Anyone use harnesses for on road driving

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by FJ55partsBoise, Dec 3, 2003.

1. FJ55partsBoise

FJ55partsBoise

Anyone have an alternative to using harnesses for daily driving? I have harnesses that are attached to my cage. I'm looking for a seatbelt that works well for daily driving. My OEM lap belts in a 74' FJ40 are not even close to safe enough.

Anyone know of a company that sells really good lap and shoulder belt systems to use for daily driving? I already have four pt harnesses.

I asked this question in a previous post and I think it may have been a bit vague, so here goes with a clear question hopefully.

Thanks as always

2. Archengine

Archengine SILVER Star

I'm doing the same in a few months. For around $80 apiece, Courbeau sells 3 point retractable belts. Now you can feel safe and reach the bag of chips on the passenger floor. Now I just need some good seats to put them on. BTW, at what angle do the 2 rear points go down, and have you had any problems?

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    I have Crow harnesses mounted as per the diagrams in my 40, and use them when I am on and off road. I can see the need for some to have a retractable set up, but I have only ever had this style in this truck since '88, and have gotten used to not having the mobility that the other set ups might provide.

-Steve

4. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    I run RCI 2" 4-point belts...and just tuck the shoulder ones behind me for 99% of my driving, on and offroad. Usually only pull them on for "interesting" situations...

5. Rice

Rice

Media:
    Albums:
    I use the same thing Woody does. You can see pics of it at JEGS or Summitracing.com.

6. FJ55partsBoise

FJ55partsBoise

arch engine- if you're question was for me...I took a piece of square tube and welded it right behind the rear seat, about level with the pad of the seat where your butt sits. Weld across to the base plate I have that on top of my fenders. This square tube is gussetted and boxed in. I took a 2 inch grade eight bolt and cross drilled the square tube. There are two points just to the outside of the seat where I used a long grade eight bolt and mounted the lower harness pts here. Does this help? I think this is similar to what I have seen others do before.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.