Anyone unhappy with camping drawers in their vehicle? Drawers vs cargo boxes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Ridgid boxes are pretty cool. Sturdy, have a gasket seal, lockable, and have sturdy fold down handles on top and sides. The metal bail handles on the sides also serve to lock 2 stacked containers together very securely.

While I don't recommend it, it's mounted to the upper barrier bracket using the mount the fire extinguisher came with. I've since moved it up to the driver's area using a Witt's End mount.

I plan to buy a larger (10lb) extinguisher to mount in the cargo area. But in a different location. Once you' e had to battle a fire you quickly realize that a small one needs to be in hands reach. And a back up is highly desirable too.
Does Wit's End make a fire extinguisher mount for the 100 series? I don't see one on their website.

The KISS Drawer kit is an exceptional value, and exceptional quality. The aluminum frame is very light. The system is removable (should you need to) in about 5 minutes.

Tell your Mrs. that the benefit of the drawer storage is she can hide all of her shopping goodies inside the drawers when she's out & about- keeps things out of sight of the bad guys. That should close the deal.

Also in the camp of "drawers are one of the best things I've done to the truck". Right up there with the fridge slide ;)

Mine were cheap. I found a local guy to help me build them. I probably have about $300 and a weekend into them. Without them, my truck would be an absolute mess. I spend quite a bit of time camping out of the truck and do some longer trips. It's nice to leave them loaded, at any point I can add some water and food and be ready to go.

There is always a U-haul near you for larger stuff.
Yes it has it disadvantages. I cant fit a set of tires in the back, carry bikes inside or pick up some Ikea product BUT its safer not to have gear flying around the cabin, safer at parking lots so people cant see what is inside the truck and easier to have everything organized.
Not having to move 800 things to get to what I need makes it worth it

Guys discuss too many details with their wives, LOL. Just do it! j/k

Drawers are indispensable during travel...esp for important things like eating and sleeping well. #1 pivotal moment that upped my camping game. With drawers you can leave the truck in "overland mode" and still have lots of space for everyday use. I leave my vehicle packed and ready to go at moment's notice - all I have to do is grab a clothes bag, bedding bag, fill the water tank, and stop at the grocery store on the way out.

Yes, they do limit what you can put in the back. But that's what Home Depot $20 van rentals and Ikea door delivery are for. Yes you can't have 3rd row. But that's why you get the wife to drive a minivan.

img_20190610_154120-jpg.2103022

img_20190913_180610-jpg.2103020

I use my KISS drawers almost daily to hide my laptop bag after work & kid’s backpacks after school, etc. You can’t smash & grab what you can’t see and I can park anywhere & run errands without worry.

My cabin looks empty to a prowler but the drawers hide a ton of recovery & camping gear, with plenty of room left for our daily bags, etc. Any cargo taller than 3’ I’ll use my pickup, but seriously there’s still a ton of headroom for misc. Craigslist runs and sleeping (just like @whitenoise’s setup above).

Four (!) sets of snowshoes in one drawer:
32474D45-6A86-4D16-AEC6-519EFDFAEFAD.jpeg

BDC32594-5C13-4C01-94E1-715EA67AE5CC.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom