Anyone weld the sunroof hole shut? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are a few things i hate in life one of them are sunroofs. My 90 4Runner and a couple vehicles that I had while stationed over seas had problems such as leaking and/or noises with the sunroofs. They cause nothing but issues and are heavy so anyway I ordered the two forward roof supports from Japan. I’m just curious if anyone here has performed this permanent fix for sunroofs? It doesn’t sound like a popular idea. Once complete I want to devise something to securely stow a APC9 and ammo lol.

There are a few things i hate in life one of them are sunroofs. My 90 4Runner and a couple vehicles that I had while stationed over seas had problems such as leaking and/or noises with the sunroofs. They cause nothing but issues and are heavy so anyway I ordered the two forward roof supports from Japan. I’m just curious if anyone here has performed this permanent fix for sunroofs? It doesn’t sound like a popular idea. Once complete I want to devise something to securely stow a APC9 and ammo lol.
Why do you hate America?

There are a bunch of threads about it. Someone did a really nice job with sheet metal last year or so in a thread but I can’t find it at the moment….

Mine is welded up and has been for 15+ years with zero regrets. I did it because my truck was a roll-over and this was easier than getting a usable sunroof in and working again, but I'd be very tempted to do it even if I wasn't in the repair boat.

I'd love to find a headliner from a non sunroof truck to swap in, but I've kinda given up hope there. So I just have a sunroof shade that opens to nowhere.

I like the light source and don't mind anything else. My motor works, but everything that keeps it leak-free is original, and I had the typical wet floorboards upon purchase (one part sunroof, other part windshield). PO had sealed it poorly, so I redid it. Undid their seal job, slid it open, sealed around the mating surface and then ran a bead on top as well. Then I pulled the sunroof wires from the overhead switch so I couldn't accidentally activate the motor (which I had done prior). I live in a great proving ground for waterproofing, and it's been dry as a bone.

I don’t hate The United States of America. I served this country for 20 years in the USAF. I know this country has many issues but I’ve seen many s***ty countries as well. We have it good we are just spoiled.
They don’t issue jokes in the USAF?

So to wrap this up- yes it can be done and done well. Time has shown with the correct amount of research and skill, this is possible. It is a land cruiser after all.

Or if you're interested in going the other way and fixing the leaks so you have a usable sunroof that's much easier. I was really close to sealing mine up when someone pointed me in this direction. I basically was having trouble with mine leaking. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't stop the leaking. I ended up pulling the front drain tubes out of the kick panels and re-routing them through factory holes in the floorboard. Just pulled the rubber grommets out and ran the hoses through them. Never had another problem with them leaking. Not saying this will fix your problem, or general dislike for sunroofs, but it might help.

Yeah I opened the shade up one day while driving and the plastics decided to disintegrate and shower me with 26 year old Toyota love. After that I was like you’re going away. It’ll be awhile before I get to it though.

Yeah I opened the shade up one day while driving and the plastics decided to disintegrate and shower me with 26 year old Toyota love. After that I was like you’re going away. It’ll be awhile before I get to it though.
I hear ya. My plastics were just loose but the rattling was driving me crazy so I just went ahead and took them off.

At least you don't have this going on! :rofl:

1679328959192.png

I retired a few years ago (2017) and I guess lost some of my sense of humor. Does FMC80 stand for Fully Mission Capable 80 by any chance?
Congrats on your retirement; thank you for your service. You guessed correctly what my Mud handle stands for. A play on the silly FMC 80% that Maddog Mattis came up with.

Congrats on your retirement; thank you for your service. You guessed correctly what my Mud handle stands for. A play on the silly FMC 80% that Maddog Mattis came up with.
Thanks man glad it’s over and a new chapter started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom