1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone want a broken Tag Heuer?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Doc, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    Dammitalltohell.

On the way out of work this evening I managed to drop my beloved watch of 12 years out of my locker onto the floor, and now it's kaput. The second hand moves in large increments now, like a gear is stripped.

Seriously- I'm majorly bummed out. 12 years I've had this watch! This was the first really expensive item I ever bought myself, kind of a graduation present from High School.

I'm going to look into getting it fixed, but it's seriously showing it's age. The bezel numbers are nearly worn away... The dial looks great, and the crystal has only a few scratches in it- it's a well built watch.

I don't want to drop a grand on a new Tag... How much of a risk do you take by purchasing one of these often faked watches on e-bay?

Sure, I could go buy a $60 casio, but I generally go through about one 'disposable' watch a year... so my Tag (witch I bought for about $500 on clearance at a jeweler who was getting out of buisness) has cost me about 42$ a year to own. Good luck finding a decent watch for that price.

Besides, I WANT another tag... They're so niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

2. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

I'll take it!

edit.
    Yes they are very nice, I havent looked for any on ebay but one of our acounts sells them, I could ask around to see if it can be fixed, If you can post a pic or any info, I will see what I can do
    Good luck :cheers:

3. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    I'd get a Casio and drop the rest on a nice Garand.....;)

4. beno

beno 23424-23216 Moderator GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Go to eBay and get a used one.

My brother got a nice early 90's F1 for about $390.

Great condition and he spent another $30 to have it authorized as a legit Tag at a Tag seller.

Sorrytohearyourloss. I too am a huge Tag fan.
    -o-

5. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

My dad is a jeweler, and they can usually get parts to fix almost any decent watch. I honestly have no clue what a new movement and dial would cost to get you fixed up. I'd stop by a couple jewelry shops and see what the parts would cost.

6. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, Dan, the Garand goes without saying! ;) Maybe two of them in time....

Here's a shot of the now non-ticking Heuer. F1 style (IIRC).

If I'm going to buy something new, I'd like something a little more modern this time around. Saw a nice one at Costco the last time I was there.... for $990!

[​IMG]

7. dryfly

dryfly

I suprised just a drop to the floor damaged it.

8. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

Sounds like you busted a pallet jewel. Maybe you messed up the hairspring, but I doubt it. They are pretty resilient, and wrapping a spring hasn't been a major issue since the advent of the Breguet coil-over spring in the 1880s. :)

My money is on a pallet jewel. It's practically impossible that you stripped a gear.

If so, you'll need a new pallet fork, so in that case go for an overhaul. Might as well since they will be in there.

Shd cost abt $200. If they want more, let me know, I'll see if I can find out something for you, if you don't mind sending it to someone.

Wait, I just noticed on the picture that it's a quartz. Forget all that. :) In that case I don't know, cause I refuse to own or work on quartzes.

But it still stands that if you can't find anyone willing to do it for $200 or so, let me know, I might be able to hook you up.

Good luck.

Fred

9. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

Here's a suggestion for you too: You said the second hand was skipping?

Is it rythmic? Like does it skip every 4 seconds?

If so, you might have a bad battery. I know for a fact that Omega quartzes begin skipping every 4 seconds when the battery is low, as an indicator to you that it's time to replace the battery.

I'd bet TAG does something similar since they get their Movements from ETA, the company that is owned by Omega.

Maybe it's possible it was skipping like that before, and you only noticed it when you surveyed it for damage after you dropped it?

Or maybe when you dropped it, you loosened the battery out of it's clasp.

Maybe you're in luck. :)

Fred

P.S.: I only come to the board a couple times a week, so if you have any specific questions email me direct at fred.broschart at gmail dot com

10. Critter

Critter

I have a F1 Chrono Tag Heuer that looks similar to that one except it has a chronograph.

[​IMG]

Awesome watches!

I want to get my Dad's Omega Speedmaster (moon watch) fixed though. My Mom bought it for him in the 70's and they still make them today.

11. dtrout

dtrout

Friend of mine has been waiting for his to break so that he could send it back and get a new one from the company. Might want to check that out before selling it.

12. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

I'd advise against that.

The premium watch companies will repair a watch out of warranty if it's clearly a workmanship error, and you complain enough. Warranties are usually only a year.

Cracked jewels, and other trauma-induced problems and corroded movements are not considered workmanship issues. And yes, they can tell.

My guess is that if he breaks it and requests a new watch, TAG will tell him, in the most polite swiss way possible, to go pound sand.

They didn't become the richest people in the world by giving lots of stuff away.

Fred

13. sisukid1975

sisukid1975

What's wrong with it?

Fred

14. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    My Baume & Mercier is doing the skip every 4 seconds with the second hand, and its telling me a battery change is needed.

15. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    Hey Fred,

My Timex has been.......:whoops: never mind :eek:

16. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

Dude, drop her once, she cries out, and now the 12 year affair is over?

That is a quality piece. ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

A reputable repair shop will get you back on track for less money than a Seiko, and you will still have a TAG and won't have to spend $$$$.

She's your buddy, don't abandon her now!

17. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

Oh, and order her a new bezel! Put some pins in the band, or put a new one on and go 12 more with ease.

18. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    Pins in the band? What? The band is fine... fits great.

In the past when the battery has died it just quit ticking, none of this skipping stuff.

19. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

I just meant that for a whole lot less money than buying another, you can keep the old girl and spruce her up a bit.

My tag took some hits, and the band had started to be a little loose (from the body), so I replaced the 2 pins and it brought eveything back to specs.

I spent too much a few years ago, but I plan on my professional series lasting a long, long time.

Anyway, just my O. Save her.

20. Critter

Critter

Its aged, the bezel and what not need to be replaced or repaired. The glass is scratched, etc.

He found a guy that will completely redo it for 600 bucks which is a deal considering its emotional value and the fact a new one now retails for ~3000.

http://www.watchesplanet.com/omega_moon_watch.php

He never wears it anymore, he wears a big ass Casio G-Shock.