Anza Borrego SOCAL80 M&G May 8th-9th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.adventureduo.com
Ok everyone, so it seems like the majority of folks want to go to Lower Coyote canyon and i can't blame them its a great place. I'm starting in on the details of this run.

We'll be leaving Friday afternoon to arrive at camp before dark to setup camp. The M&G will be Saturday and Sunday. Some coming out for the day because its mothers day weekend (you guys voted on the date).

Anyhow below are the two GPS coords for the trail entrance and the camp area.

Lower Coyote Canyon trail entrance: 33°19'30.51"N 116°22'3.72"W
33°19'30.51"N 116°22'3.72"W - Google Maps
Lower Coyote Remote Camp: N33 21'54.72 W 116 28'45.50
N33 21'54.72 W 116 28'45.50 - Google Maps

In the Backcountry Adventures book the trail is located on page 369 and gives full coords for all options on the trail. There is river crossings and the last one is usually the deepest, so be prepared for that. Also after the last crossing you will need 4 wheel drive to get up the climb to the valley. Nothing major , but a 2 wheel drive rig won't cut it unless you want to beat on it.

Brent has kindly offered to meet folks down at the trail head/gas station on Saturday AM for those that want to be led in by a veteran to the trail. Let us know if you need assistance.

Make sure to bring anything and everything you'd need in a remote camping trip. There are NO FACILITIES. Make sure to bring plenty of water, fuel for your vehicle and something to take shade. It can get warm.

Communications:
2 meter frequency: 146.460 (i'll be monitoring at camp Friday)
CB channel 12
FRS if need needed
440MHZ if need needed
2m Palomar Repeater if needed

What does everyone want to do for a potluck? I was thinking i could grill a tri-tip to contribute. Post up..

Saturday a group can head out and do some 4 wheeling. There's plenty to do nearby. We need anyone that is interested to go ahead and step up and lead that run. Brent also can take a small somewhat capable group of hikers up to a local water fall if anyone is interested.

I think thats about it.. for now... if anyone has questions, comments or concerns post up now..

Last edited:
sounds great, you guys have a great time! With a bit of luck you might even have a bit of water still running in Sheep canyon if that's where this is (can't get the maps to work). Aren't there some pit toilets there too?

Can you actually get the repeater from down in there?

I'll do an apple cobbler Saturday evening.

Very poor repeater coverage in Sheep Canyon IIRC.

:hmm: Might be in for this one.

If all goes well I should be out there by 5 pm or earlier on Saturday. My flight is supposed to have me in SD by 11 am from Philadelphia.

I'll stop off at my favorite deli/butcher shop and grab some german potato salad for the pot luck.

well...

I would really like to go too. Thinking out loud: With no A/C I might wait to see how the weather is that weekend. I think the rig is in good shape enough to go. I have never taken this clean ride into the rocks, I just hope that with my 31"s I can get up the rocks without any rocker damage? Hmm I need to do some planning/packing consideration.:hmm:

I've been with a 4-runner and stock FJ Cruisers with street tires and they all got up Coyote Canyon...and that was before they took all the fun out of the rock gardens making them easier. AC in May shouldn't be much of an issue unless a heat wave hits. Rear lockers help but aren't necessary. Center/low is plenty unless you really just want to exercise the lockers.

sounds great, you guys have a great time! With a bit of luck you might even have a bit of water still running in Sheep canyon if that's where this is (can't get the maps to work). Aren't there some pit toilets there too?

Can you actually get the repeater from down in there?

There are a few pit toilets however, i dont know if i'd actually use them lol

On the palomar repeater, you'd be surprised.. it all depends.

I'll do an apple cobbler Saturday evening.

Awesome! Just like old times!

If all goes well I should be out there by 5 pm or earlier on Saturday. My flight is supposed to have me in SD by 11 am from Philadelphia.

I'll stop off at my favorite deli/butcher shop and grab some german potato salad for the pot luck.

Awesome! Thanks for making the effort. Potato salad rocks and im german!

:hmm: Might be in for this one.

Now that would make this trip epic. You need to get out and we'd dig seeing you again dude.

I would really like to go too. Thinking out loud: With no A/C I might wait to see how the weather is that weekend. I think the rig is in good shape enough to go. I have never taken this clean ride into the rocks, I just hope that with my 31"s I can get up the rocks without any rocker damage? Hmm I need to do some planning/packing consideration.:hmm:

You'll do just fine. It's easy and we can spot you just fine if need be. Reason for the lengthy description is for anyone thinking of bringing their moms old Buick Regal to the M&G :D

The nearest city is Borrego Springs.. does anyone need to be met there at the gas station or the trail head by Brent on Saturday AM?

Brent what time are you leaving Friday? Did you want to Caravan?

Last edited:
Dave - going to see about getting the day off, so I'll let you know. Would love to caravan.

BTW - I'll have firewood covered completely too!

My golf club now cuts up all the trees removed and splits them for member use. They've got more wood than even I can burn...and the best part...it's FREE to members!

Shoot, thanks Brent i forgot to mention Firewood. Is it dry yet? Freshly cut wood doesn't burn well sometimes.. especially after rain :D

Speaking of which, you're bringing your trailer right??

Let me know if/when you want to leave Friday.. we'll forward the phone and work from the road.
Leave from Anaheim so we can run past you and up over Ortega... or meet east of the I-15.

Last edited:
Like Landcrusher said in the other thread, I might make it out late Friday afternoon and leave late Saturday because of Mother's Day. If you need anymore firewood, I have some seasoned eucalyptus I can bring. I am really looking forward to this. :bounce:

Trailer isn't ready yet - No lid or tailgate. Saving my pennies to get those two items done. No tail lights back on either. Holding off any more priming and painting until the lid and tailgate are done. Have enough for the lid, but not the tailgate yet. :frown:

Club has one BIG stack of firewood that's well seasoned. Stan and I burned plenty of it a few weeks back with no problem at all. hehehe :D

Meeting along I-15 is fine. No sense in you back tracking this direction.

woohoo

Thanks for the encouragement guys. There are so many new aspects of this potential trip (older car, less cargo space for camping supplies and dogs, no A/C, manual trans, and carb, and the whole sliding around on the bench with lap belts thing). Anyhow I am pretty excited about finally meeting the bunch and driving a 40 in the sticks!

FYI I am looking at leaving around 1-2pm on saturday as the :princess:has class from 9-12. I don't know when you're leaving Dan? The other thing is I can only reach about 60 top speed and thats flat land:D.

I met a cool guy in my neighborhood from Dallas with nice 78 that might join. We both have the same limitations.:steer:

I took the beast out to Fiesta Island today and put it into 4low and now I am really eager to take it wheeling.:bounce:

Last edited:
Dang guys I wish I could make this trip. I'm heading out to the Inyo's for a week.....have a great time!

te he he

You could sell the 40 and get a 80.

That is pretty funny if you know anything about me. At least for today I am far from that inclination..;)

FYI I am looking at leaving around 1-2pm on saturday as the :princess:has class from 9-12. I don't know when you're leaving Dan? The other thing is I can only reach about 60 top speed and thats flat land:D.

Zach, that is about the time I should be leaving. Let's try and meet up and head out together.

I'll shoot you a PM with my pertinent info.

Hey Guys,

My gf I will try make this one. If we come, I think we will take off early Sat morning and be there before noon.

I will bring my moms hummus, and bring some rancheras like the one from SNT.

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom