Anyone with a Pre 71 40 update their alternator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geocities.com
I did a search and found some interesting information regarding alternators and the upgrading process. I was hoping to avoid any fabrication, looking for a GM alternator that would simply bolt on with the change of the belt pulley. Just wondering if anyone has a cross reference number for such an alternator?

Or any suggestions for such an upgrade.
Here's an image of what my alternator (stock) looks like

Thanks,
coolfj40_1883_17496518.jpeg

Im looking to. Oh if you do a search i posted about this earlier and their is alot of helpful advise about what alternators are best. goodluck!

By the way I love ur cruiser. Love the blue

Thanks Okie, I read your post - quite helpful - looks like I'll have to get some innards, or fab something with the mounts. Meh, I'll figure it out.
The cruiser thanks you for your comment, she’s still feeling a little self conscious (her bits are still hanging out all over the place)…

Basically, I needed to replace my alternator. Searced around a bit and bought an alternator from CCoT. It took a bit to get here and when it finally did, they sent me the wrong size alternator with the part number AL902x or something and sent me AL209x. So I called and they said they'd send me a new one and send mine back. So I got it back and this one was much bigger and looked all good for it to fit. Went to install it and i noticed everything was on the opposite side as my original. Theres a little \_/ shaped block that protects a bolt, well that little shape was in the way of pulling down my slidebard to lock in the alternator, no worries i figure'd id just cut it to fit, went to take out the bolt that goes into the engine block, it was so rusted the head broke off and i now have a rusted in bolt stuck into my engine block.

Story made short: IMO, its an iffy buy. I'd call and ask a few questions before buying.

Hey,
I adapted a GM 160A alternator to my '74 FJ40, used a modified 2 wire setup, with a smaller pully setup. Totally satisfied with the product/upgrade. I am thinking of making a few mounts to sell since I have some extra stock milled up to fit the stock mounting slot/holes. Anybody willing to cough up some cash for a F/2F-GM alternator mount? Lets hear how much?
eric

Otterav said:
Hey,
I adapted a GM 160A alternator to my '74 FJ40, used a modified 2 wire setup, with a smaller pully setup. Totally satisfied with the product/upgrade. I am thinking of making a few mounts to sell since I have some extra stock milled up to fit the stock mounting slot/holes. Anybody willing to cough up some cash for a F/2F-GM alternator mount? Lets hear how much?
eric

IF it would work on my 8/73 F engine, I would poney up as long as you would include a full write up on converting the alternator over with pcitures for the visual people. Send me a PM with a price.
Slickrock

You can get remanufactured OEM alternators from Toyota.

Don't think you want 160 amps in an FJ40 with stock wiring.

IDave said:
Dave,
I wrote this up previously, I installed a 4ga wire from the alt to the battery and will be adding new segments of wire to accomodate and other expansion/electrical needs. You are correct running that kind of amperage through the stock wires wouldn't hold up for long. Obviously one needs to plan for the needs of a particular application, winch, compressor ect. That being said my stock alternator was not providing enough oomph, so out it went and the rest is history.
eric

IDave said:
Dave,
I wrote this up previously, I installed a 4ga wire from the alt to the battery and will be adding new segments of wire to accomodate and other expansion/electrical needs. You are correct running that kind of amperage through the stock wires wouldn't hold up for long. Obviously one needs to plan for the needs of a particular application, winch, compressor ect. That being said my stock alternator was not providing enough oomph, so out it went and the rest is history.
eric
P.S. For what it is worth most alternators have a common shaft size. So pick your size pulley or use your stocker.

What's that smell.... I'll bring the dogs...

Sounds great to have but why? .... unless you're welding with it or running 400 rocklights and fog lights and a kick ass XM radio set up..

Cheers,

Hey,
I figgered if I was going to adapt an alternator, I would find the most bang for the buck. Run a couple KC Daylighters at low crawl rpms and the battery goes flat quickly. My preference was high output at low rpms, whopping output at high rpms was just a bonus.
eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom