Anyone use one of those $80 carbs off of amazon? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered one of those $80 carbs off amazon for a 1969 and up fj40. Anyone try one? I have a 1971 motor in my 1962 and my rebuilt carb has been nothing but problems, runs like it has a vacuum leak but cannot find one and the float sticks after sitting for a long time. Sick of taking it apart, so going to throw on one of these $80 ones an see what happens. but wondering if anyone has used one. If it works well I will throw one on my 1980 that is still waiting to be rebuilt so I could at least run the engine and move it around.

I bought one of these because my recently rebuilt carb was having issues with the float, and a couple other minor things. I basically bought it with the idea that it would be used for spares.

I pulled the float out of it and put it in my carb and it fixed my issue. It’s surprisingly well built for $80, but I’m sure the materials aren’t as high quality as the original aisin.

As far as I could tell it was identical to factory. I swapped a few pieces here and there to test it out and it was fine.

Amazon product ASIN B07XDQMLBN

Maybe Mark @65swb45 can address the height of the carb over the years. These are made for a air cleaner that uses a stud not a clamp. That would work on the 3/69-9/69 and then 75+ in the US market. Not sure the 69 version is the same height as 75+ . The 69 also used a cable for the accelerator. Believe it a 9/73+ was linkage.

for 80 bucks it would make spares is all i would trust it for.

I have had great luck with these cheap carbs on smaller applications like my Stihl equipment and larger chipper engines. I was looking at $125 for a Stihl carb and through a $12 one from ebay on there and it has been flawless for years. Thought I would give it a try, and hold on to the old one. Hopefully I can do the same on the 1980. I have never tried to rebuild that carb, but this one technically is already desmogged! Will have to pay attention to the linkage next time I am where that one is stored.

Finally got around to bolting it on. The shaft on the front of the carb sticks out and interfered with the fitting on the spacer that goes to the engine block PCV. Bent that down a little bolted on the new carb and it starts right up, idles great and revs up better then it ever has, and sounds real smooth. I moved the dist advance vacuum line to the ported port on the carb and plugged the one on the manifold it did go to. Thats how it was when I got it. Now it runs even better. Only issue is I have to rig up the throttle, it has a bracket for the choke cable but not the throttle, and the old one will not fit. But for $80 this is awesome how well it runs now, will probably clean out the old one put in a box and shelf it and order one for my 1980 FJ40 as well. The 1980 engine was desmoged but not the carb and it has never been rebuilt or cleaned, for $80 it solves all those issue.

Did you open it up and check for debis ?

Or bolt it right up? I see they come with a carb jet cleaning rods ... did it come with those ... the China carbs for a while had that issue

I just bolted it right up, never even thought about opening it up. The one I got did not have the cleaning rods, just the carb. Had to get the base gaskets off of SOR. If I opened it up and it has some super cheap gasket that ripped I would have been real pissed at myself for doing that. I hope it did not have any debris in it.

Will these work on any 2F 1/75-7/87? Obviously not going to work on F engines back to 69. Think one of these would be a good for testing to see if the current carburetor is a problem or as a temporary carburetor for when the OEM carburetor is out for a professional rebuild by one of the experts. While I only have a 76 and 79 FJ40s that had a 2F seems I have at least seven 2Fs from 75-79.

Will these work on any 2F 1/75-7/87? Obviously not going to work on F engines back to 69. Think one of these would be a good for testing to see if the current carburetor is a problem or as a temporary carburetor for when the OEM carburetor is out for a professional rebuild by one of the experts. While I only have a 76 and 79 FJ40s that had a 2F seems I have at least seven 2Fs from 75-79.
That's exactly what I was thinking. It is certainly not throttle cable ready. Im hoping the linkage is a clean interface. I'm going to test it on my 60 and report back.

My OEM carb is due for a rebuild anyway.

It arrived.

Here are pics:
0128201533.jpg

0128201534.jpg

0128201534a.jpg

So....

Single wire to fuel cut.

A few munched screws in the air horn.

Single vac port on air cleaner side (toward valve cover) which i suppose goes to the vac secondary?

No choke breaker

No choke opener

Since im testing this on my 60 I will post a link from that forum here on my install thread. I think it will work for a desmoged later 2F but.....we will see what we need to eliminate. Probably the BVSV. Obviously the CB an CO as well.

Last edited:
I have used 2 of these carbs now. Both run great with no issues. I had to make an adapter to fit the stock air cleaner housing. Other than that, no complaints.

The casting quality isn't the greatest, guessing all the internal parts are as good as those in a rebuild kit.

I have used 2 of these carbs now. Both run great with no issues. I had to make an adapter to fit the stock air cleaner housing. Other than that, no complaints.
You had to adapt it to which air cleaner? Looks to work well with the later air cleaner. I just had to swap out a center stud from one of my spares. I haven't bolted it up yet. Maybe I'm missing something.

I had to make an adapter to use my 1974 air cleaner housing. The new carb was shorter than the old one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom