Anyone used one of these camp ovens? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had one years ago. It worked okay, I think I "cooked" frozen pizza and chicken pot pie type dinners in it...not real efficent with the fuel...but better than eating every thing out of a pan...

If your gonna have a fire a dutch oven works as well, cept it weights about 15# more..

I brought one to Japan because it's foldable and is easy to pack. Used it on the beach on top of a hibachi as a smoker. The salmon came out excellent and the chicks dug it. More Sapporo for me! Left it with a local and would buy one again. Walmart has ‘em pretty cheap.

Aussie Camp Ovens

We use things like this for baking, boiling, stewing, frying, everthing really.
My old man was known as "The Camp Oven Mystro"

Do they have these in the states??

http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/index.htm
Albion1.jpg

Any new reviews on the Coleman Camp Oven? I'm looking to pick one up for my trip on the con at the end of next month.

My Cooler takes up most of the room in the cruiser, so I want to try to be as miserly with space as I can. Plus, I will have my two boys and possibly a friend in the truck too.

Fresh Cookies and lasagna on the con sounds just wonderful..

And yes I have Dutch ovens, and no I do not want to pack them on a short run through the con.

Okay unlocked.. no clue why it got locked to begin with..

I don't know about the coleman, but our local Costco currently has a camp oven that looks about the same size, maybe a little taller. the difference being it has its own heat supply, and has two stove burners on top. the door has a window so you can see how the baking is coming. I looked on their we bsite, but it isn't listed, I guess because it is seasonal. Most of our Costco's camping stuff is gone, or almost gone, although I was there today and there were still some ovens. not sure of the performance, but it looked like it would work better than the coleman that you set on top of your stove.

Twoyotas,
You're thinking of the Camp Chef Camp Oven. Yep, it's a two burner stove with a nice little oven to bake in. We really like ours and it bakes great, but way more weight, needs a gas bottle, etc vs the Coleman oven.

What they've been discussing is a fold-up oven designed to sit on top of a burner. I have one and have used it with varying success. First, make sure you have a lot of BTUs. It's is relatively heat leaky because of it's fold-up nature. Puny stoves and ones with issues like a bad gas generator tube will struggle to get it hot.

Adequate stoves make it work OK, but it can be guesswork trying to get things baked right in it. The cost is generally reasonable and it does pack small, so if it doesn't work for you then no big deal. Practice some in it before trying that impressive meal to impress your significant other, as it takes a little experience before you can get the most out of it.

If weight, space, and costs are not issues, I'd prefer our Camp Chef gas oven or a dutch oven over the Coleman folding oven.

yes, you are right it was a Camp Chef. The gas bottle really isn't an issue when comparing the two, as the stove you set the coleman oven on needs a gas bottle. I just meant that the Camp Chef oven is being heated from within the oven. I wouldn't doubt it is heavier than the coleman, but then that probably helps it perform better. I was really just putting the option out there, especially since it is currently available at Costco prices.

I have considered both, but haven't convinced myself I NEED either. If I do, I might lean towards the Camp Chef, now that I see someone likes theirs.

question for you, can you use the stove burners while you are baking something?

Yes, you can use the top burners while the oven is in use with the Camp Chef stove.

We have a trailer, so space isn't much (considering all the amenities we drag along) of an issue. The Camp Chef stove is pretty large relative to the Coleman Folding Oven.

The Camp Chef will run off the small throwaway bottles of gas, so you don't need a large tank with it if space is an issue.

The Camp Chef is a clearly superior oven, so if you like to bake that's the way to go. The oven doesn't have a thermostat, so depends on you setting the heat in it by adjusting the oven burner with the control dial via the built-in thermometer. The oven door also has a mechanism that allows you to crack the oven door open a little to further help control the temp. This makes it sounds complicated, but it really is easy to use once you've baked in it. Basically, you adjust things until you get your set temp, then the oven will hold that temp.

We bought the Camp Chef carry bag. This helps protect the stove in transit. I cut a small piece of thin foam to slip into it on the front side to help protect the oven door glass better.

There are a couple of threads in this forum with more info on the Camp Chef stove. People seem pretty happy with them overall.

Last edited:
thanks for the feedback/review Greentruck! I am definitely leaning towards the camp chef now. maybe I should go back to Costco today... fresh hot cinnamon rolls in the morning? mmmmm

I prefer those orange rolls found in the dairy case, but am not adverse to cinnamon rolls, either:grinpimp:

The beauty of the Camp Chef is it brings the most important conveniences of home cooking to the outdoors. I still use my dutch ovens, but if I want a quick breakfast with biscuits, rolls, or whatever the Camp Chef wins.

The Camp Chef also seems popular with the significant other crowd, just like hot showers and nice porta-potties, which has its own benefits...;)

Go with the Camp Chef

I fanally broke down last week and ordered the Camp Chief oven. I normally cook on the camp fire but the majority if not all of the Colorado Rockies are banning camp fires. It really screws with meal prep but I completely understand and respect the Forest Services restrictions. Taking the family up for the FJ Cruiser Summit in Ouray, CO.
I chose the burner grill combo and am extremely happy with my purchase. Be sure and get the storage bag also, the oven door has glass in it.
Go to Amazon.com, it will save you a few bucks and shipping was very reasonable. Think I paid $219 versus pricing I saw from $249 to $315.

Camp Chef Outdoor Camp Oven with Grill : OutdoorCooking.com

The camp chef oven is way too big. And about $160 more expensive than the Coleman. I really am looking for people with experience with the Coleman.

The camp chef oven is way too big. And about $160 more expensive than the Coleman. I really am looking for people with experience with the Coleman.

Mace,
The Coleman Folding Stove does work. You need something that will put out a lot of BTUs to use it effectively. I have an Australian-made three-burner LP stove I bought in the late 1970s. For whatever reason, it cooked just fine doing something in a pan on it, but it really didn't have the output to get the Coleman Oven up to full heat.

I have used the Coleman Oven on a typical Coleman white gas stove with OK results. I suppose it would work well on a woodstove or camp fire if you can get it going well (but camp fires are iffy for many out West right now.)

But the Coleman Oven really doesn't compare in ease of use or flexibility of the Camp Chef.

I have a Coleman oven that I've used with both a Coleman white gas stove, and an original version MSR backpacking stove as well as on top of a fire. Both stoves have enough heat output to use the oven. Wind screens are very important. It's been a number of years since I've used it. Getting the right temperature for whatever you are baking can be difficult. I used a 0-500F dial thermometer with a 6" post to help me get the oven to the right temperature. Another possibility would be to use a standard oven thermometer, but then you have to open the oven. I stuck the post of the dial thermometer though a hole in the side of the oven. I think an oven thermometer is what mom used when we went camping when I was a kid. Yeah, my oven dates back to the '60s.

SNIP ... Yeah, my oven dates back to the '60s.

They really haven't changed much except the box it comes in.

Your comment about the need for wind screening with the Coleman Oven is a very good point.

That got me thinking...I wonder if that aluminum foil tape that HVAC guys use would help seal the oven up once deployed? The drawback might be the glue on the tape, but maybe it'll just cook off then be OK?

From what I understand, a simple foil windscreen draped over the oven helps loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom