anyone want to help get an exhaust stud out this weekend 3/3-4 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone want to help a newbie try to get an exhaust stud out? I spent today trying to arc weld a nut onto a sheared off bolt, but everytime i tried to turn it, the weld broke....

If anyone is around over the weekend and wants to help... I have beer and lunch/snacks!!!!

David

Hey David, did you used to own a 60 series? If so, good to see you back with a 40. If your weld is breaking it sounds like you are not getting good penetration. After you hit the stud with a torch or welder put some parrafin on the stud threads and it should suck it into the head and make it easy for you to break it free. If you have some Kroil spray that on there or Rust Buster or Liquid Wrench or any other penetrant.

I do have Kroil, but i have to say I am not even positive I am gettinga good weld... this was my first attempt.... I hit it with some blasts of Kroil today... but it started raining before I could try to weld another nut on it. The stud sheared off flush with the surface....

David.
Have you tried a bolt extractor instead of the weld method? Those things get a pretty good bite on the stud. With that, heat and Kroil you might be able to get it. I have a set you can borrow. I'm in Alexandria, but would be happy to meet you where ever your 40 is parked sometime this weekend, but Sunday afternoon would be best for me. Let me know!

Cheers,
John

Someone with far more welding experience than me once said with a flush or below flush bolt, carefully build up a welded ring on the broken bolt to raise it above flush, then weld the nut on. The welding should help break the rust bond. Kroil, kroil, kroil after it cools.

:eek: Duh. I shoulda read more closely:

"The stud sheared off flush with the surface...."

So, I reckon that extractor won't help ya! Sorry about that! :D

throw a washer on

I have had sucess with this before, although not on exhaust studs. Before you weld your nut on, tack a washer on first, use new rods, if the rod sticks, replace it. Good luck.
Jon

Going to try and use a bolt extractor today.... even though it is flush maybe i can drill in and get some purchase... I'll let ya know... if not.. anyone want some welding practice this weekend?

I would strongly recommend against that, especially where you're drilling, into the head. I've seen too many of these gone bad. Especially if the extractor snaps off in the bolt. Once snapped, you can't drill into the extractor to remove, it's too hard. Plus, you have to drill that sucker dead on, or you're farked. If the bolt is so rusted in place that it snapped, it's a good bet that you will not get it out with an extractor. YMMV

I have had some good luck where a bolt that wasn't rusted in place was retrievable in this manner.

nevermind... bolt extractor broke off... i tried to chisel it out with a punch... cracked the manifold.... here are pics of the remains...
broken off casing.jpg

Looks like it's time for a header...

http://www.marksoffroad.net/specials/TriY-Header.html

Mark is a great vendor, kind of hard to get a hold of but a very nice guy.

I am usually a fan of the stock manifold but it might be hard to find the right one for your truck. Someone on pirate is selling a complete 74 F, maybe he'd sell just the manifold.

FYI, you usually can't mix and match intakes and exhaust manifolds. They are milled together meaning not all are the same thickness. You might be able to find one that is close, but better to get a matched pair.

On one of my 40's I had a crack like that where I was able to gind a flat spot and just use a nut and bolt instead of a stud and bolt. Kind of cheddar but it worked.

Check your DC smog laws before you get a header. Technically not legal here VA.

-Stumbaugh

Oh, I thought you were talking about the manifold studs that go into the head, not the studs that go into the head pipe mount.

Last edited:
I think I have a manifold from a fj60, complete with both the intake and exhaust....I think that should bolt up for you. The good part about the later manifolds is that the exhaust is 3 pieces and helps avoid the warping common in the earlier ones. You will need to change the exhaust flange on your muffler to one that accepts three bolts instead of two...

or you can go to a header as mentioned....

bk

BK, thanks for the offer... I am going to see if I can't find a set together... if not...I will probably take you up on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom