONTACT ME THROUGH THIS THREAD, OR EMAIL ME DIRECTLY. Time is going by fast, and I'd really like to see this happen!

Last edited:
Have been dying to get on a club run and go to Baja. I’m interested depending on how long of a trip we decide on.

What are the proposed dates again?

One more question, the routes that we are planning on, Land Cruiser or smaller or would a full size truck be able to make the trip? Asking for a friend.

One more question, the routes that we are planning on, Land Cruiser or smaller or would a full size truck be able to make the trip? Asking for a friend.
The routes will be fine for any size stock vehicles. Nothing crazy! Dates to be discussed at the next Club Meeting. Anytime between March and April.

I would like to join this event. I could go anytime between the March dates of 14-21. I would not be able to participate again until April 19th.

I would support a guide for our trip. If we stop at 'Ranchero's" I will not bring my trailer. If we remote camp, I will bring my trailer.

I have from the 3/26-4/3 available in case I miss the meeting, sorry Dave.

I'm on the fence and somewhat reluctant for saftey reasons despite all saying that once you're an hour or so south of the boarder that it's safe.

Passport and passport card are current.

I’m flexible on dates for the most part. I’d be in for a long weekend deal, 3-4 days or so.

Have been dying to get on a club run and go to Baja. I’m interested depending on how long of a trip we decide on.

How many days are most willing to do on a Baja trip? Long weekend? 5 days? 7 Days? No wrong answers! That will help in planning.

What are the proposed dates again?
How long, and when are really two of the biggest questions... I've been researching this for a while, and from what I've learned, 4 days is just about the minimum to make an enjoyable trip, with a little time to enjoy & explore. It also seems that adding a 5th day would really enhance a 4-day trip, if you're able to do so. What I've been imagining is a Thursday (or Friday) through Monday trip (4 or 5 days). I'm thinking of those days to avoid border crossings on weekend days. It goes without saying, however, that the schedule and chosen days need to work for the majority of the folks interested in doing this trip. Does missing 1 or 2 days from different weeks make it easier for most, than taking off 2 or 3 consecutive days from the same week?

Depending on group size, a few might opt for a 4-5 day trip, while a few more might opt to make it longer (7-10 days?).

I think that to nail down "when" we need to know who is seriously considering this trip, and when they are available. I am not available from 3/29-4/6 (sorry, Brian! 😕), as (ironically!) I'll be in Puerto Vallarta for a destination wedding for the daughter of my oldest friend (best friends since 7th grade!). I am available before that in March & after that in April.

Another thing to consider is the possible health risk. Yesterday (1/31/22), the State Department updated their Mexico Travel Advisory for Baja to "Level 4 - Do Not Travel", because of the prevalence of Covid-19. However, they also state, "risk of contracting COVID-19 and developing severe symptoms may be lower if you are fully vaccinated". There is also a risk of violent crime, but that seems to be higher in city areas than rural areas. And, I think we can mitigate much of that risk by traveling in groups, rather than as solo travelers. I don't bring this up with the intention of scaring anyone away, but I do think that it's best to make decisions based on the most complete knowledge possible. That said, the Level 4 alert would not dissuade me.

Please let me know what you're thinking. If the majority is not comfortable with this timing, and thinks that we should wait to see if conditions are better in the fall, or even spring of 2023, then I need to know that.

Last edited:
Passport I have, ID card I do not.
I need to convince my boss (normally spelled "wife") and she wants details...just because.
I will be at the meet on Sunday--I will be the guy with the Landcruiser sitting in a chair.
Have a great rest of the week.

Thinking because this concept has weekday components, there might be better commitment numbers if prelim dates are set by by small group of committed members. Then dates can be adjusted (+/- 2 days or so) based on others jumping in.

weeday planning is an order of magnitude more difficult on consensus decisions.

Btw: very interested in South Africa idea...could be Australia as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom