Anything I need to know before I start with the new shocks on 2010 4Runner Limited? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got this used (but very well taken care-off) 2010 4Runner Limited. During the pre-purchase inspection, everything checked out, except that the front shocks were leaking. My Limited has the x-reas system, and the shop (and a second mechanic out of Austin) both recommended removing and replacing with Bilsteins 5100's and the KYB tops.

I got all of the parts on hand now:
new_shocks.jpg

My plan is to start tomorrow Friday. I have found one video on doing this on a gen4 4Runner, so I have a place to start. Any other things I should know before I do the swap?

What is intended goal of the rig? Stock and a townie? Gain some lift/clearance and some increased off-road capability? actually venturing off road and doing trails?
Bilsteins are good and there is a front 5100 with adjustability built in, so you can just seat the spring perch differently and afford some front levelling or lift.... 👍 🤘

*Edit* Ah, i see you already have the bits to swap out front shocks...

Last edited:
What is intended goal of the rig? Stock and a townie? Gain some lift/clearance and some increased off-road capability? actually venturing off road and doing trails?
Bilsteins are good and there is a front 5100 with adjustability built in, so you can just seat the upper spring perch differently and afford some front levelling or lift.... 👍 🤘

Ah, i see you already have the bits to swap out front shocks...

Stock ride, 95% townie, pave roads, and one weekend a month light trails while camping with the Boy Scouts. Most people just have a regular car/sedan for campouts, but they get all scratched, scraped, stuck ocasionally, so I after Cub Scouts I got the Suburban.

The Suburban has been 100% reliable, and it has done OK to most campsites, but being RWD I got stock twice now, in these "light" camping trails, so I basically had lost the confidence on the Suburban. My friends who do 4x4, and my extensive research for the last 12+ months pointed to an used 4Runner 4x4 as the ideal choice. So having the 4Runner, even in stock form will be worlds apart more capable for those rare occasions.

The 5100s will be great for a stock shock replacement. Those situations are cake for your rig. The limited allows a full time AWD setting right? So you can town drive RWD, do weather and dirt roads in AWD then select 4WD for trails. Bone stock your rig is VERY capable off road, so the light dirt roads/forest roads for car camping will be cake. You've gotten a great rig! 🤙

As mentioned earlier, you could put a small levelling spacer in the front struts when you out it back together
I've got a 0.75" puck spacer in mine and it lifted the front skid plate 1.5" up. For a 95% daily driver with occasional off pavement jaunts, it'd be a perfect setup to gain a little comfort space under that front skid plate and a nice little stance. 👍

The 5100s will be great for a stock shock replacement. Those situations are cake for your rig. The limited allows a full time AWD setting right? So you can town drive RWD, do weather and dirt roads in AWD then select 4WD for trails. Bone stock your rig is VERY capable off road, so the light dirt roads/forest roads for car camping will be cake. You've gotten a great rig! 🤙

As mentioned earlier, you could put a small levelling spacer in the front struts when you out it back together
I've got a 0.75" puck spacer in mine and it lifted the front skid plate 1.5" up. For a 95% daily driver with occasional off pavement jaunts, it'd be a perfect setup to gain a little comfort space under that front skid plate and a nice little stance. 👍
For the fronts, I will follow your advice and adjust the 5100's to the first setting above normal, for about an .85" lift:
20190914_065339.jpg

20190914_065428.jpg

Of course got the new KYB tops ready as well:
20190914_070708.jpg

Hope to finish the fronts this morning (Sat) :)

Don’t think you need to replace the strut mount unless you know they have gone bad.
For the $20 or so that each one cost, I felt better putting new ones.

All done. Man, the x-reas system was messy:
20190913_154622.jpg

20190913_154643.jpg

All shocks were leaking, but more so the front ones (here next to the new one):
20190920_093833.jpg

Used the first level up, for about 3/4" or so of "lift" on front, which now makes it "closer" to being/looking even with the back:
20190920_185818.jpg

20190920_185533.jpg

For the $20 or so that each one cost, I felt better putting new ones.

All done. Man, the x-reas system was messy:
View attachment 2087743

View attachment 2087744

All shocks were leaking, but more so the front ones (here next to the new one):
View attachment 2087746

Used the first level up, for about 3/4" or so of "lift" on front, which now makes it "closer" to being/looking even with the back:
View attachment 2087753

View attachment 2087754

Only 20 bucks each? The front usually is close to 200 due to the bearings and the rear was 100 each but I haven’t looked carefully.

Btw it looks great but time for some 17 inch wheels and some big boy tires!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom