1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone with skills for GPS track conversion to image files?

Discussion in 'NM- High Desert Cruisers' started by marcfj60, Oct 25, 2017.

1. marcfj60

marcfj60

Media:
    Albums:
    I've got a friend that rides 2-wheelers that is looking for some guidance on manipulating GPS track data. He asked if anyone in HDC has skills with doing this kind of stuff. I told him I would ask. Below is specifically what he is trying to learn how to do:

Know anyone in your FJ club that is REALLY good at converting GPS tracks to an image (img) file that can be uploaded to a GPS receiver? I have a Garmin Mapsource output file in .gdb (or *.mp) format, containing the stored tracks. I don't need background pictures from Google Maps, topos or other, to be included. I seek to make an image file (.img) that is directly loadable to my Garmin GPS V rec'r. Am using GPSmapedit for *.gdb manipulation, and cGPSmapper for uploading. Am stuck in how to edit layers in GPSmapedit.

2. pappy

pappy photosynthesizing Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Why won't the Garmin .gdb load directly into the Garmin 5? Save to Mapsource. Plug in Garmin 5. Upload.

If that is an issue, get GPS Babble.

3. marcfj60

marcfj60

Media:
    Albums:
  4. sl33p3

sl33p3 still waking up...

i did exactly this a few years ago, very rusty but i figured it out once... i could try and clear cobwebs if he hasn't gotten it yet.

put all teh cedro trails i had ridden into my gpsmap 76 and made it a layer i could enable or not.

FWIW and it's not for everyone, but i have moved to Gaia GPS app on my phone.