Anyone try WoolWax yet? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just put a relatively light coat on my new '22 GX using the spray cans.

Inside the frame was kind of a pain but it went well overall. I'm sure I could have put it on thicker but I want to see how it works with what I put on first as I didn't put anything on our 4Runner and I didn't like how the welds staring rusting after awhile.

I hate salt and what it does to our vehicles in the Midwest and I hope to keep the GX for at least 15 years.

I'm still surprised there's no undercoat from the factory on these.

Last edited:
@bob1008 and others using Woolwax. I’ll be applying to my 05 Tacoma this week. It had a new frame 7 years ago but I coated in New England since. Some splotchy surface rust throughout. Should I sand/neutralize/Por-15 it first or will just applying the Woolwax stop rust from going deeper? Thanks!

just ordered the 5 gallon kit! Been meaning to do this for years. New anti icing solution is killing everything up here!

Hey all...recently purchased a '95 that's spent all 25 years in PA. The under carriage looks like it has never been coated (pics attached), so it's really great to have found this thread on Woolwax. I'm in NJ, and trying to figure out how best to approach prolonging it's life. (few pics attached)

Seems that many here may be refreshing previous annual applications of FluidFilm with Woolwax to compare the performance of the two products (and maybe even the ease of application), and would appreciate if you could share your thoughts about applying Woolwax / FluidFilm on a rusty undercarriage that has never been coated before?

In the pics by AbodeOnTheRoad (post #107) looks like the Woolwax was sprayed right over the rust. It looks fantastic, but isn't the existing rust continuing to do it's damage where the Woolwax couldn't reach and the rust can continue to get oxygen?

I'm probably overthinking this, and it may be just a spray-and-forget type thing, but shouldn't the under body be first hit with a grinder and wire brush, then a rust converter application for the areas where any rust remained, and then application of epoxy-prime coating on the frame & wheel wells, and then finally a full spray of Woolwax on everything for protection?

Also, once it's all sprayed with Woolwax, will it be an issue to see future leaks/seepage and do repairs under the vehicle with the Woolwax coating all over everything? I'm not saying maybe keep it unprotected, but wondering if the thick protection layer will make it a problem when trying to work on it.

Just trying to learn before I start down the messy road of trying to fight this long uphill battle. And yeah, I shoulda / coulda / woulda bought a rust-free 80, but sometimes you just get what you get depending on locale and budget and timing.

Really appreciate the knowledge here. Much thanks!

Suj

View attachment 2381461View attachment 2381463View attachment 2381467
Did you ever get an answer on how easy/difficult it is to find mechanical issues after applying or to work on the LC if it's coated?

Did you ever get an answer on how easy/difficult it is to find mechanical issues after applying or to work on the LC if it's coated?
Other than getting messy, it's really not too bad. I'll deal with the mess rather than deal with the rust any day.

So I ended up using FF rather than WW for at least these first few years of my ownership because I wanted to have it creep as much as possible. I may change to WW down the road, but I’m happy with the FF performance. I just check throughout the year and touch up as needed. And do a full respray before winter.

Like others, I’ve found that FF creates sort of a matte look as it picks up road grime and creates a protection layer. Since it’s not shiny, I should be able to identify shiny wet fluid leaks, but fortunately I haven’t had any leaks or had any mechanical issues needing wrenching under there. But it seems that working on it will not be an issue. Just easily wipe up tools and your hands / gloves with blue shop towels and respray the FF to touch it up. No biggie at all. Good luck. Suj

Reactions: 2JG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom