Apple Car Play (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to let everyone know that I had Apple CarPlay installed today with a back-up camera. The shop Pro Guard Audio installed it in less than 6 hours. The total cost was about $1500.00. It works perfectly and I still have all of the screen functions as before the install. The unit is a VLine.

apple CP2.jpg

apple CP1.jpg

I wanted to let everyone know that I had Apple CarPlay installed today with a back-up camera. The shop Pro Guard Audio installed it in less than 6 hours. The total cost was about $1500.00. It works perfectly and I still have all of the screen functions as before the install. The unit is a VLine.

View attachment 2947977

View attachment 2947978
Nice! so they installed a new aftermarket backup camera rather than retaining the factory one?

Nice! so they installed a new aftermarket backup camera rather than retaining the factory one?
If you already have a factory camera, I am sure they could use that one. In fact, I never looked to where my camera is located. I just know it works great.

Does the touch screen work when using Waze and other maps and apps like Spotify or is it just a display only and all CarPlay control is done on the phone?

View attachment 2947977

View attachment 2947978

I have enjoyed my VLIne boxes since they were prereleased for the 100 series and I played unofficial beta tester, and I hope you enjoy your VLine as much as I have.

I see that Grom has raised their prices since I last purchased:

But unless there were a lot of additional accessories installed, I’m still trying to figure out how the installed price gets to $1500 or even approaches 6 hours?

From what I remember, it’s:
Pull the center stack
Insert Y cable
Run Y cable to glovebox
Run GPS to glovebox
Run Mic to glovebox
Insert VLine in glovebox
Test
Reinstall center stack

Does the touch screen work when using Waze and other maps and apps like Spotify or is it just a display only and all CarPlay control is done on the phone?

CarPlay (and I assume Android Auto) and the associated apps, can be controlled by OE touch screen, the phone, or OE steering wheel controls, using the Grom VLine.

It took me about 90 minutes to install my Vline1. I too was an early adopter back in 2016. I think I paid about $350 on the preorder. It also has car play but you have to be tethered to it for it to work.

The $800 bill for install is not cool.

I haven't added any of that, but it is the same touch screen as before. You can use carplay on either device.

It took me about 90 minutes to install my Vline1. I too was an early adopter back in 2016. I think I paid about $350 on the preorder. It also has car play but you have to be tethered to it for it to work.

The $800 bill for install is not cool.
Agreed, but I am not one who could even come close to the install

CarPlay (and I assume Android Auto) and the associated apps, can be controlled by OE touch screen, the phone, or OE steering wheel controls, using the Grom VLine.
Yes, that is true, steering wheel controls all work

Im sure its been out longer for the 100 but I had the Vline on my GX460.....not sure I could bring my self to purchase one for the 100 due to my GX experience.

I installed everything and screen completely black but had audio - They sent me a new harness and I had to tear everything all back apart to install a new harness when it came in.

Once installed we could never get my wifes Iphone to stay connected for more than 2-3 minutes (the GX was hers). My phone worked fine. Never able to resolve this issue and her phone had no issues in our other 3 cars.

Also discovered once in the car for 30 minutes or so the volume would go to level 22. You could turn it up or down but immediately back to level 22. You had to pull over, shut the truck off and re start it to get your desired volume level again. This was obviously a known issue that they were not informing customers of prior to purchase.
I recieved this reply from Grom:

"We have a new harness that fixes it, however it seems to only work for an hour."
"The harness we sent over has a variable resistor on it that looks like a volume knob. This comes out by the VLine, so you can have it in the glove box or wherever the VLine is installed. It has 4 marks on it. Turn it counter clockwise until it stops, this is at 0 on the dial and you'll see a white mark below that attached to the base. Then turn it clockwise until you hit 3.4 / 2nd mark, this is the resistance the old harness was at. If you have issues with it at that resistance then turn it counter clockwise until you hit 4.8 / the 3rd mark. Continue until 6.1 / the 4th mark if you still have issues on the 3rd mark."

After this I was just done. Tore it all out.

I hope you have a great experience with it with no issues as I really wanted it to work for me. Just be aware that some issues can crop up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom