Appalachian Rigs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If you are close to the region (i.e. read this club forum), please post up your rig and specs, pics, etc.

Let's see your rigs:grinpimp:

I can start with my two:

1973' FJ-55, SOA, TBI 350, SM465 early T-case, custom shafts, 4WDB, 8274, homebrew bumpers, lockers F/R, rear 1/4's chopped, spacers, 15 X 10 aluminiums, 36 SS SX, rattlecan paint, dents, nicks, body damage, but fun as my to the trail/on the trail beater.

Yo00024.sized.jpg

1987 FJ-60 (Doug's 60) recent Jim C. 2F, 5-speed H55F, split case, 4.56 gears, 33 MTR's, safarigard front bumper, warn 9000i, rocksolid offroad rear bumper/tire carrier, full roof rack, limitless slip in the rear, painless harness, XM radio, CB, etc. daily driver/expedition vehicle.

DW6000001.sized.jpg

Just wanted to add a pic for the time being since birfield is down temporarily along with my other pics:

J500004.jpg

Last edited:
1977-40 series.
pretty able offroad, but it's my daily driver.

1987-60 series
pretty much been holding the garage down down since i found it a few years ago.

a few of my parts/project trucks
two and half 75/40's(only one shown)
1969 40
1970 40
2006.JPG
6007.JPG
1970.JPG

the body is pretty straight.
it has/had rust around the rear wells....that somebody did the bondo thing on. it does'nt look bad now, but time will tell.
other than that, my sheetmetal is fairly clean. it's the frame that is soft.....erra was soft.
i just hacked the rear bumper and crossmember off, that was about the last of the bad rust anyway. it will be replaced with a pc of 1/4"PL, much like that of a 40 series rear crossmember. once that's on i can try and get it inspected and through emissions...it has never been on the road since we got smog checks here....all's good...except for a missing air pump.

there for a while it would drip rust. any time you banged on it......for any reason...at any spot, it would rain rust dust on the floor.

it was on the road briefly, 4 years ago.

and one from the hot august evening it followed me home.

both are now wearing 33x9.50's on oem wheels.
fj60three.JPG
frame60rear.JPG
77.87.JPG

this is the repair made to my cross member on the 60 and the bumper...

attachment.php

I have a set of 33 X 9.50's BFG AT that I was thinking of using on the 60 but with 4" of lift and 4.56's.. I am not sure they are the best option.. they look good on your 60 and 40 though!

So do they do a sniffer test for emission? in my area of PA, it is all visual...

nice rigs:beer:

i don't think they sniff. the new stuff gets pluged in. the older(75-95) stuff just gets the visual "to ensure everything appears to be in working order".
on the 60 everything appears to be there......except the air pump. not sure how that is going to go over.

Gary S.'s 78' FJ-55

This is Gary S.'s FJ-55 seen at most trailrides in the appalachian PA area. He lives in coal country and has a myriad of parts from many cruisers and mini's.

78' FJ-55, PS, Original 2F, bucket seats, non-USA 4-speed tranny, FJ-62 fine-spline axles, outboarded SOA, locker in the rear, sweet paint job:

garys_55.sized.jpg

Cruisers in eastern PA

Yeah, that's my orange and white FJ55, thanks for posting the photo, Jeff. Truck is basically stock, except fo the mods Jeff mentioned. Has a three speed transfer case and FJ62 power steering box, and a mini truck PS pump. Rear bumper from Ironpig.com, front bumper a modified FJ60 Ironpig bumper. I love this truck, it's my keeper. Nothing else is, so far anyway.

Lotsa Toyotas at my place. Have a nice stock great running 88 FJ62, a great running 85 FJ60 getting some wheelwell rust repaired, an 85 FJ60 with 4" OME lift, headers, Downey fuel injection and an ARB front bumper, runs 33' nud terrains. There's also a parts 60 (84) and a decent 87 FJ60 that is either gonna get a new front fender and rad support or be parted. Also have a 89 Toy truck and a 95 4Runner. Never a problem cranking something up for a trail ride............

Speaking of which I can =ride right off my property into the mountains and drive all day without crossing a paved road. It's the nuts, and lots of guys have enjoyed the mountains around my place. Stop by for a demonstration. Gary S

O.K. Second attempt. This is a mud hole in Vermont on a class 4 road and the ice I broke through.
vt1crop.JPG
ice.JPG

this morning the 60 fired for the first time in awhile, and then moved for the first time in an even longer time.
took it for quick spin around the farm. i can't wait to get it back on the road.:bounce2: :bounce2:
she's just about ready to resume cruising.
fj60four.JPG
fj60five.JPG

The latest edition was trailer in yesterday...Pigwald

Good to see your getting your 60 going again Brian :beer:
pigparentssmall2.JPG
pigparentssmall3.JPG
pighomesmall.JPG

The latest edition was trailer in yesterday...Pigwald

Good to see your getting your 60 going again Brian :beer:

sweet cage you have there in the 40:flipoff2:

where's your 62???

My eldest daughter is driving the 62 now. So far, the only damage has been the front bumper. Gary S above is supposed to have a decent 60 bumper coming in that will have to do for a while.

It's been awhile since anyone posted to this thread, so as a noob here, I thought I'd wake it up.

Here's mine. It's not a Classic like the rigs above. Well, "not yet" anyway.

2007 FJ Cruiser
03102007.jpg

3" All-Pro Suspension lift with adjustable remote reservoirs - I just installed this yesterday.
Trail-Gear sliders.
285 (33")x70x17 Hankook Dynapro MT's.

Hope to see you all at the next meeting (ABC's) or at the next run at Rausch Creek.

Last edited:
It's been awhile since anyone posted to this thread, so as a noob here, I thought I'd wake it up.

Here's mine. It's not a Classic like the rigs above. Well, "not yet" anyway.

2007 FJ Cruiser
03102007.jpg

3" All-Pro Suspension lift with adjustable remote reservoirs - I just installed this yesterday.
Trail-Gear sliders.
285 (33")x70x17 Hankook Dynapro MT's.

Hope to see you all at the next meeting (ABC's) or at the next run at Rausch Creek.
I like your ride, It kinda looks familar, hope to see it at ABC:cheers:

Guess I'll throw a few of mine up. I used to have a 72 FJ40, but sold that to get my Tacoma back in the summer of 2002 for when I went to Shippensburg University. Here is a picture of one of the outings while there and the truck was totally stock at the time.
mestock.jpg

Then I graduated and finally had money and slowley began building it up to what it is today and here are the pictures of the current setup minus the front bumper I built. This was at Paragon about 2 years ago.
P7300006.jpg

P7300009.jpg

Still have a little bit more to do including finish off the front bumper, redoe some of the rear suspension, change out the front coils to taller ones and finally re-gear to 4.88 and get some 35's for it. Gotta find the money tree for some of that.

Also my dad and I have two other FJ40's, a 70 and a 71. The 70 has a front disk brake conversion and a SBC with a Toyota 4 speed. The 71 is pretty much stock, but will be recieving a 4.3 Chevy with an auto in the very near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom