Anyone using Yakima roof rack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thinking of getting a Yakima A1 gutter style roof rack for my 60. I need a rack to cary a 10'4" long surfboard, looks like good option. Anyone using one of these racks?

I'm using a Yakima rack on my Expedition for carrying a rooftop tent. But this fits the factory rails.

I use a Thule on my 60, and it is a good rack also. No problems with 100 lbs. + loads, so a surf board should be a piece of cake.

M

I've got one. It is on, and I used it once so far.

I have some discontinued Yakima "load stops" (little L shaped "feet" that slide onto the bar) that help a lot for carrying misc. lumber etc., for weekend projects.

I bought the bars from a member here, and the A-1 towers off of Ebay.

You can spend the money on new, but I got great everything for really cheap. Sold my Yakima set-up from my 00 4Runner (on the first day) and have money left over.

Work great IMO.

My Cruiser was rust free, EXCEPT for a small spot where the PO (How ya doing, InfoJunky!??) had a Thule rack, and water had collected around one of the feet.

I pulled the chrome trim, fixed that spot, dug all of the seam filler out of the gutter all-around, put in new, primed, and bought color matched paint. Point is, make sure the body seam filler is in good condition, and that water drains on by/past the gutter mounts.

PM me if you need more info.

I was looking at the racks on EBay...lotsa towers going fot about $40, but very few cross bars.

No crome trim here...I had rust running fast on rain gutter and had to replace some gutter on back with new metal. Its been rpainted, resealed, and garage kept.

gott um on my truck, use them for surfboards and mountainbike.
no comlaints for those uses.

I think I got mine for $31 on Ebay, + shipping.

Try putting up a wanted thread here, seems like someone had some (the ones I bought here were new for about $40 IIRC)

Yep, use the same rack on both the 40 and 60, just adjust the width. I carry either one or two 17' Dagger Legend canoes on the rack, with both canoes the weight total is ca. 150 lbs. Keep it tightened as much as you can to limit side-to-side flexing. All of the Cruisers on which I've used these racks at some point develop leaks and I think it's due to the racks mildly beating on the gutters (the side-to-side flexing). Also use the racks to carry seines which I use for collecting fish.

got them and love them...check out the sig for a pick.

Ive got one on my 60. Ive had it for like ten years and its been on my 84' 4Runner, my FJ40, my FJ55 and now my FJ60. I have it for the bikes, but I have hauled a couple hundred pounds of wood on it too. I am going to fab a full length rack and use the Yak legs for it.

As for used, if you can find the towers, but not the crossbars, I think its just 1" black pipe. The Yak bars have a plastic coat on them, but hey, cheap is cheap.

Hope that helps, Hodag

I bought my Yakima rack in 1984! It's been on my Tercel, my Subaru Wagon, My Acura, my Dodge Minivan, my 60 series and my 80 series. I have a bunch of different feet, different length bars, and different gear specific attachments. It is great. I have a real expedition roof rack now, so the Yakima is temporarily doing garage duty, but it will be back in action soon!

I have carried skis, canoes, rocket boxes, bikes, lumber, fishing rods, a radial arm saw (someone should have died, but it worked out ok). I've had 6 bikes on top of the minivan at once, and no issues at all. Once you have one of these racks, it becomes part of your life. For surfboards, it will be ideal.

I've got one on my 60, works amazingly well. I'd suggest finding the little L feet, they're awesome. I use mine to carry boats mainly (V-15/Laser etc,) I've had in excess of 300lbs on it and had no issues. Make sure you get long bars, you'll thank youself later.

Also, go with the little wings that go on the bar instead of the full visor to stop the wind noise, they're much more manageable.

Yakima - good stuff.

Would recommend towers for a FJ60. Might want to check out the 3" risers for the towers. High towers ? If you are real handy you can cut the risers down to adjust the height of the cross bars. With the full 3" it's way high on a FJ60. Could go with a 1" bump in front and a 2" bump in the rear. Give some slope.

Yakima pipe OD is 1 & 1/8th inches. The Yakima black coating is 1/16th of an inch thick. Normal 1 inch uncoated pipe will work too. Neat trick is to get the cross bar pipe in 1" stainless schedule 40. Won't rust. Endcaps help too. All this stuff is available online if you need the small parts. Recommend www.rei.com (no affialiation).

If you go with the Yakima pipe the longest lengh 78" is stronger than the shorter pipes. 78" line up nicely with the outside edge of the side mirrors.

Another neat trick is to put upolstery knock down under the towers where they interface with the roof (similar to the stuff that hold down the headliner to the door jam). Helps protect the raingutter weather puddy againsts leaks and movement.

The roof rails are not quite parallel either so think where you want the rack before you bolt it up. Front cross member will probably have a slightly shorter span than the rear.

Recommend having the front cross bar line up with the 'B' pillar. Will help eliminate wind noise. If you use straps, before you buckle down put a 180 degree twist in the strap before going back into the buckle. Stops your straps from humming.

HTH,
Cahil

WALoeIII said:
Also, go with the little wings that go on the bar instead of the full visor to stop the wind noise, they're much more manageable.
BWAHAHAHA!!!

A 60 owner, giving advice on wind noise!

Priceless. :D

polarweasel said:
BWAHAHAHA!!!

A 60 owner, giving advice on wind noise!

Priceless. :D

Seriously-I have tire noise, 2F noise, exhaust noise, unexplained noise, but no wind noise even with a full Tradesman rack!

cahil's got the right idea. Home Depot will even cut the pipe to the
exact length you want. yes, buy the pipe caps and some good strong
black plastic tape, take the time to wrap the bars. SOOO much
cheaper than the Yakima pipe. I've also run Yak racks on four
different rigs for over ten years. Swear by 'em. I have plenty
of Yakima Pipe...wanted longer though and the home depot cut
stuff works great!

my two cents,

jrr

I have used the thule style (and knock offs) for over 20 years. I like them better for the square vs round cross bars. Gives more surface area for the load to sit on. For surfboards, watch how you strap down because of pressure indentations. You can use pipe insulation to minimize this (Home depot, etc). Also, make sure you use anti-seize on all threaded parts as corrosion will lock them up, especially in Fla.

Finally, make sure you bag or rinse your board before mounting on racks. I have seen entire pickup beds rust out due to surf related salt!

My Thule-vs-Yakima decision was really easy. The only Thule snowboard carrier that would fit my car's factory crossbars would only hold two boards. The Yakima one that fit was a bit wider, and would fit four boards. So when I got a rack for the 60, my decision was already made. I found some feet and bars on eBay, and had a nearly-new rack for under $50 with shipping. :)

Incidentally, Livetoski, Thule bars will bend more easily than Yakimas. I have bent the Thules by stepping on them, but not Yakimas...

What ever floats your boat, 3Putt. I have the regular 1-As just like the link, and I have about 4-5" between the bars and the roof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom