Anyone who can provide some San Diego insight??? 1974 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine is 170268, Feb 1974. Check the top of your seats. Someone may have upholstered over the holes for the head rests. There might be a pair of holes on each seat where they plug in. I got mine out of a 1975 parts truck.
20B6AFF4-D80C-43FB-BB8A-E1321ECEFFB2.jpeg

Being a muscle car fan for years, I have appreciation for how two seemingly similar vehicles will have completely different values. I've been doing my homework and trying to get a good understanding of the FJ nuances and what makes what...what, but I think this is a case where it's better to just ask someone who knows much more than I can learn in a few evenings time.

Aside from the motor/tranny swap, .... I'd like to know what is or isn't original and how it impacts the overall value, especially relating to originality. I'm not a hard-core offroader, tho I definitely have been and love it. I just don't think I'd do it this this one.

Stock original commands the best price. Restomods get good prices, but, the buyers are a smaller group and require personal details. If you purchased this as a personal love , great.

Even though it has some California-funky mods, that's a sharp truck. Won't take too much to dial back the chrome-attack appearance. Nice find! The Pontiac wheel appears to be attached to a GM column. That' something you could swap out some day for the genuine article. But, I'd drive it and enjoy it as it sits and work on it as desired.
Mine is 170268, Feb 1974. Check the top of your seats. Someone may have upholstered over the holes for the head rests. There might be a pair of holes on each seat where they plug in. I got mine out of a 1975 parts truck. View attachment 2114918
Will definitely look..thank you for the heads up.

So your saying in 74 they kept the old style doors and indicators but made the switch to the new style hood? Interesting. You learn something new every day. I always thought they swapped everything over all together

One piece hoods started in 72’

Toyota was always making subtle changes .... we had 74’ the first year to go combination rear lights (3) ... however they did have combination lights (amber/red only) before that ... just not in USA as well as the larger clear/amber front turn signals came out in 74’ we (USA) got them in 75’

75’ was the big change over year as well as 79’ making production run longer 74 and 78 everything else was minor changes here and there... the other MrT ... Mr. T. Ohno liked changes to enhance production and eliminate waste in production (he is also the reason we have many parts unavailable now ... he was good and bad for our world lol)

Even though it has some California-funky mods, that's a sharp truck. Won't take too much to dial back the chrome-attack appearance. Nice find! The Pontiac wheel appears to be attached to a GM column. That' something you could swap out some day for the genuine article. But, I'd drive it and enjoy it as it sits and work on it as desired.
I agree 100%. No sense in changing much unless doing a full restoration. As is, it tells its own story...of the last few decades anyway. it's a bit late 80's out ...but I plan to keep it as is for a minute and enjoy it.

Do you have the crank & rods that go with the Jack? Don’t lose that stuff!
No unfortunately. I'm going to hit up the previous owner. Would love to get the rest of the Jack equipment and the original radio. Is there anywhere else on the truck the rest of the jack pieces might be stashed???

On my1974 the two rods mount on spring clips that are screwed to the top of the quarter panel, under the passenger side jump seat. I never liked the location because the edges of those two spring clips are sharp as can be. I made a canvas roll pouch for my Jack gear and tuck it all under the drivers seat.

I probably still have the clips if you want them, I can’t remember where the crank is supposed to be stored.
I’ll forward a couple of pictures.

On my1974 the two rods mount on spring clips that are screwed to the top of the quarter panel, under the passenger side jump seat. I never liked the location because the edges of those two spring clips are sharp as can be. I made a canvas roll pouch for my Jack gear and tuck it all under the drivers seat.

I probably still have the clips if you want them, I can’t remember where the crank is supposed to be stored.
I’ll forward a couple of pictures.
Good to know, thank you. The next time I have a chance, I'll look under the passenger side jump seat. I have enough pics I took recently, I will look at those as well in the mean time.

Good to know, thank you. The next time I have a chance, I'll look under the passenger side jump seat. I have enough pics I took recently, I will look at those as well in the mean time.
Score!
Looks like a full complement in the original spot. Thanks for the heads up. Probably would have run into them soon enough, but cool to awesome to know they are there. So am I correct to assume the bottle jack is the correct original as well??

Yes, and it mounts under the drivers seat.

E5A9A945-97C9-438C-8AE1-FB01F6EB652B.jpeg

Maybe I’m wrong but from your pictures it looks like the paint on the dash, inside and engine bay is faded. It’s a great looking truck, I would go to work on it with some polishing compound.

13996494-527A-4663-937B-12D6109A64FB.jpeg

You rang? VM replied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom