Anyone wheeled in Smith Mtn. Lake VA?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Mark SR., Jul 26, 2005.

1. Mark SR.

Mark SR.

I am heading to SML this weekend for 6 days w/ the family/friends. Anyone know a good reason to take the LC instead of the wife's company Windstar in which gas is free? It is a 4-5 hr. drive for us.
    Thanks,

-Mark

2. swank60

swank60

To be honest with you, I can't think of anywhere around the lake (on the Roanoke side) where you can really go wheeling. It's been a few years since I've been there, but for many years now, development has really taken over and all 500 miles of shoreline are taken up with big 'ol houses, etc...

Have a good time though. Great lake. I spent most of my summers there as a teenager...good times, good times. :D

3. cruiser4life

cruiser4life

Yeah, SML is a great place. Good friends have a house on the Lake and we make the trip a few times a year.

There is a place south of SML and North East of Matinsville called Turkey Cock Mountain. Some forest roads and decent off road trails but I don't have specific directions info from there. Been there a few times in the Cruiser but it's pretty rural down that way.

Link: http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/wma/maps/turkeycock_mountain.pdf

Look at the trail marked Jeep trail on the upper left side of the map.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.