Apple CarPlay / Android Auto in 2006 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2006 Landcruiser w/ Nav owner here.

I was in Hawaii a couple of weeks back and rented a Hyundai with CarPlay, got enamored and started looking into all the different ways to bring this tech to my LC.

My requirements were:

- be economical
- have all of the factory controls (dashboard / steering / nav) continue to function
- support wireless carplay
- high resolution / responsive touchscreen
- have something which can be removed and stowed away so as to not be a thieve magnet

After looking at custom rolled Raspberry Pi solutions, Android tablet + dongle type solutions, and single / double DIN CarPlay solutions I settled on the following unit:

Amazon product ASIN B08R5Q28SK
It comes in 2 versions - a wired version and a wireless version. The wired version has a TFT, low resolution display and the wireless version has a sweet IPS, high resolution display and also comes with a backup camera (which is still in the box).

Screen is great, viewing angle is great, color fidelity is excellent. Responsive (although could be faster maybe). And supports wireless CarPlay and Android auto. Doesn't require a ton of software setup. Just kinda works. You get into the car, turn it on and head unit auto detects your phone and then displays a CarPlay front end on the screen.

Couple of things that are not great. No battery pack - when car is off, unit is off. Powered by a 12v car adaptor. The mount that came with it is decent but I have a sweet Ram mount that works even better.

Which brings me to what I think is the biggest issue with the unit. There are 2 ways to pipe audio out of the unit. FM transmitter (sound quality is not really acceptable) and AUX out. No bluetooth transmitter built into the unit!

I have a BT45-TOY installed in my car which works well for bluetooth audio, phone etc. and I was hoping that the unit could just output to that and I'd be all set. Nope. Doesn't work. In wired mode (iPhone plugged into the USB port on device it does work because it's using the bluetooth transmitter on the phone). But wireless, no dice. Thankfully the BT45-TOY has an AUX port which works beautifully with this unit.

Here are some photos of my setup:

IMG_5590.jpeg
IMG_5586.jpeg
IMG_5585.jpeg

I'm having a head unit installed tomorrow in my 06 LC. I'll let you know how it turns out. I want them to move the current nav screen to where the current radio is and install the head unit where the nav screen was. I am also putting in a new backup camera but mounting it higher up to accommodate a future rear bumper/tire carrier install. The stereo place said the head unit will do most everything but suggested keeping the original nav screen for the AC controls etc.

Have you checked out the GROM VLine2?

Its not the most econmical...I paid around $400. But I got tried of my tablet and BT45 setup. The GROM is works great and looks factory.

Did you have "retain good visibility" and "deter theft" on your list? ;)

As @Michael K Leung suggested, the GROM VLine2 is a pretty sweet setup - uses factory headunit, retains all factory controls, streams everything - full CarPlay app control - wirelessly from your phone, no external cables, wires, etc.

IMG_7318.jpeg

Have you checked out the GROM VLine2?

Its not the most econmical...I paid around $400. But I got tried of my tablet and BT45 setup. The GROM is works great and looks factory.
Is there any difference in sound quality? Better, Worse, Same? Wanting Apple Car Play and looking for solutions. thanks

I'd be interested in your BT45TOY if you ever decide to get rid of it.

I forgot to update the stereo that I installed.

I went with the Stinger Elev8. ELEV8 - UN1880 - https://stingerelectronics.com/products/elev8 I was hoping that they would be able to do a NAV delete but because of the much talked about AC controls being on the NAV screen they had to retain the Nav screen and keep it in the current location. I can't remember why they told me they were not able to move it but at the time it sounded reasonable. (Over the phone they had told me that they thought that they were going to be able to move it to where the radio/cassette was)

They put the Stinger ELEV8 where the old stereo was however, they were not able to do a flush mount and used some sort of mount that sticks out some. Aesthetically I moved past that pretty quickly. The only knock I have with this setup is when the sun is right, there is a glare and I have to lean over to the right to see the screen. It is not horrible as far as functionality but is the one thing I wish could be mitigated.
All of the steering wheel components work with the stereo perfectly. I love the Apple car play but on the model that I chose, I have to use the USB.

The sound is amazing! I blew out my right side factory speaker with the extra power and replaced both front speakers with Polk Audio DB 652 marine speakers. Changing them out was pretty easy and the new speakers sound fantastic.

IMG_2320.JPG
IMG_2318.JPG
IMG_2319.JPG

Did you have "retain good visibility" and "deter theft" on your list? ;)

As @Michael K Leung suggested, the GROM VLine2 is a pretty sweet setup - uses factory headunit, retains all factory controls, streams everything - full CarPlay app control - wirelessly from your phone, no external cables, wires, etc.

View attachment 2679148
yea know, I just got a Crux Blootooth interface for now that plugs into where the CD Changer does in the back of the Factory unit. I can do everything I need from my phone, stream my music etc. This GROM solution looks good and if I keep my truck sometime down the line i'll likely go this rout but for now a $70 Blue tooth interface is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom