Anyone try this??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone ever tried to fix the Toyota lean (ie. driver's side lower than the passengers') by adding add-a-leafs to the driver's side leaf springs?
Mine leans about an inch and a bit on the driver's side and it's getting to annoy me now. What would be a better fix other than getting new leaf springs?

Old School fix

Has anyone ever tried to fix the Toyota lean (ie. driver's side lower than the passengers') by adding add-a-leafs to the driver's side leaf springs?
Mine leans about an inch and a bit on the driver's side and it's getting to annoy me now. What would be a better fix other than getting new leaf springs?

They sell (or you can make) a small plate that goes in between the spring pack and the ubolt plate on the OPPOSITE side. It lowers the effective height of the opposing side and is said to work for reasons unknown.

put one on my 55 and it seemed to help

They sell (or you can make) a small plate that goes in between the spring pack and the ubolt plate on the OPPOSITE side. It lowers the effective height of the opposing side and is said to work for reasons unknown.

That would be for SUA of course.

I heard about these shims(??) called "spring packers". The way they're described makes sense but I don't want to lower the passenger side I want to raise the sagging side. Lowering the "good" side sort of defeats the purpose of getting the vehicle lifted, especially when trying to clear the tires from rubbing.

I donno if any of you have noticed this or not, but the rear upper shock mounts are off from one side to the other. The DS is in boarded more than the PS...
I donno if this would have anything to do with the DS lean or not, but it is a difference and SORTA seems that it could be a cuplrit.
I too have a lean to the DS, and it bugs me some too.

Interesting

Chicago

...Just get Alcan's. :D

i have zero lean (right now, at least! :D)

The shock offset it for exhaust clearance.

Dynosoar:zilla:

The wrong way to correct vehicle lean is by adding a longer spring shackle or add-a-leaf on one side only. These remedies actually affect the rate of spring deflection/travel from side-to-side, consequently the axle housing twists under the vehicle every time you hit an oh-my-gosh. This increases the vehicle's propensity to lean sharply to the left or right side on every bump.

Mine leans to the passenger side. :frown:

But I don't really care... I think :doh:

87HJ60,

I have recently purchased a '83 FJ60 that I converted to diesel. This truck also has a driver side lean. I measured the difference and it's 1" lower at the front and 1 3/4" at the rear.
The PO had installed OME springs so I called ARB USA tech support. I spoke with a tech named Nils who explained that their REAR spring sets are side specific. (Fronts are not) Apparently there is a weight difference on our trucks (driver side being heavier) and the OME solution is to make the driver side rear spring pack a little taller then the passenger side. This is done by arch and length, not spring count or thickness.
If this info is accurate, then I think Toyota would have done the same with the origonal springs. I did not question Nils on my logic, but my assumption is an opening for anyone who can confirm or contradict my postulate.
I recommend you measure your truck and see if the rear is more severe than the front. If the rear is more severe, than I recommend you attack the rear problem first, as the front may be following the rears.
I have a possible solution in that my OME springs may be installed in the reverse position. I'll let you know what I find, though it may take a few weeks to get to the task.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom