Anyone with factory chromed alloys??

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by IdahoDoug, Aug 14, 2005.

1. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

I have a question for anyone with these - are the center caps also chromed?

Thanks!

DougM

2. mooker82

mooker82

The ones that I have seen that were chrome on an LX had chrome center caps. They were that cheap chrome plastic kind of stuff.

3. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

I have only ever seen one picture of them and it was a LX...and they looked plastic...(chipping).

4. syrinxstar

syrinxstar

My LX had chrome wheels and the center caps were chromed as well (all of it chipping/peeling, of course).

5. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Mine were chromed - the LX 450 version.

The center caps were plastic "chromed". They're thinner plastic than OEM and use a lower quality wire retaining clip inside the cap.

6. ParadiseCruiser

ParadiseCruiser

D -

My sister's 40th has chromed alloys. I've been told that this was not an OEM option (for the "Land Cruiser"), nor was it even a port addition, but something individual dealers offered for a little bling.

Her truck also has the 93-94 black-centered center caps, so I think you are going to find a lot of variables here.

Cheers, R -

7. Poriomania

Poriomania

I guess that's why I could never keep them on the front. :rolleyes:

8. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    What took place was there were/are some plating companies that would take OEM alloys and polish and plate them. Since the OEM caps can't easily be plated the platers contracted with off-shore (Tiawan et-al) companies to provide chrome knockoffs of the original center caps. The copies are poor at best and our dealership never pursued this add-on for a number of reasons, among them the suspect quality of the caps and the fact that if a wheel was damaged or the plating lifted it would require a new wheel AND plating to repair it. That could easily be 500 bucks a rattle. In addition it is very difficult to mount and dismount tires without damaging the wheel.

D-

9. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Thanks for the clarification. So, what about an LX chromed center cap - are they available from the factory, or was that also a local dealer chrome deal? Can't believe I forgot this - I clearly remember writing a position paper on our strategy to handle chrome wheel demands from Lexus dealers but do not remember the position I chose. Getting old...

Basically, I just want to know if I can get chromed center caps anywhere.

DougM

10. jpwelling

jpwelling

I ended up with what looks like what Dan is describing as the dealer chrome wheel add on. After a couple of the cheap center caps (with wire clips) lost themselves, I replaced all 4 with grey OEM ones a while back (from SOR I think). Now I have 1 good original looking wheel (was the spare) and 4 awfull looking chrome peeling wheels. Not to hijack the thread, but any suggestions on stripping and restoring the "chromed" wheels would be appreciated.

11. alaskacruiser

alaskacruiser

IdahoDoug- I recently called my Lexus dealer to price a center cap for my LX- they said there are 2 versions: chrome for about $45 and regular for about $70. Makes me wonder if the chromed versions are the same type of cheap knock-offs CDan was referring to. Fortunately, I do not have chromed wheels. :)

12. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Alaska,

Thanks - bet you're right. Wonder if the cheap knockoffs could be modded with the proper Toyota clips so they don't wander off. This is turning into a sad thread. I'm talking about modifying a chrome center cap by cannibalizing a non chrome one. The leaf sprung Cruiser guys must be howling by now..... <grin>

DougM

13. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

14. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    My statement applies to both Lexus and Toyota wheels.

That is correct.

Do remember that not all dealers dabbled in chrome wheels and some may not know what you are talking about if you ask them.

15. informationjunky

informationjunky

Albums:
    Interesting thread, I pulled off my caps and the front had "wire" retainer. Backs had six little press on retainers on the edges. Chrome lexus caps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.