Anyway to lift the spare tire mount higher (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aside from drilling new holes a bit higher on the factory mount, is there an aftermarket solution? I know you can buy adapters for Jeep spare tire carriers which lift them up about 3 or so inches to make room for bigger tires. Anything for the 78 series prado that is similar?? I've searched and can't seem to come up with anything..

I just drilled out the spot welds of the backer the lugs are on and moved it up within the carrier. Mounts stay the same on the door, but moves the tire up enough to clear the bumper easily.

That was the easiest fix I came up with with I was looking at this problem.

I just drilled out the spot welds of the backer the lugs are on and moved it up within the carrier. Mounts stay the same on the door, but moves the tire up enough to clear the bumper easily.

That was the easiest fix I came up with with I was looking at this problem.

Yea, I'm thinking this is the route I will likely go myself...

It will. However it changes the angle of the lower support . Which makes the weight of the tire pull nearer the center of the door as opposed to being a downward pushing force nearer the bottom of door. Which is stronger and rests on the latch.
The odds of it tweaking the door out increases when doing this.
If you look at the design of the mount, it is engineered to transfer the load more towards the lower edge of the door.

It's a minor change, but it will change to direction of force on the rear door. Which is already borderline for holding the tire, especially going with a larger and heavier tire.

But, it will work.

Get one with the tyre on the RH side so you can still open the small rear door without having to swing the tyre out.

If you are running tires larger/heavier than stock your Door will be much happier without having to deal with a tire hanging off of it. I have a Kaymar bumper on mine but those are hard to come by over here. Kurt's bumper is damn nice.

@cruiserdan Cruiser brothers are new Kaymar Dealers for the US.

Cool! That must be brand new. Exciting. Great products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom