AO Bed Extensions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.adventureduo.com
Well the guy that took the cruiser for 7 months wanted to be able to sleep in the cruiser if need be. So he bough the African Outback bed extensions for the drawers system that was already in the 80.

I never bought them because we always had the RTT on the trailer, but after playing around with them and checking them out and seeing how much storage you gain, i decided to install them.

One problem arose while installing them. They were too wide to fit in the truck with the doors closed. Apparently Mike in Portland only used one at a time to sleep on so he never hard mounted them. So i had to trim off 1.75" on each side of each bed extension. I guess Christo at Slee said it was a common that some of the trucks would be a bit wider than others and of course mine was the opposite. Strange.

Anyways, after cutting off the excess and re-attaching the carpeting, i drilled the holes and bolted them down. It uses existing bolt holes with recessed anchor nuts in the drawers and a sub frame that bolts into the existing seat bolts.

This will be a great place to store sleeping bags and other stuff under the deck. Dixie can ride up top in her bed while traveling and Yosh can sleep in the truck if i snore too much in the tent :D

Off with the pics.. since you can't find them anywhere on the net. I don't know anyone else with these.

Very similar to the original Jeff Kaufman design extensions to the rear drawer I have, but improved. As is, Jeff's extensions just rested on top of the 2nd row seats to provide a sleeping platform in the truck. This design does allow for a lot of extra storage and semi secure as stuff won't go flying out and around the cabin on bumps, etc.

Since it's always just the two humans, you can leave in permanently. I still have to take out the extension I built for my truck and reinstall the 2nd row seats for family and scouts. At least the 2nd row is easy to remove and reinstall - less than 10 minutes with a ratchet and drill.

thats cool....

Jeff Kaufman from Napa?

Very similar to the original Jeff Kaufman design extensions to the rear drawer I have, but improved. As is, Jeff's extensions just rested on top of the 2nd row seats to provide a sleeping platform in the truck. This design does allow for a lot of extra storage and semi secure as stuff won't go flying out and around the cabin on bumps, etc.

Since it's always just the two humans, you can leave in permanently. I still have to take out the extension I built for my truck and reinstall the 2nd row seats for family and scouts. At least the 2nd row is easy to remove and reinstall - less than 10 minutes with a ratchet and drill.

Yep. He hasn't made them in a few years and IIRC has gotten out of the contractor business all together. He made a sweet product!

Thats funny. I new Jeff before he ever had a LC. I had no idea that he ever sold those.

Small World! Superb product and craftsmanship. I wish I had had the foresight to have gotten the PS with fridge drawer, but that summer I purchased not only his drawer, but my INTI rack and there was hell to pay with the :princess: . :whoops:

Yes - if you look in the 80's FAQ on upgrades there's a thread on drawer systems and links to pic's of the whole system Jeff sold. Drawers or fridge slide in the rear and sleeping extensions over the 2nd row, etc. All made from the prefinished maple plywood. Sweet stuff and his workmanship/attention to detail was fabulous. Real quality work from Jeff.

Any idea where he's at now?

He was working as a construction project maniger in Hawaii for the last two years, but I talked to him a couple of weeks ago and he said he is moving back to CA.

I think he could make some good money on the side building these systems for 80's and design something for the FJ's if he wanted to. IIRC he sold all his tools when he left Napa.

But then he would be competing with me:) Realy there would be no contest:flipoff2:

Just kidding. Hi Jeff.

Last edited:

It looks like the second row seats need to be removed in order to use these extensions?

Not Jeff's with just the sleeping extension. Looks like yes on Dave's AO extensions.

Not Jeff's with just the sleeping extension. Looks like yes on Dave's AO extensions.

Brent, I should have clarified that. It looks like it could work either way with both the AO system and mine. I did produce a support that would allow for the removal of the seats if desired, and will offer this again. The support will included with the extensions.

Cool - welcome back Jeff! Jeez - didn't even notice that response #15 was you.

Still love the hell out of the drawer. Don't know if you've kept up, but my limited skills build a second row extension/storage drawer. Top hinges toward the center. It's not the quality of your craftsmanship, but it works! All I had to use was a cheap skilsaw, jigsaw and drill. I used your sleeper extension as the template for the top. I couldn't bring myself to use your extension for the top. As you can see I'd have had to cut your extension for the storage top. Pics:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/140001-drawer-system-extension.html?highlight=drawer

Since those pics, I've added Slee's fridge slide to properly secure the fridge! Still need to put in some flush mount tie downs. Really need those. Got any good stought suggestions and source Jeff?

Last edited:
Cool - welcome back Jeff! Jeez - didn't even notice that response #15 was you.

Still love the hell out of the drawer. Don't know if you've kept up, but my limited skills build a second row extension/storage drawer. Top hinges toward the center. It's not the quality of your craftsmanship, but it works! All I had to use was a cheap skilsaw, jigsaw and drill. I used your sleeper extension as the template for the top. I couldn't bring myself to use your extension for the top. As you can see I'd have had to cut your extension for the storage top. Pics:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/140001-drawer-system-extension.html?highlight=drawer

Since those pics, I've added Slee's fridge slide to properly secure the fridge! Still need to put in some flush mount tie downs. Really need those. Got any good stought suggestions and source Jeff?

Brent, looks like you've got it down. Nice job. I'll look around for the flush tie-downs I used on the systems before.

BTW, Hakeye, is a great guy! I've known him a long time and if he is taking after his dad in the quality of his workmanship, he'll do great with his systems! I learned a lot of my skills from Hakeye's dad.

Thanks Jeff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom