Anyone who can provide some San Diego insight??? 1974 FJ40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello to all, and thanks for any info and/or recommendations.

I purchased a '74 FJ several months ago. Nice LC with V8 Conversion that was completed moons ago (long enough ago that has a CA BAR certification label), probably 20+ years. To the untrained eye, the Conversion looks very factory, especially with tthe accumulated years of dust in the engine compartment.

Overall, it's in 'nice' shape and I probably risk getting noobie flamed here... but I think it nearly rust free. I haven't researched the registration history it to a detailed extent yet, but believe it a CA original vehicle since new (still wears the 70's era CA blue plates which are very mint). Again, I'm not a FJ expert, I've just admired them since I was a kid and trusted the seller 100% who'd owned it maybe 10 years and understood they were the second owner, making myself #3. So I took a leap of faith as I didn't want to miss out as the car wasn't yet advertised.

Anyway, to date, I haven't done much with it and it's been garaged since. I have some ideas, like swapping out the hard top for a soft top as the wife would like. As a car purist, I wouldn't want to risk doing something I'd kick myself later (.like removing a hard top that may have been before to appease someone who really doesn't care much either way).

Being a muscle car fan for years, I have appreciation for how two seemingly similar vehicles will have completely different values. I've been doing my homework and trying to get a good understanding of the FJ nuances and what makes what...what, but I think this is a case where it's better to just ask someone who knows much more than I can learn in a few evenings time.

Aside from the motor/tranny swap, .... I'd like to know what is or isn't original and how it impacts the overall value, especially relating to originality. I'm not a hard-core offroader, tho I definitely have been and love it. I just don't think I'd do it this this one.

So looking for a San Diego reference or the area who can provide insights, be it an individual or professional company. If can provide informal, or even an formalized report. Be happy to pay for a fair price for that service. I'd really like to have the information for insurance purposes and of course, my own knowledge.

Thank you for any insights.
IMG_20190617_125552179_HDR. license plate delete.jpg

IMG_20190618_183729338_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190618_162507728_HDR (1).jpg

Last edited:
Chrome rear barn door latch should be painted as well as the door hinges, gas fill door, spare tire hinges, kick vents, front door hinges , hood hinges basically ANYTHING chrome is not original except for the outer door handles and rear door pull

Front bezel did come chrome as an option ... however ... most likely it was chromed with everything else

Rear bumperetts are custom

Radio antenna is not oem

Rear gas tank not oem

directionals should not be body color

Front winch is not oem (however I got the same style and it is hardcore, great winch)

Rims and tires not original

Chrome strips around back and side should not be there

Truck mirrors are vintage jcwhitney ... not original

Rear wheel flares not good because it maybe cut underneath on wheel wells

Looks undercoated

Receiver not oem or the trailer harness

Chrome footman loops should be body color as well ... goes with all the other not chrome stuff

Missing toyota rear emblem

Side aprons should be black and chrome ... yours are all chrome ... man they went chrome crazy

Seat upholstery looks not oem

Front are rear shackles are conferr and that could be who did your v8 conversion as well

Power steering not oem

Front bumper not original

Missing original running boards as well ... those shorty boards I think were a Downey item @Downey

Booster looks replaced

Missing washer bottle

Shocks not original

... that’s just the stuff I can see on my iPhone 5s (small screen) lol

Hope I didn’t scare you off ...

It is a good looking truck !!! Congrats on it

Chrome rear barn door latch should be painted as well as the door hinges, gas fill door, spare tire hinges, kick vents, front door hinges , hood hinges basically ANYTHING chrome is not original except for the outer door handles and rear door pull

Front bezel did come chrome as an option ... however ... most likely it was chromed with everything else

Rear bumperetts are custom

Radio antenna is not oem

Rear gas tank not oem

directionals should not be body color

Front winch is not oem (however I got the same style and it is hardcore, great winch)

Rims and tires not original

Chrome strips around back and side should not be there

Truck mirrors are vintage jcwhitney ... not original

Rear wheel flares not good because it maybe cut underneath on wheel wells

Looks undercoated

Receiver not oem or the trailer harness

Chrome footman loops should be body color as well ... goes with all the other not chrome stuff

Missing toyota rear emblem

Side aprons should be black and chrome ... yours are all chrome ... man they went chrome crazy

Seat upholstery looks not oem

Front are rear shackles are conferr and that could be who did your v8 conversion as well

Power steering not oem

Front bumper not original

Missing original running boards as well ... those shorty boards I think were a Downey item @Downey

Booster looks replaced

Missing washer bottle

Shocks not original

... that’s just the stuff I can see on my iPhone 5s (small screen) lol

Hope I didn’t scare you off ...

It is a good looking truck !!! Congrats on it

Naw Johnny... couldn't scare me off that easy. I appreciate the input and the list. Some of the stuff I kinda knew, especially with respect to the considerable amount of time and $$ someone went going chrome crazy.

Few things:
* Not undercoated just shadows....I'm about 99% sure anyways.
* Thankfully, don't think there is anything hiding underneath the body chrome strips (unlike my old jeep commando. lol). I took a quick look and metal seems straight and sharp from backside.
* I don't think the wheel wells were cut but will be sure to check. Hopefully not

But thank you! Please do keep questions/comments coming. I can provide more detailed pics of anything to help clarify what is/or isn't original. I've been meaning to take some interior pics as well, I just keep holding off because of all the stuff inside (Original/new consoles, tow bar/chains, original jack/tools, fire extinguisher, manual, etc). I've thought to take it all out to take picks but haven't made time.

Any chance one of the previous owners was Art Para ???, he had a bright red chromed-out FJ40 back in the day.

Cant quite tell if the hood is just missing its chrome ornament or if its a one piece. It should (by my reckoning) have a split two piece hood. But maybe its just the photo hiding it

No clue. I understand the woman I bought it from purchased it from someone who had purchased it to resell. I believe she said she it was originally from Northern CA. I wonder if a title search/Carfax would disclose that?

Would I be a newbie dweeb if I asked who Art Para is (or was)? I google him...but no luck.

That’s a nice looking truck. I also have a 74, an I’m ready to sell my soft top. Let me know if you’re interested. It’s a lightly used Bestop Supertop in excellent condition. Light gray. PM me and I’ll send photos.

Looks not split to me... and that would be correct for 74’ (one piece)
So your saying in 74 they kept the old style doors and indicators but made the switch to the new style hood? Interesting. You learn something new every day. I always thought they swapped everything over all together

So to add a bit and some more photos. Finally got some of the 'junk' outta the back and took some better pics as possible, in a garage anyways. Needed them to get the insurance on it anyways.
Before go picture crazy... wondering if any reason I shouldn't put a picture of the vin? Anyone feel like theres potential for someone to use it in a negative way. Could blur it out I spose, but wanted to get opinions.

Thank you again for any all comments. I appreciate any suggestions of value as I need to get an appropriate insurance value for coverage. Up to 25k value, I don't need a professional appraisal. My other half really likes it too...so that alone makes it a winner. It is important to me to make good decisions with it both from a preservation and value standpoint.
It has a story with the original CA compliance sticker under the hood, and then the CA bar sticker making the 350 legal somewhere in the 70's I'm guessing judging by the date code on the extra gas tank (Dec 1979). Throw in the original blue plates and it's a neat kinda survivor that hasn't changed much in 40+ years aside from the addition of carpet, soundproofing, and ~gasp~ the addition of a in dash radio. That I wish hadn't happened.
But yeah, I dunno if could be called a survivor with a V8 and the mad bling attack it got along the way, but I plan to rock it. Wouldn't do it myself, but its what was the rage once upon a time and already there. Love...Love.... Love the Pontiac steering wheel. Guessing it was 'The' way to get power steering retrofitted. Works great tho.

Be neat to do a title history report, and see what I can find out. Wish I had more records from its history.

74 Land Cruiser Drivers Side Door bottom .jpg

74 Land Cruiser Drivers Side Interior from outside.jpg

74 Land Cruiser Drivers Side Interior.jpg

74 Land Cruiser Extras....Jack... Consoles.... Winch... Custom tow bar.....jpg

74 Land Cruiser Jack 2nd gas tank with Dec 1979 Sticker.jpg

Even though it has some California-funky mods, that's a sharp truck. Won't take too much to dial back the chrome-attack appearance. Nice find! The Pontiac wheel appears to be attached to a GM column. That' something you could swap out some day for the genuine article. But, I'd drive it and enjoy it as it sits and work on it as desired.

So there's the interior. Appreciate heads-up on any details. Know steering wheel is a Pontiac and radio are aftermarket. Floors are very nice as well. Didn't see the need to strip away the sound deadener and carpet to get pics... not that motivated. I already paid for it!

If anyone has a suggestion on any more photos to determine anything... please fire away. Also, took the chance and posted Vin....If think I should remove, will do. Thanks again.

1974 Land Cruiser Rear Jump Seats down.jpg

The GM steering wheel & column are a typical mod when changing to a V8 cuz the V8 won’t fit with the stock steering column

Do you have the crank & rods that go with the Jack? Don’t lose that stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom