Anyone tried this winching method? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's great learning new things..... That is different.

Sent from my iPod touch using IH8MUD

Nothing new here. This approach has been around since a couple of days after the first motorcar got mired on a rain soaked muddy road.

Mark...

I buried up a friends 4x2 tractor clearing out a duck hole a couple years ago. It was down a narrow road that was fairly hard to get to. One of his co-workers and him went back out and used a long chain wrapped around the rear tire/wheel...in low gear the tractor pulled itself out no problem! He said it crushed down the tire pretty good, but it worked to get the tractor free.
Same principle, just w/o the mount-on wheel.
Cool and all, but I'm not sure I'd try that on my Cruiser!

Now, if only you could have a separate, smaller wheel mounted up front, specifically for winching. Maybe with its own 'gear' on the transmission/t-case...

Oh, wait, I just invented PTO. Never mind.

One thing that comes to mind is that in the situations where you'd be able to get at the hub like that, to bolt it on, you wouldn't have any problem (much more quickly) jamming a bridging/sand ladder under there. Plus, less opportunity for dropping lug nuts into the mud, getting flustered and forgetting to get all the lugs tight, etc. Also, it seems like in really runny muck, this thing would be next to useless without a locker on the axle.

In sloppy situations on older, simpler more basic rigs like were out there when this concept came to be, they were often dealing with sloppy stretches of dirt road on their way to town rather than swamps and marshes. But sand ladders get you a couple of feet forward IF you can get them under the tire. Have you ever tried to jack a rig up in muddy mess and get something like a sand ladder underneath it? Sounds cool... it ain't fun.

(I have only once been able to use a sand ladder to good effect in over 30 years of off road travel. And in that case we were still mobile enough to back up and drop the "ladder" on the ground to bridge a small hole and provide traction up the beginning of a muddy bank.)

The drum winch for the rope could be attached before entry into the stretch where stuckage was anticipated. Or even left on ther wheel for longer term. One on each rear wheel would be almost required in any but the easiest of "stucks".

It was a slightly outside of the box approach when it was first figured out to get the model A truck out of the mud to get home from market.. Few positives to make it worth using these days. Although it does make for a powerful winch with full vehicle power applied to the cable. ;)

Mark...

One thing that comes to mind is that in the situations where you'd be able to get at the hub like that, to bolt it on, you wouldn't have any problem (much more quickly) jamming a bridging/sand ladder under there. Plus, less opportunity for dropping lug nuts into the mud, getting flustered and forgetting to get all the lugs tight, etc. Also, it seems like in really runny muck, this thing would be next to useless without a locker on the axle.
The video shows that you replace your current lug nuts with their extended ones which engage in a machined slot in the winch drum.
Also they were running one of these on each side of the vehicle, therefore there is no load on the diff, and no need for lockers.

You are still right, a winch is a better solution and it takes up a lot less space than carrying two spares rims everywhere....

sounds like the old mcain hub winch from the 70s,have used cable between the duals on my 6x6 to get out also.

There are many situations where this set-up wouldn't work well. Often when seriously stuck, you just need to get out as quickly as can be done (safely) w/o much prep & thought. Don't forget about stress & the adrenaline factor when in a tough situation. If the ground is bad enough to get seriously stuck, the mud/snow/water might be up to your knees & sucking your boots off with every step.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom