Anyone using the magnaflow y-pipe and cats? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone using the magnaflow y-pipe and cats? / Install

Looking at replacing most of my exhaust (ypipe, 2nd cat, and muffler) and don't quite have the cash for OEM or EMS but also not sure I want to go down the bosal path either.

Magnaflow makes at least the ypipe and 2nd cat. Is anyone running these, and if so, how is it working out? Was it a direct fit?

I have a mail in to magnaflow asking what type of metal they are made out of, etc.

The prices aren't too much more than the bosal stuff. Maybe its a nice middle ground option? If it fits, of course...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CJjH1O2T_7YCFZOHMgodVEcAqQ

http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/23622/10002/-1

Last edited:
Holy crap! Didn't even know that existed! I look forward to replies also.

What are the chances of this being stainless steel? Also, skip the second cat. the 1 cat should be fine. Others here have just replaced both cats with 1 magnaflow cat and haven't thrown a code even after years of use. But for $245 ill get this whole unit possibly.

Thanks!

We have had customers bring those by our shop for us to install in the past. The ones I have seen so far from Magnaflow were a lower grade of 400 series stainless steel which still rusts, unlike 304 stainless steel that we use. And crush bent. Last one I saw was over a year ago, not sure of they're still the same or not. They fit okay, about on par with the Bosal stuff. Didn't fit as good as OEM. But it went on with some encouragement from a rubber hammer and a prybar.

If you need to replace yours and dont.have the budget for an OEM or EMSPowered setup, I would highly recommend the Magnaflow/Bosal route instead of welding the old stuff.

I agree with baktasht; my experience with Magnaflow stuff (never seen one for an 80 though), it was either 409SS or 439SS. Very typical material for automotive exhaust, and right on par with factory in terms of material. Certainly will corrode over time, but way better than aluminized steel crap that others sell that will flake away in 5 years or so.

Thanks for the reply's all.

I heard back from Magnaflow. The assembly is 409 Stainless and the cat's are 3 way. They believe them to be simply a bolt in piece with no modifications required. Unfortunately they don't have a bolt in muffler so if I want to replace that as well then I might have to try the Bosal one (but its aluminized steel). Or weld up a bit on the OEM one.

I'll probably give it a shot here at some point since I think the coolant being burned from a bad HG as well as 185k miles has worn out the current cats.

Last edited:
For the muffler I highly recommend StainlessWorks.

Custom stuff - but post cat you're going to want a custom pipe over the frame rail aren't you?

So I ended up going this route + the Borla Cat back system. Started the install today. By far the most time consuming was removing the old exhaust. I wanted to leave it intact incase any of the new parts don't fit with each other. Had to remove unbolt the upper end of the rear panhard bar to get the rear section off. Bolts on the exhaust were rusty and some needed to be cut off.

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

Very nice... It looks like the cat on the Magnaflow piece is turned 90* from the stock units?

I purchased the Mangaflow y pipe and cat as well as the Bosal 304 SS cat-back. I picked up the parts on Friday and hope to get it installed this week by my mechanic. The exh cost just under US$1000, but all the installation "hardware" from the local Toyota dealer cost me just over CAN$200. :doh:. I'll try to post up some pics once everything is installed.

So I ended up going this route
Glad to hear! Make sure to post up your after install impressions.

I stand by what I said in the begining of the thread..... Looks like I'll be getting the Magnaflow pipe also! Probably go with the Bosal muffler though.

I'm running cat-less. Looks like my sliders will need massaging to get the cat to fit. Will also need to make O2 block offs as mike are installed on the manifolds.

I wonder if they are crush bent or mandrel.

They appear to be mandrel bent.

Very nice... It looks like the cat on the Magnaflow piece is turned 90* from the stock units?

Yep. The first cat is turned 90 degrees. The second cat it appears can be mounted either direction. There was no flow arrow on that cat so could be mounted either way.

I purchased the Mangaflow y pipe and cat as well as the Bosal 304 SS cat-back. I picked up the parts on Friday and hope to get it installed this week by my mechanic. The exh cost just under US$1000, but all the installation "hardware" from the local Toyota dealer cost me just over CAN$200. :doh:. I'll try to post up some pics once everything is installed.

I hear ya! I think I spent about $120 on mounting hardware.

Glad to hear! Make sure to post up your after install impressions.

I stand by what I said in the begining of the thread..... Looks like I'll be getting the Magnaflow pipe also! Probably go with the Bosal muffler though.

I'm running cat-less. Looks like my sliders will need massaging to get the cat to fit. Will also need to make O2 block offs as mike are installed on the manifolds.

I got most if it mounted but haven't had a chance to post up more pics yet. Impression of the magnaflow is positive at this point. It seemed that the ypipe bolted up quite well to the manifold. Will need to retorque studs/nuts soon but it doesn't "appear" to leak exhaust. No hammer required for installation. Quality seems pretty good. Snugged right up to the support mount in the engine bay. O2 sensor had no issues bolting up, though due to its slightly different placement I'd recommend (and have) purchase an additional shield for it.

For the borla system cat back, it pretty much bolted up with the magnaflow system. I think there is just enough variance between the two vs. stock that it doesn't fit quite right. pretty darn close though. THe mounts on the borla system are sub-par. I'm still waiting for a few more extra hardware bolts to try and finish it up.

Had mine installed yesterday. The garage says that the flange for my first O2 sensor broke during the install. They said I could buy just the flange off of EBay. Does this sound right? It is a Toyota OEM one.
First impressions are good. Has a bit of rumble when hitting the gas at idle and a bit louder than stk on highway. I'll post up some pics this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom